Pettway may not play today

aubiefifty

Why Auburn leading rusher Kamryn Pettway may not play on A-Day

Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

Fans may not see much of running back Kamryn Pettway on A-Day -- that's if they even see Auburn's bruising running back at all.

Pettway already sat out Auburn's first scrimmage of the spring two weeks ago, and there's a chance the 6-foot, 237-pounder may do the same during the Tigers' spring game, which is set for a 1 p.m. kickoff Saturday at Jordan-Hare Stadium and will be broadcast on SEC Network.

"We're still kind of sorting through the running back rotation right now," Auburn offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey said Thursday. "I think definitely that's something we got to think through before we make a decision. We've kind of gone back and forth on it but really probably not ready to decide yet."

If Auburn decides to hold Pettway out, it won't be for the same reason that quarterback Sean White won't play. White is missing A-Day while still recovering from surgery to repair his broken right forearm, and coaches don't want any incidental contact to create further injury to the redshirt junior signal-caller.

Unlike White, there has been no indication this spring of Pettway dealing with an injury. Instead, his possible absence or lack of carries on A-Day will have more to do with the players behind him.

Auburn is set on Pettway and Kerryon Johnson as the team's top two running backs heading into next season, and rightfully so. Pettway 1,224 yards and seven touchdowns in 10 games last season before a quad injury sustained late in the Vanderbilt game hindered him down the stretch.

Pettway was on a tear prior to the injury, however. He rushed for 770 yards and six touchdowns over a four-game stretch that concluded with the Vanderbilt game. During that time, Pettway set career rushing marks in three straight games against Mississippi State (169 yards), Arkansas (192 yards) and Ole Miss (236 yards). After sustaining the injury against Vanderbilt, he missed the next two games and was limited in the Iron Bowl against Alabama.

Still, he finished the season as one of the nation's most productive running backs, finishing 11th in the country and first in the SEC with 122.4 yards per game.

'One of the big pieces of the puzzle' for Auburn: Identifying third running back

'One of the big pieces of the puzzle' for Auburn: Identifying third running back

Who will be third in line behind Kamryn Pettway and Kerryon Johnson is an open competition at Auburn this off-season.

The key for Auburn this spring has been to establish the depth behind Pettway and Johnson, who rushed for 895 yards and 11 touchdowns but also dealt with injuries during the season. Running backs coach Tim Horton has spoken about the need for identifying depth in the backfield and the ongoing battle for the No. 3 running back job between Malik Miller, Kam Martin and walk-on C.J. Tolbert.

It's why those three are expected to get the bulk of the carries on Saturday, much like they did during Auburn's earlier scrimmages this spring.

"We've got a lot of information with Pettway and K.J., and Coach Horton has kind of transitioned into making sure those three get good reps even with the first group," Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said. "It's a really good competition. Coach Horton, I'm sure he told you the other day, but we're looking for depth. At the end of the year last year, it got a little scary down there towards the end with just the number of healthy bodies.

"You can't have enough depth at the running back position, so that's been a focus this spring."

Shabby's got it right.....nothing for coaches or Pettway to gain.   

Time for everyone to remember that the A-Day game is just a practice scrimmage under mostly game-like conditions and is to give players who have not nailed down their positions a chance to show what they can do and start getting settled on some primary back-ups.   JMO.   

I know some folks will yowl.....but would not be a big disappointment to me to see Stidham QB a couple series of plays and then turn the game over to the younger guys.

1 hour ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

You should revise your title. 

my titles get changed if they are too long all the dad gum time so i am trying to comply by making them as brief as i can. what would you suggest?

8 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

my titles get changed if they are too long all the dad gum time so i am trying to comply by making them as brief as i can. what would you suggest?

"May not play today" or "A Day". You can be specific without being too wordy. 

7 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

Slap "today" on the end. On other forums I frequent this would likely be considered a teaser and summarily locked. 

thanx guys........

51 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Pettway came up hobbling after a tackle. Has ankle strain. No worries. Day to day but no more for ADay.

Think you mean KJ...

it would've been ugly seeing the white shirts deal with pettway. smart move imo. depth depth depth depth. maybe theyre righting the ship.

On 4/8/2017 at 2:02 PM, passthebiscuits said:

kJ came up hobbling after a tackle. Has ankle strain. No worries. Day to day but no more for ADay.

How many ankle injuries for him now in his AU career?  Maybe start some specific training focusing on that area for him? Special underarmor cleats? Ankle braces?

Well tackled around the legs and weight back....don't think any amount of tape helps that. I don't think this is any significant injury. But I agree, it does seem like he's got a running style that leads itself to turning the ankles. Some guys have tree trunks for ankles. 

Glad they rested pettway. I hope he focuses on getting faster this offseason . He is really close to being an elite back. Also he needs to keep the Heisman talk to himself and talk with his play. Love the confidence, but it's about under promising and over producing 

7 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Well tackled around the legs and weight back....don't think any amount of tape helps that. I don't think this is any significant injury. But I agree, it does seem like he's got a running style that leads itself to turning the ankles. Some guys have tree trunks for ankles. 

Doesn't run very compact and leaves his legs out there exposed. 

46 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Glad they rested pettway. I hope he focuses on getting faster this offseason . He is really close to being an elite back. Also he needs to keep the Heisman talk to himself and talk with his play. Love the confidence, but it's about under promising and over producing 

Recently 30:1 for Heisman

(Mr. Stidham at 50:1)

http://auburn.247sports.com/Bolt/2-Auburn-players-listed-in-early-Heisman-Trophy-odds-52233237

17 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

He does a little jump move before the tackle sometimes. It helps him break tackles but I think he is landing on the tackler awkwardly and turning his ankle. 

Archived