Marquis McClain

aubiefifty

What to expect from the only Auburn receiver you haven't seen play

Wesley Sinor | wsinor@al.com

Marquis McClain is the only scholarship wide receiver on the current Auburn roster that has not played in front of fans yet, but that will change on Saturday.

The 6-foot-2, 218-pounder from Crestview, Fla., is set to make his debut at Jordan-Hare Stadium during the A-Day spring scrimmage.

McClain was part of Auburn's heralded 2016 wide receiver class that included Nate Craig-Myers, Kyle Davis and Eli Stove. McClain was the lowest-rated recruit of the four and the only one to receiver a redshirt, but coaches and teammates alike have praised his physicality and progress throughout the spring.

"He's a talented guy, he really is," said Auburn offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey Thursday night. "He's come a long ways this spring. Physically, he's really gifted. He's done some really, like today he had one really good catch across the middle. I think he's improved.

Last month after Auburn's second scrimmage, which was closed to fans and the media, senior receiver Jason Smith was impressed with McClain's ability and potential once he gets acclimated.

"When he calms down and gets comfortable, it's going to be dangerous," Smith said. "He's got a ton of athleticism. ... His physicality, his speed. He's 220, and he probably runs a 4.3 (40-yard dash) at receiver. He's the biggest receiver we've got in the room. I can't wait to see him develop and grow up and make plays for our team."

Lindsey feels playing in a game-type environment in front of fans will only help the youngster.

"I think Marquis just needs to get on the field and play some and obviously the bumps and bruises of being a young player, but I do think he's improved," he said. "Going against our defense every day has made him a lot better." 

Auburn's A-Day Game is set for 1 p.m. Saturday. Check out McClain and other Auburn receivers work in spring practices in the video below.

sorry i cannot load vids guys. also an update on willis is on his thread.would not want ya to miss me hard work  lol.

Can he be our Duke?..Albeit w/o the off the field problems. We need a guy that the DC has to worry about accounting for...Must Double team and also can go up and get it in the red zone with sal cannela. 

Archived