Softball vs. Ole Miss - game 3

errors may be similar, but i assume the runs scored per game is down.  also, i'm curious (as long as someone else does the hard work) have the errors this year resulted in more runs for the other team versus last year?  it seems as though we have given up more runs than our pitchers ERA would indicate.  just some thoughts without research ...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

errors may be similar, but i assume the runs scored per game is down.  also, i'm curious (as long as someone else does the hard work) have the errors this year resulted in more runs for the other team versus last year?  it seems as though we have given up more runs than our pitchers ERA would indicate.  just some thoughts without research ...

Since unearned runs are not a part of the ERA this leads to the aberration.  A number of those unearned runs have really hurt us .....ie..game 1 vs Florida.  Must be a heart breaker for pitcher like Carlson to lose a game like that due to an infield error after such a good job on the mound.

20 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

As an offense, we're scoring 6.12 runs/game this year as opposed to 7.94 runs/game last year. As a pitching staff, we've allowed 75 runs, 60 earned, for a team ERA of 1.66. So, that's 15 unearned runs allowed in 39 games or .38 unearned runs per game allowed. Last year, we allowed 179 runs, 142 earned, for a team ERA of 2.19. That's 37 unearned runs or .52 unearned runs per game allowed. Based on the numbers, everything has fallen on the shoulders of the pitching and defense to carry this team because the offense just isn't as potent as last year. The pitching is fairly significantly improved, and the defense isn't any worse than last year. It probably has more to do with the idea that we aren't scoring as many runs so every error or base hit is magnified because we don't do as good a job of erasing them in our next at bats.

Archived