Offensive News and Notes from A-Day

StatTiger

Thanks and WDE!!!

It was great to see the offense passing when they "wanted" more so than when they "had to".

Can I get an amen; agreed with almost everything else you said in the post, but it looked to me like Kam Martin had a less than stellar day (fumbled, missed wheel route), but I know he has potential.

It's always boggled my mind that we haven't done the normal plays like crossing routes/slants, passing to te's, swing passes to hb's, wr's adjusting their routes...this is all stuff that need to be incorporated and I'm glad this stuff is finally. This is one of the reasons that sammie coates has had a hard time adjusting in the nfl among other reasons. KJ and Kam will be something special catching the ball and playmaking and bubba is certain to surprise us. I wanted more passes to sal cannella but I think he will be one of the prime redzone targets that we've needed for so long. Oh boy it's feeling like 2014 hype-wise again for me...there is just NO way that we underachieve even with the hard schedule. 

Edited by WFE12

Good stuff as always Stat.  The proof will be in the pudding when the real games start.

wde

• Like 1

If Stidham gets hurt in a critical game I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Willis' redshirt gets burned. With SW out much of the offseason I have this lingering concern that he will never be 100% again.

• Like 1

Awesome stat!    It was incredible watching them throw the ball.   It is funny you talking about it being vanilla and it was more open than I can remember.   

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

If Stidham gets hurt in a critical game I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Willis' redshirt gets burned. With SW out much of the offseason I have this lingering concern that he will never be 100% again.

Not happening

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WFE12 said:

It's always boggled my mind that we haven't done the normal plays like crossing routes/slants, passing to te's, swing passes to hb's, wr's adjusting their routes...this is all stuff that need to be incorporated and I'm glad this stuff is finally. 

What pictures would you put on the posters on the sideline to call those plays...lol?

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

What pictures would you put on the posters on the sideline to call those plays...lol?

Idk ,wish i had something witty for you but I don't lol.

All I've got to see us just a few highlights but I sure did like what I saw from Stidham. But I was wondering why Barrett played very, very little?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, milehighfan said:

All I've got to see us just a few highlights but I sure did like what I saw from Stidham. But I was wondering why Barrett played very, very little?

I think it is somewhat of the fact that he did not play much, is the answer. At the moment there looks to be 4 QB's better than he is.

If Stidham is not the starter, it will be because of injury (or suspension if he breaks a team rule or something). He just looks too comfortable already to say he'd be behind Sean on the depth chart.

I know Sean didn't play but he did come out and warm up with the QBs and looked good throwing the ball. I don't think there will be any doubts he can fill in as needed during the season, barring further injuries.

As for who is behind Sean at the #3 spot.. well, Woody, I guess? Malik looks better but I hope they redshirt him to preserve his eligibility. Just from what I observed, Woody may never step on the field except in blowout games. I won't be surprised to hear of him applying for a transfer after this season (especially if we land the QB recruits we want for 2018).

17 hours ago, thaitopher said:

Sean White's time as QB should be done at Auburn. By no means am I dissing on him, but I don't think he is even our second-best option at QB. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, logan adams said:

Sean White's time as QB should be done at Auburn. By no means am I dissing on him, but I don't think he is even our second-best option at QB. 

If he is 100% healthy I would have to disagree. If not, I would probably agree with you. The only player I could potentially see passing up an injured SW would be Malik Willis, but the coaching staff is probably hesitant to burn his redshirt. WB looks far far from being able to play a meaningful snap at QB - if I had to predict his  career I would say he eventually changes positions or transfers - but maybe not, hope I am wrong.

Edited by thaitopher
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, logan adams said:

gotta disagree....a healthy SW is a very good QB who could play at most SEC schools.   Sure you have to cherry pick the games he's played in to see what he is capable of, since he has been injured to one extent or another in most of the games he has started. He has some seriously good stats despite his health problems.

JMO but he is a very solid #2 at the least...and while I'm a big fan of Willis, a red shirt season would do wonders for is future.   As for Woody.....i'm thinking his QB career at AU is over. Seems to be a good kid but not SEC ready. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, AU64 said:

gotta disagree....a healthy SW is a very good QB who could play at most SEC schools.   Sure you have to cherry pick the games he's played in to see what he is capable of, since he has been injured to one extent or another in most of the games he has started. He has some seriously good stats despite his health problems.

JMO but he is a very solid #2 at the least...and while I'm a big fan of Willis, a red shirt season would do wonders for is future.   As for Woody.....i'm thinking his QB career at AU is over. Seems to be a good kid but not SEC ready. 

