2017 A-Day attendance

aubiefifty

Where Auburn's 2017 A-Day attendance ranks in program history

Wesley Sinor | wsinor@al.com

Auburn's A-Day spring football scrimmage drew 46,331 fans to Jordan-Hare Stadium Saturday.

The number is just 608 higher than the 2016 scrimmage, which drew 45,723 fans -- the lowest of Gus Malzahn's tenure on the Plains.

In Malzahn's debut season, Auburn drew a school-record 83,401 fans to the 2013 A-Day game. Check out where the 2017 attendance number ranks below.

Top 10 Auburn A-Day crowds

1. 83,401 (2013)

2. 70,645 (2014)

3. 63,217 (2010)

4. 62,143 (2015)

5. 53,290 (2011)

6. 46,331 (2017)

7. 45,723 (2016)

8. 45,381 (2009)

9. 43,427 (2012)

10. 38,016 (2003)

AL.com will update this post.

Beautiful day...having the game on tv keeps some folks at home. Not seeing a second half worth a dang keeps some folks at home. Being on a beautiful April day on a Saturday keeps some folks doing other things. And finally, I think lots of auburn fans are in a believe it when they see it mentality with Gus, and it might take some time to build the faithful back up.

37 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

And finally, I think lots of auburn fans are in a believe it when they see it mentality with Gus, and it might take some time to build the faithful back up.

This. Gus has lost a lot of folks unfortunately. 

Folks have come to realize that this not a real football game and many are not going to make the drive and fight traffic for this kind of exhibition. .stopping plays to allow FGs and punts with no defense.

I can't see how the idea of Gus losing fans has anything to do with it.   JMO but if it were a real game with QBs going live today, I bet there would be another 25-30,000 people there. Nobody mentioned numbers but crowds at other games I checked in on were pretty modest as far as I could see.

14 hours ago, AU64 said:

Folks have come to realize that this not a real football game and many are not going to make the drive and fight traffic for this kind of exhibition. .stopping plays to allow FGs and punts with no defense.

I can't see how the idea of Gus losing fans has anything to do with it.   JMO but if it were a real game with QBs going live today, I bet there would be another 25-30,000 people there. Nobody mentioned numbers but crowds at other games I checked in on were pretty modest as far as I could see.

Except for Bammer.  They will fling the gates of hell open (without charge) and the mullets will pour in from the trailer parks.  Then they will have 70k and claim it was 90.  Same old stuff.  

44 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

Except for Bammer.  They will fling the gates of hell open (without charge) and the mullets will pour in from the trailer parks.  Then they will have 70k and claim it was 90.  Same old stuff.  

And, still, no one but the Updykes will give a damn.

When we eventually go to a true playoff and you have to win your way into said playoff instead of it mattering what the name on the front of the jersey says... then you will see real "scrimmage" games in the spring.  Probably conference against conference with a mutual handshake between the teams that it's about development.  

34 minutes ago, corchjay said:

When we eventually go to a true playoff and you have to win your way into said playoff instead of it mattering what the name on the front of the jersey says... then you will see real "scrimmage" games in the spring.  Probably conference against conference with a mutual handshake between the teams that it's about development.  

You are probably right but it will never be just a "scrimmage" no matter what people say.  Spring will make a difference because teams will not have all their players and will still want be careful about losing a key player like KP for example but the ticket prices will go from $5 to $75 or so and no team will feel that it can just mail it in because a game is classified as a scrimmage though maybe the outcome will be forgotten by August. . 

I do wonder if teams play serious games in March or April, when do injured players have surgery and re-hab?   .  And when will we see the young guys trying to make the team. The gap between early January and August gives time for guys like SW or KP and others to deal with major injuries.

But you are right....the opportunity to earn a couple million will not be ignored for much longer.

Was at least a bit gratified to see (TV) some fans in the upper decks. On some other thread, discussing/advising on the A-Day experience, it was not clear that they would be opened.

I was really hoping we could get a least 60K in the stadium yesterday. All I can say is if you had a chance to be there and chose not to, you missed seeing something truly special.

This is the best Auburn has looked in an A-Day game in a very long time. I have NEVER seen an A-Day where Auburn aired it out as much with extremely positive results. Stidham and Malik Willis were on fire, as were the receivers. The starting defense was in total SHUTDOWN mode.

If we perform at 80% where we did yesterday in real games. this upcoming season is going to be an very exciting one.

21 minutes ago, bikeriderga said:

I was really hoping we could get a least 60K in the stadium yesterday. All I can say is if you had a chance to be there and chose not to, you missed seeing something truly special.

This is the best Auburn has looked in an A-Day game in a very long time. I have NEVER seen an A-Day where Auburn aired it out as much with extremely positive results. Stidham and Malik Willis were on fire, as were the receivers. The starting defense was in total SHUTDOWN mode.

If we perform at 80% where we did yesterday in real games. this upcoming season is going to be an very exciting one.

Agree with all that.  I'd rather see 1's vs. 1's and 2's vs. 2's, but i know that's a pipe dream.

