Auburn is a contender

aubiefifty

Take notice, Alabama: With Jarrett Stidham at QB Auburn is a contender

Joseph Goodman | jgoodman@al.com

The No.1 recruit in the state of Alabama attended Auburn's spring game to see if the Tigers could throw the ball.

So did everyone else, and it didn't take long to have an answer.

One of the biggest questions in college football this spring was whether or not Auburn's transfer quarterback, Jarrett Stidham, could revive the Tigers' offense, and provide a worthy balance to one of the best defenses in the country. That question was answered on Stidham's first drive with his new team.

The new kid from Texas can throw it, and Auburn looks like a complete football team for the first time since 2013. It's only spring, but Alabama, no doubt, is already taking notice. Auburn is back, and with an offense perhaps better than the one in Tuscaloosa.

Stidham, who played for Baylor before that program's scandalous implosion, threw for 267 yards in the first half, and for that Auburn coach Gus Malzahn simply said his new passer "managed the offense well." Malzahn is prone to gross understatements, but that one was particularly funny. Behind his poker face, Auburn's coach was no doubt beaming like a child on Christmas morning.

Stidham didn't face a pass rush, of course, but it also didn't take the expertise of a pro scout to recognize the redshirt sophomore's talent. Malzahn made sure of that, calling one deep bomb after another. It felt like Stidham had more long passes before halftime than Auburn had all of last season.

And now, by design, Malzahn and Auburn will be selling the offense's rebirth this offseason to elite prospects around the state and Southeast. Springtime in the SEC is all about appearances, and over the years spring scrimmages have turned into important recruiting tools for teams.

Back in 1981, Auburn coach Pat Dye used to let his seniors select the teams for the spring game. Winners would eat steaks, and losers would eat hot dogs. Now they only feed the hot dogs to reporters in the press box, and Dye helps entertain recruits on the sideline of a field named in his honor.

On days like Saturday, the legendary coach said the school and the football team sell themselves.

"If they don't get a fuzzy feeling today, then you probably don't have much of a chance," Dye said.

The weather was perfect, and an announced crowd of over 45,000 fans celebrated the heavenly day as much as the football team. Seated among the crowd was five-star prospect Justyn Ross of Central Phenix City, the top recruit in the state, and the No.4-rated receiver in the country. Ross is attending Alabama's spring game on April 22.

Like most elite prospects from the state, his recruitment likely will come down to Auburn or Alabama.

"I'm hoping both teams can throw the ball more because they didn't do a lot last season," Ross said. "I'm just looking for who can put the ball in the air because both teams have new offensive coordinators, so I'm just looking at what the coordinators can do."

Ross no doubt liked what he saw from new Auburn offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey, who replaced Malzahn's protege, Rhett Lashlee, after last season. Not only did Stidham play well, but, freshman backup quarterback Malik Willis, an early enrollee, threw for 157 yards.

With a competent quarterback running the offense, Auburn would have been a contender for the SEC West next fall. With Stidham, Auburn now thinks it has a chance to win the SEC, and make the College Football Playoff. The coach, of course, would never say that, but Auburn kicker Daniel Carlson, in a quiet moment after the spring scrimmage, said his team turned into a title contender over the spring.

Carlson could be training for the NFL draft this spring. Instead, he's back in Auburn and looking forward to his senior season. You don't turn down NFL money and return to college to play for a team that doesn't have a chance at a championship.

"Everything we got going for us this spring is why I came back," Carlson said. "With that much money on the line, you're kind of deciding your future, and Lord willing I'm going to have a good year and go out with a bang. You could see it from today. I think both our first teams look pretty good."

Joseph Goodman is a columnist for Alabama Media Group. He's on Twitter @JoeGoodmanJr.

• WarTiger changed the title to Auburn is a contender

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

It felt like Stidham had more long passes before halftime than Auburn had all of last season.

That about summed up A-Day for me.

8 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Time we started embracing the hype and living up to it.

The Auburn fan base embraced the hype in 2015, Auburn just didn't live up to it.  It's the latter part that the fan base has no control over.  I'll wait for the season to start before I start believing the hype.

Hype and expectations should be balanced with hope and realistic possibilities.  When it's not you get depressed fanatics. I'm hopeful as always. I actually am more hopeful than I have been since pre '14. It looks possible realistically possible. 

9 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Time we started embracing the hype and living up to it.

It gets so old when people hate the hype. 

2 minutes ago, logan adams said:

It gets so old when people hate the hype. 

I'm ok with it in small doses. We should be trained not to od on hype by now. I'm close to buying in this time. 

One....game....at....a....time.

