April Fool's joke by Kam Martin

The April Fool's Day joke Kam Martin played after Auburn's 2nd spring scrimmage

Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

Kam Martin played an apparent April Fool's joke on the media after Auburn's second spring scrimmage last weekend.

The speedy sophomore running back is competing for the No. 3 spot in the Tigers' backfield, but according to him, he was also splitting some time at another position: defensive back.

"Yeah, we're keeping that low-key," Martin said Saturday.

The 5-foot-10, 188-pounder was asked if it was an April Fool's Day prank, considering the scrimmage was held on April 1, and he hesitated to commit one way or the other, acting coy with media surrounding him in the media room at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

The move would make sense this spring, especially if Martin were to see time at safety, where Auburn has just three scholarship players on campus: seniors Tray Matthews, Stephen Roberts and Nick Ruffin.

Whether Martin was serious or having fun during his post-scrimmage interview, defensive coordinator Kevin Steele put that talk to rest on Tuesday.

"No, but it would be fun," Steele said when asked if Martin was taking any reps at defensive back. "Don't forget the head coach (Gus Malzahn) used to call plays here and that's on offense. I don't think we will be moving Kam Martin to defense any time soon."

The secret behind Auburn running back Kam Martin's added weight? PB&J sandwiches

The secret behind Auburn running back Kam Martin's added weight? PB&J sandwiches

A childhood staple has helped Auburn running back Kam Martin pack on 16 pounds since arriving at Auburn last summer.

Martin rushed for 320 yards and three touchdowns on 44 carries as a freshman last year, averaging 7.27 yards per carry as Auburn's No. 3 option out of the backfield behind Kamryn Pettway and Kerryon Johnson. Martin has added 16 pounds since arriving on campus last summer and is again competing for the third running back spot, this time with Malik Miller and walk-on C.J. Tolbert.

As far as safety goes, Steele said the defense is doing some mixing and matching on the back end to develop depth behind the team's three seniors.

"(Jeremiah) Dinson's had some safety work, Daniel Thomas has had some safety work and so we're kind of moving some guys around in that area," Steele said.

lets hope this april fools day article lasts longer than the story i printed about auburn and the bear and tiddlywinks. it was deleted pretty quick suggesting to me that some mods do not have a sense of humor or are maybe too power hungry? and since it was not stated where it was moved and i have not seen it anymore i assume it was deleted.

6 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

lets hope this april fools day article lasts longer than the story i printed about auburn and the bear and tiddlywinks. it was deleted pretty quick suggesting to me that some mods do not have a sense of humor or are maybe too power hungry? and since it was not stated where it was moved and i have not seen it anymore i assume it was deleted.

55 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Never seen a funny April Fool's joke.

Well, there was that one time I switched contents of the sugar bowl with that of the salt shaker, but

Mom (unbeknownst to me, hostess to an Officers-Wives coffee that day) was not at all amused.

Archived