Softball vs. Ole Miss - game 3

Another inning that Carlson sets them down in order.   Crocker, Draper and Wallace coming up.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ole miss gets a triple but Carlson leaves her stranded and Auburn leads 3-1 going to the bottom 6th.   Cooper, Fagan and Rivera coming up.

Cooper walks to lead off the 6th.  Haley Fagan up.  Fornis in to pinch run for Cooper

Fagan ground ball to short, throw to 2nd for 1, throw to 1st gets by her and Fagan turns to try for 2nd and decides to return to 1st, throw back to 1st not in time as Fagan dives back to the bag.   1 out.  Rivera up.

Rivera loops one to left but its caught in foul territory.  2 outs.   Kendall Veach up. 

fly ball to left and its a final.  AUBURN WINS 3-1 and takes the series.   WAR EAGLE!!!

4 hours ago, TigerTennis80 said:

Did anyone watching on TV see the glimpse of the dugout... is Corey there? I'm pretty sure I saw him next to Clint.

Corey was not there on Sunday.

5 hours ago, TigerTennis80 said:

Did anyone watching on TV see the glimpse of the dugout... is Corey there? I'm pretty sure I saw him next to Clint.

I thought I saw the same thing.  He had some stubble.  It went by quickly, but I thought it was a live shot. 

This team is unstoppable if they can somehow get the bats going a little more.

Also great to see that Coop has her batting eye back.  It was basically Cooper and Wallace yesterday.  Rivera is a plus for the offense (and defense as well).  I think Crocker and Greenwood have a little more upside at bat than their competitors at their respective positions.  They just need more reps.  We have a chance to actually increase our team BA down the stretch.  

16 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

I thought I saw the same thing.  He had some stubble.  It went by quickly, but I thought it was a live shot. 

Since 1 of our fellow Aubies has said definitively that Corey wasn't there Sunday, & since no 1 in any media format that I've found has mentioned seeing him there, I take it he wasn't present. I'm glad you saw the same thing I did--nice to know I'm not losing it.  :)  It hadn't occurred to me that it might not have been a live shot, but I'm thinking that must be the explanation given that I believe it was Corey. After reading an interview with Clint this past week where he said he'd take Corey back "in a heartbeat," I found myself hoping Corey might be helping out on home games or something. Clint's comments have me believing all those rumors about Corey's conduct were just that--rumors. I can't see that a coach--even a dad--would take an assistant back "in a heartbeat" if some wrongdoing had occurred. So, I was hoping he was there. But apparently not...

13 hours ago, autigeremt said:

This team is unstoppable if they can somehow get the bats going a little more.

That's a mighty big "if". Another big "if" is that IF we're going to be a pitch to contact pitching staff, the errors have simply got to stop.

The potential is there for another run at OKC but it's now becoming time for these things start to fall into place. I'm not discouraged, but I'm certainly concerned.

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

That's a mighty big "if". Another big "if" is that IF we're going to be a pitch to contact pitching staff, the errors have simply got to stop.

The potential is there for another run at OKC but it's now becoming time for these things start to fall into place. I'm not discouraged, but I'm certainly concerned.

I would love for the errors to drop more, but looking back on last season statistics we are committing slightly less less errors per game than last year.  VERY SLIGHTLY.  It does seem like the errors are piling up, and they definitely extend innings.  If we can eliminate most of those, then we eliminate a lot of base runners on the process.   Here's a look at our errors over the last 3 seasons.

2015   45 errors in 67 games comes out to .671 errors per game
2016  63 errors in 70 games comes out to 0.9 errors per game
2017  33 errors in 39 games, comes out to 0.846 errors per game.

Most of our errors are coming from the middle of the infield.  Fagan with 8, and McCrackin with 9 and Crocker with 1.   That's more than half of our team errors there with 18 of them.   We are young on the right side of the infield, but at the same time, we've played 39 games.  We shouldn't be making the same mistakes.  Ironically though the left side of the infield with the 2 veteran players have just as many errors as the right side, give or take 1 or 2.   12 errors for the left side and 13 for the right side.

Slightly off topic, but the softball scoring is lenient to both fielders and hitters, to put it mildly. I'm not speaking of just our team, it's everywhere. Modestly hit liners that pop out of a fielder's glove are scored hits, on and on across the sport. Were these games being scored like baseball is scored, a bunch of batting averages would nosedive, right along with fielding percentages.

Archived