Perspective

corchjay

First of all I want to acknowledge that the Blue and White teams weren't even remotely equal with talent.  The Blue team had all the 1's and a lot of the 2's.  The white had a few 2 and most 3's and walkons.  So the game went about as expected in my opinion.  It was one sided and the young DBs weren't able to handle our WRs and/or win the battle at the line of scrimmage.  

Other things of note...

Stidham just brings a deep ball that Sean just doesn't have.  I would be surprised with Sean's health if he is QB1.  

Kerryon if he can stay healthy is very dangerous in this offense.  Miller looks good add Devan Barrett (or one of he other incoming freshman) and you have very solid mix of different skilled running backs.  Kam Martin need to work on catching he ball.  He probably catches everything in practice. 

Offensive line is the biggest concern for me on that side of the ball.  There is a huge drop off from the top 7.  You need 10 just in case of injury and I understand the 2 grad transfers now.  Center is a huge concern going forward if Golson were to go down and in the upcoming years.

Schematically the drag and flood routes are what this offense has been missing.  The RPO's will increase in real games as well.  

DL is definitely the strength of the team.  I was impressed with the younger Bucks and probably my favorite player on the team in Marlon Davidson continues to just get better.  He still has that relentless hustle that you just can't teach.  For the Byron Cowart crowd he does look more comfortable but isn't going to beat the top 3-4 DTs right now but can produce in the "Rabbits" scheme.

LB play was very vanilla.  They were hustling but it would be nice to have dynamic LB play instead of just "steady" play.  

Coach Greg Brown has his hands full with the 2's and 3's in the defensive backfield.  We also need a huge talent upgrade back there in depth.  It would definitely be nice to add some high 4 star talent to that group.  3 at safety and 2 corners at a minimum this recruiting cycle and they all need to meet the size and skill requirement to be starters by year 2 in the system cant take any tweeners or projects.  It's the only spot we appear to be really short on depth.  

In the fall I hope Gus, Chip, and Kevin all want to keep that physical mentality and really "get after it" the first couple of weeks in fall camp.  That physical edge and talent I can easily see this team with 10 wins.  If the schedule, weather, breaks, and health all go in our favor a championship run is a possibility.  

War Eagle my friends.  

PS  @lionheartkc hope all finds you well brother.  Please keep us posted as you can.  

I am guessing the grad transfer center from JSU is the back up plan at center and the transfer of the guard from FSU is a clear message from the coaches on where the O-line performances stand at this point and time.  

5 hours ago, corchjay said:

Coach Greg Brown has his hands full with the 2's and 3's in the defensive backfield.  We also need a huge talent upgrade back there in depth.  It would definitely be nice to add some high 4 star talent to that group.  3 at safety and 2 corners at a minimum this recruiting cycle and they all need to meet the size and skill requirement to be starters by year 2 in the system cant take any tweeners or projects.  It's the only spot we appear to be really short on depth.  

Worth noting that I thought John Broussard seems like he's stepped up his game and is becoming better acquainted with the speed and physicality of D1 college ball, so hopefully he'll be an up and comer that can provide quality depth on the back end, but you're right, we need a few more abled bodies.

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

I am guessing the grad transfer center from JSU is the back up plan at center and the transfer of the guard from FSU is a clear message from the coaches on where the O-line performances stand at this point and time.  

I wouldn't be too terribly surprised to see Herb move Gohlson to another starting spot on the line and pencil in Casey Dunn as the starter at center.

14 hours ago, corchjay said:

First of all I want to acknowledge that the Blue and White teams weren't even remotely equal with talent.  The Blue team had all the 1's and a lot of the 2's.  The white had a few 2 and most 3's and walkons.  So the game went about as expected in my opinion.  It was one sided and the young DBs weren't able to handle our WRs and/or win the battle at the line of scrimmage.  

Other things of note...

Stidham just brings a deep ball that Sean just doesn't have.  I would be surprised with Sean's health if he is QB1.  

Kerryon if he can stay healthy is very dangerous in this offense.  Miller looks good add Devan Barrett (or one of he other incoming freshman) and you have very solid mix of different skilled running backs.  Kam Martin need to work on catching he ball.  He probably catches everything in practice. 

Offensive line is the biggest concern for me on that side of the ball.  There is a huge drop off from the top 7.  You need 10 just in case of injury and I understand the 2 grad transfers now.  Center is a huge concern going forward if Golson were to go down and in the upcoming years.

Schematically the drag and flood routes are what this offense has been missing.  The RPO's will increase in real games as well.  

DL is definitely the strength of the team.  I was impressed with the younger Bucks and probably my favorite player on the team in Marlon Davidson continues to just get better.  He still has that relentless hustle that you just can't teach.  For the Byron Cowart crowd he does look more comfortable but isn't going to beat the top 3-4 DTs right now but can produce in the "Rabbits" scheme.

LB play was very vanilla.  They were hustling but it would be nice to have dynamic LB play instead of just "steady" play.  

In the fall I hope Gus, Chip, and Kevin all want to keep that physical mentality and really "get after it" the first couple of weeks in fall camp.  That physical edge and talent I can easily see this team with 10 wins.  If the schedule, weather, breaks, and health all go in our favor a championship run is a possibility.  

War Eagle my friends.  

PS  @lionheartkc hope all finds you well brother.  Please keep us posted as you can.  

So far so good. My body handled the first round of chemo like a champ, and the results were positive.  Round 2 should start the 18th.

I'm around, reading all the great things people are sharing... I'm just not posting much as I'm trying to just be very chill through this process. I'm looking forward to the day, God willing, when I can tell you all I'm in remission.

Thanks for checking in and for the usual, very knowledgeable post.

That's great news @lionheartkc prayers continued for your healing.  

And the other post about Broussard I have only watched the game once and was paying more attention to the OL/DL because at the end of the day that's where games are won.  @bigbird probably paid more attention to DB play and can comment.  I know Ruffin got abused early but only because I noticed him on the first big pass play and missing the tackle for a loss when KJ scored.

15 hours ago, corchjay said:

That's great news @lionheartkc prayers continued for your healing.  

And the other post about Broussard I have only watched the game once and was paying more attention to the OL/DL because at the end of the day that's where games are won.  @bigbird probably paid more attention to DB play and can comment.  I know Ruffin got abused early but only because I noticed him on the first big pass play and missing the tackle for a loss when KJ scored.

JMO but I find it hard to know who to blame on the 'defensive breakdowns" since Stidham had all day to pick out his receivers and could go through the entire progression once and start again if he wanted to.   In the real world, seems that DBs can only maintain coverage for so long before the WRs are going to shake them ...or the secondary receivers will come wide open on the drag routes, etc.   I liked the look of the offensive scheme for JS or SW for that matter if he were running the same offense....but just now sure what we really have. 

Archived