While not completely in disagreement, if JS went down with an injury and we were still in the thick of the conference race, I would not be surprised to see Willis getting some opportunities. While it was just a spring game, he looked dynamic. And while he is a just a freshman, he actually has more time in the Chip Lindsey offense than SW.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AU64 said:

have to agree with 64. If Stidham is the starter and we have a healthy SW. we have the best #2 QB in the conference or nation for that matter.

• Like 2

I believe that Sean White is a good SEC quarterback.  What everyone must realize is that a Quarterback needs a scheme to match his talents and Sean is a pro style QB.  The scheme that we have been running for the past two years has had terrible WR routes, just deplorable.  We were basically running a version of the Deleware Wing T/triple option.  What you have to be impressed with is that  on first down almost 4 out of 5 times, we ran the ball.  Sean had to make most of his throws when opposing defenses expected the pass, and he had the highest QBR in the league ladies and gentlemen!  The kid was and is good, in this scheme he would be better, dare I say pre-injury very close to Stidham.  Coach Lindsay's scheme is what a college level offensive scheme should look like in the modern era.  It should have viable reads so that when the NFL caliber rushers in the SEC hit the edge, the QB can seamlessly drop the ball into a check off so he can avoid getting pounded.  That didn't happen for Sean very much last year, have you thought maybe If he had a scheme that would help him out HE WOULDN'T BE SO INJURY PRONE.  How about you all stand back there while Miles Garrett is coming and Gus calls a play where two wide receivers are on fly routes and the other is running a deep post!  What about that third down play during the Texas A&M game where on third and long we do the reverse fake and Sean gets creamed.  ABSOLUTELY IDIOTIC PLAY-CALLING FOR A PRO STYLE QB..

This scheme that Coach Lindsay has already implemented is ten times better.  We actually have detailed routes, we have drags patterns, we have crossing patterns, shallow rubs and we utilize every eligible receiver!  If the linemen can gel and be on top of their blocking assignments this scheme is a Qbs dream.  I am excited because I SEE DEVELOPMENT, ACTUAL DEVELOPMENT for the first time with the wide receivers and QBs in three years on offense.  This will always baffle me though, Gus Malzahn has been called a "offensive genius."  I will never understand his mode of thought these past two years, hell maybe he was going through a midlife crisis (insert snarky comment about his Suicide door BMW here) but his schemes were so incredibly simplistic and not much above Pop Warner schemes you see in your community YMCA.

If you are a person who is excited out of their mind about Jarrett Stidham, that's great.  HOWEVER, pump your brakes if you think he is the next Jon Stauback!  The dude went against the second defense, we should probably be more impressed by what Malik Miller did against the 1s, but who knows how good the 1s are as a unit.  You will never truly know what kind of QB or football player you have unless you let them go live 1s vs. 1s with no orange jerseys.  IRON SHARPENS IRON BOYS

Edited by The Defiant
Because of grammar
  • Like 7

Pretty much how I have felt about SW. The kid makes good choices and I never had to hold my breath when he was throwing the ball. He has 2 knocks that, unfortunately, are not good qualities for an SEC QB - injury prone and trouble with throws over 20-25 yards. There are a lot of "what ifs" had he been given the opportunity to throw to a more diverse set of routes and kept out of obvious pass situations. 

1 hour ago, AUcivE09 said:

Pretty much how I have felt about SW. The kid makes good choices and I never had to hold my breath when he was throwing the ball. He has 2 knocks that, unfortunately, are not good qualities for an SEC QB - injury prone and trouble with throws over 20-25 yards. There are a lot of "what ifs" had he been given the opportunity to throw to a more diverse set of routes and kept out of obvious pass situations. 

This may be the first time in his career at  AU that an offense is well suited for Sean. If he is healthy, I think he would be a dangerous quarterback running the offense we saw on Saturday.   Stidham has better prospects but if he were hurt I would not worry much if Sean were sent in.JMO

1 hour ago, AUcivE09 said:

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

This may be the first time in his career at  AU that an offense is well suited for Sean. If he is healthy, I think he would be a dangerous quarterback running the offense we saw on Saturday.   Stidham has better prospects but if he were hurt I would not worry much if Sean were sent in.JMO

Mr. White has carried his skills to the table. Iff [sic] he's still broken, we (alas) broke him.

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

Woody is as ready as sw was as a redshirt freshman

Now that's a qb and an offense! Like I've always been saying you have to be able to stretch the field and isn't it amazing how the wr's get better when they get more attempts and targets?