Softball vs. Ole Miss - game 1

Cooper lines one of the head of the 1st baseman and into right for a single.   HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Kasey Cooper.   Fagan coming up.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looped toward 1st, 2nd baseman comes over and it its hit glove and drops, then the 2nd baseman literally tried to give her glove to the 1st baseman and the glove doesn't appear to come completely off her hand but the umpire calls her out.   Myers out to argue to call and they are still discussing it.   After 5 complete, Auburn leads 3-1 as Myers loses that argument. 

Carlson gets a ground to McCrackin.  1 out.  next batter up, rips one toward first and Veach reaches out and makes a great catch 2 outs.

Carlson sets down ole miss in order.   Going to the bottom 6th, Auburn leads 3-1.   Veach, Shea, and Rivera coming up

Rivera strikes out looking to end the 6th.  After 6 complete, Auburn leads 3-1.  Let's close it out here Auburn.

Looped over the middle and Fagan comes in and makes the catch.    FINAL.  Auburn wins 3-1 and moves to 32-5 on the season.  Game 2 tomorrow at 3

Terrific crowd at the game tonight.  Expect tomorrow's crowd to be as big or bigger with A-Day going on.

Outstanding job by the lady Tigers. Tomorrow will be electric...the town is buzzing tonight like I haven't seen in some time. 

Thanks as always WT. Had to miss this one taking my son to the movies. Glad to hear things haven't changed with ole Blue. :) 

Two more hits tonight for Rivera, including the GWRBIs.  May have to move that woman up higher.  also, it looks like Cooper may be seeing the ball well again.  She barrelled three balls tonight, one of them foul.  She was the only one who hit the ball solidly off the Ole Miss pitcher.  The Rebs were a tougher out than I thought they'd be. 

I saw a bit of the game with Rebels vs Arkansas State where Lee went 12 innings with over 170 pitches in the 1 - 0 win.  The opposing pitcher also went the distance. Impressive by both.   Lee has emerged as their primary pitcher having pitched (as of 4/7) 108 innings with ERA 2.32 with 58 SO.  The next two pitchers, Bruce and Clayton have ERA's 2.40 and 2.80 and have together totaled 106 innings with 64 SO. 

The ladies found a way to win again . The offense just has not looked good all season . Hard to believe they have 30 wins. Carlson is looking terrific these days . 

We can't hit! By mid-season even a fan can get a pretty good idea of what a team can and can't do. Even if Cooper returns to previous form, we're pretty much a non-hitting team. Riveria can help, but one added hitter is not enough.

Losing Carasone and Howard has hurt more than I thought it would...problem for the team is that aside from poor hitting, AU is also near the bottom in fielding too. Season is more than 1/2 over and the coaches are still searching for a fixed "starting" line-up.

This has been a "smoke and mirrors" season so far and coaches should get a huge amount of credit for having the team anywhere near the top 10 of the national rankings. JMO

33 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Losing Carasone and Howard has hurt more than I thought it would...problem for the team is that aside from poor hitting, AU is also near the bottom in fielding too. Season is more than 1/2 over and the coaches are still searching for a fixed "starting" line-up.

This has been a "smoke and mirrors" season so far and coaches should get a huge amount of credit for having the team anywhere near the top 10 of the national rankings. JMO

Yes, the coaching staff has done an excellent job. 

We have lost some world class hitters the past few seasons. Branndi Melero and Morgan Estell in 2015 and Carosone, Howard, and Rhodes in 2016. It's hard for younger players to try and fill those shoes, but last year, Vic Draper, Madi Gipson, and Whit Jordan did enough. 

Cooper coming back to form and the emergence of Rivera could really help coming down the stretch. I just hope our 2 pitcher rotation continues to hold up. Carlson and Martin have done an excellent job of carrying this team all year as the coaches are trying to get the offense and defense where it needs to be. 

Last year, after our 5th batter, which was Rhodes, we didn't hit all year.  The bottom half of the order did nothing and we almost won the WCWS.  When you have one of the best pitchers in the country, you can mask a lot of ills.  Carlson throws around 67 to 68 mph consistently, then mixes in that killer changeup and she can't be hit. She's also starting to locate her riseball where she's getting swings and misses.  Last year, OU won it with one pitcher and if we are going to have a chance this year, we may do the same.  Cooper has been a big disappointment.  I think she's pressing too much and not playing her game.  Her struggles at the plate are starting to affect her defense.  The way she hit the ball last night is very encouraging.  I hope she's starting to come out of her funk.  The defense has been a disappointment this year as well, especially on the right side.  I think Rivera has established, that she's ready take over in RF and that will help tremendously.  McCrakin is a mystery.  Earlier in the year she made several mental mistakes trying to make impossible plays, but she's starting to come around in that area.  She really struggles with anything hit to her right side where she has to make a backhand catch.  This includes ground balls and fly balls like the one against UF.  This is coachable.  With her struggles at the plate, I don't understand why they don't give Crocker another chance.  For the most part, we are a young team and if we make to OKC, it will be gravy, but I think next year will be the year we take it.

Pretty much agree with the three comments above.  I pause here to tip my hat to JJ for the Myers hire.  Also I note that the sport is young and becoming more competitive.  We only started softball in the SEC about 20 years ago, and Tennessee made the first trip to OKC in 2003, I believe.  ADs have awakened to the fact that softball is more than just a Title IX annoyance.  Arkansas hired a new coach, and they are way better than last year.  Recruiting has to be more competitive also.  We may never see another team batting average like we had two years ago, coupled with the power we had as well. 

Archived