;)

Do people know what hype means? Saying you are going to play in the NC game and you have a for sure Heisman QB is hype.  Saying you are a contender based on your personnel is not hype. That is a fact. You know who else are contenders? FSU, UGA, USC, LSU, Arguably Penn State, Clemson, and OU. 

There are a few contenders based on what they bring to the table. There are certain schools who has more than enough at their disposal to be considered in this tier. The problem is we have been underperforming the last couple or so years and now fans are brainwashed to fearing these expectations. I am not going to sit here and say we are going to make the playoffs, but I do expect us to be in contention for the SEC west title crown come November and not an afterthought.

23 minutes ago, DAG said:

Do people know what hype means? Saying you are going to play in the NC game and you have a for sure Heisman QB is hype.  Saying you are a contender based on your personnel is not hype. That is a fact. You know who else are contenders? FSU, UGA, USC, LSU, Arguably Penn State, Clemson, and OU. 

There are a few contenders based on what they bring to the table. There are certain schools who has more than enough at their disposal to be considered in this tier. The problem is we have been underperforming the last couple or so years and now fans are brainwashed to fearing these expectations. I am not going to sit here and say we are going to make the playoffs, but I do expect us to be in contention for the SEC west title crown come November and not an afterthought.

I agree. We were a contender last season. 

The only part of our team that has been hyped has been Stidham, and at this point, I think more and more people are coming around to the idea that it isn't just hype. 

This year, If we're undefeated after September, that's when I will start buying in.

Right now it just feels like 2003, 2005, 2008, 2014 all over again. Chicken, egg. Cart, horse. Etc.

We looked good in the A-Day game. We have a lot of talented experienced players coming back. Stidham has a strong, powerful, accurate arm and we threw the types of passes many have been looking for the last few years.  Every passing player had a short option in case O-line was breaking down with mixture of double move long plays. What impressed me the most is the way Stidham went through his progressions he threw a lot of short passes that would negate a pass rush and also keep linebackers at home. Overall I was impressed with the way the whole team played.

It was still an A-day game it made me happy and hopeful but I still need to see this team do well against a competitive team. Clemson will be a good yardstick. They are a good team with some question marks. If we can beat them we have the chance to be very good next year. I am hopeful after this game but trying to stay realistic and grounded.

19 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

This year, If we're undefeated after September, that's when I will start buying in.

Right now it just feels like 2003, 2005, 2008, 2014 all over again. Chicken, egg. Cart, horse. Etc.

2005 and 2014 team contended all the way to November. The 2005 team just lost to a better LSU team in OT. '14 team was still in playoff contention in November, but the Aggy defeat destroyed our guys. 2003 FAILED miserably. 2008? C'mon we completely switched from the GULF Coast offense to the Air raid. Most people should've seen what a cluster freak things were starting to become. Bottomline, you have a right to your opinion, but this time has been contending for far some time. This expectation is fair and should be second nature by now.

Auburn is a contender every year just like most teams that regularly finish in the top 15 in recruiting each year.  Health, breaks, schedule, and oddly enough weather plays into things you can't scheme around  or have control over.

Just like last year.  Sean, Bubba, and KJ all stay healthy and we are contenders until the end.  

Yes we should have a chance to win every game we play if we are healthy. That is the biggest key of all. Last year injuries decimated this team in November. 

We stay healthy, we can win a lot of games. 

14 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Can we lock this thread and delete it? 

Seems like a bad omen. Auburn style. I hate these threads.

Nice homer rah rah stuff, but seriously: 

"It's only spring, but Alabama, no doubt, is already taking notice."  :-\ 

I kind of doubt that.

And while he mentioned there was no pass rush, he failed to mention Stidam was wearing a non-contact jersey.  This was the QB equivalent of batting practice.

14 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Can we lock this thread and delete it? 

Seems like a bad omen. Auburn style. I hate these threads.

Nobody is forcing you to read it or comment on it.  Ill just never understand the view of some fans we have.  Bad omen?  Really.  Absolurely nothing said here has any impact on anything that happens on the field.    I wish for once Auburn fans would accept the hype and support the program rather than be all doom and gloom with this ridiculous bad omen crap. I hate fans with the defeatist attitude. 

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 8:17 AM, aubiefifty said:

With a competent quarterback running the offense, Auburn would have been a contender for the SEC West next fall.

Huh?

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

Auburn is a contender every year just like most teams that regularly finish in the top 15 in recruiting each year.  Health, breaks, schedule, and oddly enough weather plays into things you can't scheme around  or have control over.

Just like last year.  Sean, Bubba, and KJ all stay healthy and we are contenders until the end.  

I can think of very few years I might even suspect as exceptions. While I might question predictions of outcomes, I always expect Auburn to contend.

to strive or vie in contest or rivalry or against difficulties” [sic]

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/contend

Archived