A-Day post game thread (merged threads)

aubiefifty

17 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Have we made a conditional scholarship offer to that kid yet?  We're missing out on some big publicity if not.

Unfortunately, he's already committed to play for Lane Kiffin, wherever he is coaching then.  We did get him to commit to us as a contingency in case Lane is not coaching then.  Personally, I like our chances. 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

The Bad   : KJ just can't stay healthy. 

:RB depth. 

All in all a real good scrim. Couldn't tell anything about the OL. The O was just too basic. Really excited that NCM showed out. Was reallymy highlight. Knew Stidham was good but the WR's needed to step up. I think they did. Especially NCM. And I have a man crush on Wills. Kid is going to be damn good. 

Curious why you think RB depth is a concern.  Pettway, Johnson, Martin, Miller...then Barrett and Williams (hopefully).  6 guys should be plenty.

Cubelic seemed to like our starting OL play...said that depth is a big concern.

53 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

The Good: Stidham. All I need to say here.

: Willis. Same as above. 

: NCM showing out. What we needed. Still some work to be done at the WR position but that was a big step forward. 

: Nick Coe. Was a force. 

: The D in general. Was as basic as you can play but looked to be real good. 

The Bad   : KJ just can't stay healthy. 

:RB depth. 

All in all a real good scrim. Couldn't tell anything about the OL. The O was just too basic. Really excited that NCM showed out. Was reallymy highlight. Knew Stidham was good but the WR's needed to step up. I think they did. Especially NCM. And I have a man crush on Wills. Kid is going to be damn good. 

I think Stidham will make those around him a little better. The WR's looked much improved to me some of that is them some of that is the catchable balls he throws. Passing will open up the run so our RB's will be better. A QB that makes quick decisions will mean the O'line will not have to stay on their blocks as long. Same way with the Def. we have a very good D'line that will help the LB's and DB's. I am also a little worried about the RB's. We have great talent back there but they just can't stay on the field. My only other concern is depth at DB. Same thing we have a lot of talent but if one or two get hurt we are in trouble.

4 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Curious why you think RB depth is a concern.  Pettway, Johnson, Martin, Miller...then Barrett and Williams (hopefully).  6 guys should be plenty.

Cubelic seemed to like our starting OL play...said that depth is a big concern.

KJ has a glass ankle and Miller is coming off knee surgery. Martin didn't look good. And Barrett hasn't stepped on campus. Brain dead on Williams? 

Edit: A Williams. Hasn't stepped on campus either. 

Just now, bg5 said:

I think Stidham will make those around him a little better. The WR's looked much improved to me some of that is them some of that is the catchable balls he throws. Passing will open up the run so our RB's will be better. A QB that makes quick decisions will mean the O'line will not have to stay on their blocks as long. Same way with the Def. we have a very good D'line that will help the LB's and DB's. I am also a little worried about the RB's. We have great talent back there but they just can't stay on the field. My only other concern is depth at DB. Same thing we have a lot of talent but if one or two get hurt we are in trouble.

Agree. 

1 hour ago, AUinTLoosa said:

And (SIAP, did I say that right?) posted at youtube as well

Sam Sherrod though? That kid can hit. Holy crap.

22 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

KJ has a glass ankle and Miller is coming off knee surgery. Martin didn't look good. And Barrett hasn't stepped on campus. Brain dead on Williams? 

Also curious as to why Martin didn't look good.  He had no problem being productive last year.

On 4/8/2017 at 5:10 PM, tbone1430 said:

And how about our own Wes Welker aka Will Hastings? I know he had that fumble but he has sure hands and runs crisp routes. 

As long as he learns to find the sidelines like OMac...i'm cool with Hastings. I think our WRs will be fine. I'm not worried about them. Slayton, NCM, Stove, R Davis,  and hopefully K Davis. McClain had a couple good catches as well. I just think those guys need more opportunities just like how NCM showed on Saturday. 

On 4/9/2017 at 6:00 AM, bigbird said:

To a point, yes.  What really helped Trevor was the inability to secure tackles by our DL. 

Yes, he was breaking and slipping outta tackles on the regular. A couple of timely sacks would've affected the game greatly.

19 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Rewatched the game. A few thoughts.

A. Kerryon was having a good game before the injuries. 

B. Some scrambles by Stidham was nice when there wasn't much down the field. Hope he gets down in real games, we'll need him all year. Oline needs a good year.

C. Love the corner route from around the 25 that was overshot. We've not had those routes in years. Nice way to score instead of running run after run in the redzone.

D. Wide receivers showed potential. Nice to see that. All around. It's going to be a big year for them.

E. Willis  showed some things but some youth. Great athlete. 

F. Defense should have had a pick on Willis.

G. Barrett just isn't ready. Might be more of the Cam offense with him if ever. Power run.

H.Running game needs Pettway. Need an injury free year from those guys. Glad to have Barrett coming in.

I. Love the balance! Can't wait for fall.

J. James. Paul James flashed alot. 

K. Two passes to tight ends. Hope there's more of that.

Four passes to TEs, both got two each. Harris caught two and Sal caught a slant. The second to Sal in the end zone should've been picked.

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

Also curious as to why Martin didn't look good.  He had no problem being productive last year.

I like Martin. He's going to be needed b/c KJ's ankles are still a concern. In my observation Martin needs to work more on his pass protection and catching the football. I think he does well for his size, running between the tackles. 

I saw a Green Bay Packers style of attack on offense at a very basic level.  Stidham has the ability to look off the safety and find his WR and hit him in stride do to a great arm and more importantly he has learned proper footwork and mechanics to make it happen.  I will not be surprised if he we see some back shoulder outs this year as he has the next few months to work on timing and familiarity with his WR's.  Moving guys out of the box and having to defend the whole field is gonna do wonders for game management and our aggressive style of defense with Steele, a Dom Capers tree coach, has me excited for this season.  Only concern is depth in the secondary and O-line along with developing rbs that are gonna fit the system.

8 hours ago, lutzcammed said:

Very simply 

Stidham: yesssss

Anddd.... 

We have a real coordinator with real play calling ability.   Almost makes me break out in whelps When I think of our play calling Saturday as compared to the last few years

And that was just vanilla...Wait til we bring out the rocky road!!!

10 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Martin sucked it up . Put McLain at tail back. He is a big kid 

Archived