1 hour ago, bikeriderga said:

We certainly looked better in the fan scrimmage yesterday than we did in 2015 and 2016.  As long as we win at least 10 regular season games which includes a win against uga, then we will have a good season.

wde

I remember in the Dye era that getting 30 K would be considered a big draw. Seems to me that 20-25K was more the norm. :gofig: 

FSU had 28,000 and UF had a little over 40,000 I sure Clemson was big due to winning NC. Anything between 40 and 60,000 I would consider ok

On 4/8/2017 at 9:17 PM, AU64 said:

Folks have come to realize that this not a real football game and many are not going to make the drive and fight traffic for this kind of exhibition.

Hey now I drove in from Atlanta and fought the I-85 traffic going home as the collapsed portion was right in my way.  Took me an extra 1.5 hours to get home but well worth it!

4 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Hey now I drove in from Atlanta and fought the I-85 traffic going home as the collapsed portion was right in my way.  Took me an extra 1.5 hours to get home but well worth it!

Understand .....and it looked like a fun day for those who went.  I'm thinking that Stidham's coming out was the reason the attendance was as good as it was.  Atlanta is pretty close to AU though.  When we are headed down to AU, the Atlanta airport exits are the point where we figure we are "almost there".   But that I-85 things looks like a big problem for a while....can't imagine what the morning commute is like. I need to keep up with progress when looking at my next trip south.

My family and I love A-Day, and have gone for the past 7 years straight. With a 7 year old and a 4 year old, I find it a great time to take the family to Auburn for a low-stress "game" environment, full of color, but not too crowded or too intense. No cussing. I don't mind missing part of the game if my 4 year old wants to go for a walk.

And I love going to show support for the coaches and the team.

The game itself doesn't show us much, but there's always a way to find a reason for optimism if you try. This year, it's the QBs and WRs. Last year, Kamryn Pettway made an impression. 

Auburn usually has a couple other things going on that weekend, so it's also a good time to catch a baseball game or softball game... They've had track and field events before.

I've been attending A-Day regularly since the "final rolling" of Toomer's (which for my first A-Day was beyond believable!) and this year's crowd was pretty nice to see. Not sure why some fans chose to sit in the upper decks but both east/west lower decks were filled in nicely and the south end zone was packed in as people tried to escape the sun.

I went hoping to see Stidham throw the ball around and I was not let down a bit. The only negative I took away from the entire day was Kerryon suffering yet another ankle injury. Otherwise, it was smiles all around from the coaches, to the players, to the fans! Looking forward to the fall!

On 4/10/2017 at 8:02 AM, abw0004 said:

I live in Atlanta as well. Atlanta traffic is always a hit and miss proposition. :)

Some people under-appreciate A-Day. Sure it is just a scrimmage, but it is also a day for the players as well as the fans. It is a work day for the team as well as a fun day.  It allows a lot of players who work extremely hard but never get into the limelight, to play in front of the crowd. It allows us fans a time to show our support for our team and to relax with the players a little after the scrimmage is over.

It is a time for the fans to interact and do a little arm chair QBing with other fans. I's a time when former Auburn greats are recognized and honored in front of the fans and alumni. There are fun things that happen as well. I really liked the Mackerel Jordan skit. 

A-Day is an experience that you cannot experience at the games. There is no opposition, just other Dye hard Auburn fans who love their Tigers. Not nearly as crowded and you can get those 40-50 yard line seats for a pittance.

It is good for the Auburn businesses, good for the players, good for the fans, and a tale tell sign of things to come. It means a lot to the recruits who are there, some who may be getting their first experience in JHS, being around the players and the fans. 

I view A-Day as support day for the hard work these college men give to the flying War Eagles.  It will never be as exciting as game day, but that is not what is meant for.  It is not an "us" against "them" day, it is all about us.

WAR EAGLE everyone!

43 minutes ago, bikeriderga said:

I live in Atlanta as well. Atlanta traffic is always a hit and miss proposition. :)

Some people under-appreciate A-Day. Sure it is just a scrimmage, but it is also a day for the players as well as the fans. It is a work day for the team as well as a fun day.  It allows a lot of players who work extremely hard but never get into the limelight, to play in front of the crowd. It allows us fans a time to show our support for our team and to relax with the players a little after the scrimmage is over.

It is a time for the fans to interact and do a little arm chair QBing with other fans. I's a time when former Auburn greats are recognized and honored in front of the fans and alumni. There are fun things that happen as well. I really liked the Mackerel Jordan skit. 

A-Day is an experience that you cannot experience at the games. There is no opposition, just other Dye hard Auburn fans who love their Tigers. Not nearly as crowded and you can get those 40-50 yard line seats for a pittance.

It is good for the Auburn businesses, good for the players, good for the fans, and a tale tell sign of things to come. It means a lot to the recruits who are there, some who may be getting their first experience in JHS, being around the players and the fans. 

I view A-Day as support day for the hard work these college men give to the flying War Eagles.  It will never be as exciting as game day, but that is not what is meant for.  It is not an "us" against "them" day, it is all about us.

WAR EAGLE everyone!

Well said biker:clap:

We really enjoyed it this year. Great time and great weather.

Those numbers are interesting. I think it shows how much the AU fan base really was excited about the change at head coach in 2013. Then we went to the MNC game and the numbers were high again in 2014. Since then the excitement has faded a little. 

I know this may not have a lot to do with it but it did not help that the Masters was the same weekend. 

Archived