WarTiger

Softball vs. Ole Miss - game 2

Recommended Posts





Worst game of the season imo by far considering the level of team Ole Miss is. Even worse than game 2 against florida where we got spanked. Had some bad luck today when we only got 4 runs on I think it was 13 or 14 hits. Ole Miss played about as perfect as they can play and made some amazing plays in the field and timely hits. Martin has been shaky lately it seems like. Hopefully Carlson tomorrow will mow em down and we can get this series win. I thought this could be a easy sweep for us after last weekend. WAR EAGLE ANYWAYS!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have watched Ole Miss a few times this year, and that is by far the best they've played when I watched.  Don't mind losing the occasional game to a team we expect to beat.  We lost to Miss. St. last year.   Ole Miss played great softball today.  Three double plays, I think, or was it four? Super play by Cox in catching that foul ball, then doubling Greenwood (although I thought Carmyn was actually safe).  What is a bit disturbing is that Martin has given up 26 runs in her last 4 outings.  That's at least 15 too many

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

I have watched Ole Miss a few times this year, and that is by far the best they've played when I watched.  Don't mind losing the occasional game to a team we expect to beat.  We lost to Miss. St. last year.   Ole Miss played great softball today.  Three double plays, I think, or was it four? Super play by Cox in catching that foul ball, then doubling Greenwood (although I thought Carmyn was actually safe).  What is a bit disturbing is that Martin has given up 26 runs in her last 4 outings.  That's at least 15 too many

That has me most worried is the martin performances. I thought she would be our ace coming in to this year. The other stuff you can just chalk up to #becausesoftball and all the fluky things that can happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

I have watched Ole Miss a few times this year, and that is by far the best they've played when I watched.  Don't mind losing the occasional game to a team we expect to beat.  We lost to Miss. St. last year.   Ole Miss played great softball today.  Three double plays, I think, or was it four? Super play by Cox in catching that foul ball, then doubling Greenwood (although I thought Carmyn was actually safe).  What is a bit disturbing is that Martin has given up 26 runs in her last 4 outings.  That's at least 15 too many

Not by my count.  She gave up 7 today, gave up 4 to georgia last saturday, gave up 7 to florida and no runs to LIU Brooklyn.  Those were her last 4 starts.  Thats 18 not 26.  However, I do agree that is still too many runs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Carlson is a better matchup for us against them. Has more power, more variety, and is in better form right now. She doesn't completely rely on the groundball for out. She can pitch for strikeouts. She can overpower a lineup at times. The way OM is built offensively matched up really well against Martin, who is neither overpowering or particularly sharp right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WarTiger said:

Not by my count.  She gave up 7 today, gave up 4 to georgia last saturday, gave up 7 to florida and no runs to LIU Brooklyn.  Those were her last 4 starts.  Thats 18 not 26.  However, I do agree that is still too many runs.

Careless wording on my part.  I should have said "her last 4 SEC starts", which is what I was thinking.  Since you mentioned it though, I looked it up, and Martin only gave up 5 of the 8 LSU runs.  So it's 23 runs in 4 SEC starts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Careless wording on my part.  I should have said "her last 4 SEC starts", which is what I was thinking.  Since you mentioned it though, I looked it up, and Martin only gave up 5 of the 8 LSU runs.  So it's 23 runs in 4 SEC starts.

Whatever the numbers, seems she has not been the pitcher this season that many of us expected after really good freshman year.  Team has not given her very good defensive backing however and seems that when she gets in trouble with an error or something, she she just gets in more trouble rather than finding a way out.  

We can probably get by pretty well with one leading pitcher but sure was nice last season to have the additional depth and flexibility with Harper, Walters and Davis. 

Edited by AU64

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now