Softball vs. Ole Miss - game 1

Good win, but I would like for our offense to start taking over like last year. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Good win, but I would like for our offense to start taking over like last year. 

Wouldn't we all ?  .....but IMO what are seeing now is basically what we are going to see the rest of the season....maybe some pick-up by Cooper and Fagan...the more experienced players....but I am guessing it is hard to teach kids to hit during the middle of a season.

3 hours ago, saminbama said:

Last year, after our 5th batter, which was Rhodes, we didn't hit all year.  That's not really entirely true.  We clearly struggled at the bottom of the order but to say they didn't hit all year is a bit extreme.  It was Whitney Jordan that hit the homer in the game 2 of the championship series to get us started in that one.  We had hits we just didn't do it as consistently has we would have liked.  The bottom half of the order did nothing and we almost won the WCWS.  When you have one of the best pitchers in the country, you can mask a lot of ills.  Carlson throws around 67 to 68 mph consistently, then mixes in that killer changeup and she can't be hit. She's also starting to locate her riseball where she's getting swings and misses.  Last year, OU won it with one pitcher and if we are going to have a chance this year, we may do the same.  Cooper has been a big disappointment.  I think she's pressing too much and not playing her game.  Her struggles at the plate are starting to affect her defense.  Evidence doesn't really support this either.  She has 4 errors (according to the official stats at Auburntigers.com).  She would probably tell everybody there were more plays she should have made but I watch every game and I haven't seen her defense struggle much at all.   The way she hit the ball last night is very encouraging.  I hope she's starting to come out of her funk.  The defense has been a disappointment this year as well, especially on the right side.  The right side of the infield are both sophomores. They are also in their first year starting in the SEC.  Interesting that you single out the right side.  McCrackin and Veach have combined for 12 errors.  Fagan and Cooper 12 errors.  Fagan with 8 and McCrackin with 9.  I do agree its been a bit disappointing but our veteran lineup last year had 63 errors on the season.  We have passed the halfway point and have 32.  Disappointing, of couse, because we don't want any errors, but that's not realistic.    I think Rivera has established, that she's ready take over in RF and that will help tremendously.  McCrakin is a mystery.  Earlier in the year she made several mental mistakes trying to make impossible plays, but she's starting to come around in that area.  She really struggles with anything hit to her right side where she has to make a backhand catch.  This includes ground balls and fly balls like the one against UF.  This is coachable.  With her struggles at the plate, I don't understand why they don't give Crocker another chance. I've often wondered this myself.  Apparently the coaches see something in practice that tells them that McCrackin is the best option at this point.  She has been in the program a full year whereas Crocker is just coming in.  I also think the absence of Tannon Snow is playing a role here.  Pure speculation on my part, but I would imagine if Snow were here, that Cooper would be at 2nd and Snow would be at 3rd.  Nothing but my take. For the most part, we are a young team and if we make to OKC, it will be gravy, but I think next year will be the year we take it.   If we get there anything can happen.  Who would have thought we would struggle at the plate like we have and still be 32-5.  That's pretty damn strong.  Anything can happen.

Archived