2017 FSU OL Grad Transfer Wilson Bell commits to AU!

ellitor

636271690846011604-bell.jpg

FSU head coach Jimbo Fisher announced that Bell was looking to transfer at the beginning of spring practice. He will graduate in April, and be immediately eligible to play for the Tigers.

Bell started 19 games for the Seminoles including all 13 games during the 2015 season. He was replaced at right guard two games into the 2016 season by true freshman Landon Dickerson.

When Dickerson went down with a torn ACL at the beginning of November, Bell moved back into the starting right guard position, but was benched for redshirt freshman Cole Minshew.

Minshew has been the starting right guard for most of the spring, but has been dealing with an ankle injury that has limited him some. Dickerson is expected to move into the starting left guard position, which was vacated by redshirt senior Kareem Are when he returns from injury in May or June.

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/sports/college/fsu/football/2017/04/07/fsu-ol-wilson-bell-transferring-auburn/100173632/

That is a lot of 1 & done kids coming in on OL next year.  This kid, one from JSU and possibly one from UCLA.  Do they have that little confidence in our development of the OL we have or are these all just quality backups?

I must have missed on this guy! First I have heard of this guy.

E, wondering how this effects the other couple of transfers we are looking at. One was OL as well, right. Also, how does the FSU guy compare to the other OL transfer. This kid played a good bit while at FSU, he must be pretty decent.

6 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

That is a lot of 1 & done kids coming in on OL next year.  This kid, one from JSU and possibly one from UCLA.  Do they have that little confidence in our development of the OL we have or are these all just quality backups?

Cal not UCLA & I don't think he's a take now. And yes there are concerns at tackle as has been extensively discussed in the football forum.

6 minutes ago, toddc said:

I must have missed on this guy! First I have heard of this guy.

Was at the scrimmage last week. Noted in the 2018 recruiting thread.

4 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

E, wondering how this effects the other couple of transfers we are looking at. One was OL as well, right. Also, how does the FSU guy compare to the other OL transfer. This kid played a good bit while at FSU, he must be pretty decent.

I don't know any of those answers to be honest. I don't think we take 3 1 and done OLs though. That's just a guess however.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Cal not UCLA & I don't think he's a take now. And yes there are concerns at tackle as has been extensively discussed in the football forum.

Yeah, I couldn't remember if it was UCLA\Cal\USC.  I just knew it was one of the California teams.

I am curious though.  If we are having issues at tackle then why have we accepted transfers for interior lineman.  Hasn't most of this kids time been at guard & JSU kid is a center.  Seems like we should have been going after a Tackle

Honestly, I don't get this. At all. Unless we're leaving both Smith and James at Tackle (which honestly seems like a bad idea), this guy is a backup for us. Odd move. Especially odd if it impacts our recruitment of Cochran, who is a full-time Tackle.

16 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

Honestly, I don't get this. At all. Unless we're leaving both Smith and James at Tackle (which honestly seems like a bad idea), this guy is a backup for us. Odd move. Especially odd if it impacts our recruitment of Cochran, who is a full-time Tackle.

We have plenty of room. Bring em on. 

If most of this guys time is at guard. Then I bet he has been brought in to compete for the LG spot which by the article about the OL, Herb Hand said they were still looking for someone to step up and take the LG spot. 

https://auburn.rivals.com/news/left-guard-a-question-mark-for-auburn

Although I am questioning the fact the went from a starter then got beat out by a true freshman, who then got injured, so he started again only to be beat out by a redshirt freshman. 

25 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

Honestly, I don't get this. At all. Unless we're leaving both Smith and James at Tackle (which honestly seems like a bad idea),

Or leaving Braden at OG, expecting Bell to win the other OG spot, leave James at 1 OT and expecting Ashley to win the other. I don't like it but that's the only way it makes sense to me...Unless they expect the GT transfer from Jax St to win C, move Golson back to RT, Braden @ RG, Bell @ LG, & James & Ashley battle it out for LT...Soo many different possible combinations.

"Unless they expect the GT transfer from Jax St to win C, move Golson back to RT, Braden @ RG, Bell @ LG, & James & Ashley battle it out for LT"

This seems like the most likely possibility, the point of more depth (should injuries strike) is probably the best aspect of this.

Not really that excited about a player who kept losing his starting spot to two freshman.  Makes me even more concerned that our coaches lack confidence in our O line.

14 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

haha man E that is a lot of shuffling!  When will this kid be on campus?  On campus for good not visiting.

No clue atm.

Maybe I'm being too optimistic but I see this as guys seeing how close we are to making a playoff run and wanting to be a part of it. If we have the room what does it hurt?

3 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

Maybe I'm being too optimistic but I see this as guys seeing how close we are to making a playoff run and wanting to be a part of it. If we have the room what does it hurt?

Agreed !!!!!

:jossun:

E, I've said it, and I'll say it again. Mike Horton is starting for this team. I don't believe anyone other Braden Smith could beat him out, and that includes Wilson Bell, Darius James, or anyone else we have on the roster at Guard. If Smith moves inside, the starting Guards will be Smith and Horton, and Bell will be a backup.

2 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

E, I've said it, and I'll say it again. Mike Horton is starting for this team. I don't believe anyone other Braden Smith could beat him out, and that includes Wilson Bell, Darius James, or anyone else we have on the roster at Guard. If Smith moves inside, the starting Guards will be Smith and Horton, and Bell will be a backup.

You also said Cam Akers was for sure going to Ole Miss. So no offense but I'm Missouri on your stone cold lock predictions right now.

Cam Akers didn't go to Ole Miss for one reason alone:  the NCAA investigation. I wasn't wrong about where he wanted to be. 

But I'll be glad to take any bet on Mike Horton. Barring injury, he's starting. He's the closest thing to Ben Grubbs we've had since Ben graduated. 

1 minute ago, mcgufcm said:

Cam Akers didn't go to Ole Miss for one reason alone:  the NCAA investigation. I wasn't wrong about where he wanted to be. 

But I'll be glad to take any bet on Mike Horton. Barring injury, he's starting. He's the closest thing to Ben Grubbs we've had since Ben graduated. 

WOW, i sure hope you're right about that. :hellyeah:

Kozan's experience level was the only thing that kept him from starting last fall as a redshirt freshman. There's a reason why LG has been identified as an issue while Horton has been working at RG during spring. Horton = solution.

By the way, I'm not knocking Wilson Bell. I'm all for building depth. Personally, I just don't see how he fits in the jigsaw puzzle. Our issues are on the outside. We have an overflow of talent inside. Golson, Smith, Horton, and James all work better inside. There are only three spots, and we added Dunn and Bell to that group. We still have the question of what to do on the edge. James is almost certainly playing outside; both out of necessity and out of a desire to get your best guys on the field together. Even with that, I just don't see it. Heck, I hope he proves me wrong. It's going to take playing All-SEC football to hold down an interior spot on this offensive line.

Archived