Will we beat Clemson this year?

Builder

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Auburn will take them.

10 hours ago, bigbird said:

50/50

I am curious of why you think that?  Their whole offense is gone along with key defenders gone as well.

Their defense will be strong. Offensively it will depend on who emerges as the starter at QB. Bryant is the early favorite.

I believe we will beat them but it will be a game until the middle of the 4th quarter.

25 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I am curious of why you think that?  Their whole offense is gone along with key defenders gone as well.

We win or we lose.  ;D

37 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

That was EXACTLY what we said when we played them last year. If you remember, they lost a LOT of defensive starters after the 2015 season so Auburn assumed that we had a really good chance to beat them. There is even a thread on it that is like 50 pages or something. Little did we know that they had a TON of really elite defensive talent coming in that didn't start the prior year. I think the same can be said of their new offensive players. Their new QB was a highly rated recruit who has now had some time under his belt to learn the system. He may not be a Deshaun Watson, but with the defense they have, he doesn't need to be.

52 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

That was EXACTLY what we said when we played them last year. If you remember, they lost a LOT of defensive starters after the 2015 season so Auburn assumed that we had a really good chance to beat them. There is even a thread on it that is like 50 pages or something. Little did we know that they had a TON of really elite defensive talent coming in that didn't start the prior year. I think the same can be said of their new offensive players. Their new QB was a highly rated recruit who has now had some time under his belt to learn the system. He may not be a Deshaun Watson, but with the defense they have, he doesn't need to be.

I remember we said that.  I was one of them.  For the most part, it was true too.  We lost in the very last seconds and would have won if Sean White played the whole game.  That is just why I am asking now that it is hard to find weaknesses in our 2017 team.  Depth in the secondary, and maybe edge rushers, but that is about it.  I guess it being a home game for them helps their case a little.

At Death Valley against what should still be a really good defense, I think it will take the best game we've played in 2-3 years to win there, regardless of their QB situation. Five months away from that kickoff, I'm hopeful we can win, but I certainly don't think we will just stroll in there and win convincingly. Might be a low-scoring defensive battle.

None of Clemson's quarterbacks this year really scare me that much...except for Hunter Johnson, a five star recruit who will be a true freshman in 2017, but was an early enrollee. He was the #30 ranked player in the country and the #2 ranked Pro style quarterback recruit in the 2017 class. If he does play, then it is definitely a good thing that Auburn gets Clemson early in the season because it will probably take him a few games to really get his feet wet.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/2/9/14461272/hunter-johnson-clemson-qb-deshaun-watson-2017

Both teams have some question marks. Can Clemson replace their QB and even if they find a good one will he be ready against a great defense by game 2 of the season. Can the Auburn O-Line hold up against a tough Clemson D-Line and can Stidham be anywhere near as good as he seemed to be in the A-Day game. I think we have a good chance against them maybe a little better than 50/50 but they have been to the big game 2 years in a row that type of experience will help them in this game.

1 hour ago, thaitopher said:

None of Clemson's quarterbacks this year really scare me that much...except for Hunter Johnson, a five star recruit who will be a true freshman in 2017, but was an early enrollee. He was the #30 ranked player in the country and the #2 ranked Pro style quarterback recruit in the 2017 class. If he does play, then it is definitely a good thing that Auburn gets Clemson early in the season because it will probably take him a few games to really get his feet wet.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/2/9/14461272/hunter-johnson-clemson-qb-deshaun-watson-2017

If this dude isn't the second coming, then without Tahj and Deshaun, I think Dabo gets a big dose of reality this year.  (At least I really, really hope he does.)  If he pulls out 10 plus wins again without either of those 2 at QB, I'll start to respect him somewhat as a coach.

3 hours ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

We better just hope that we aren't overlooking Georgia Southern the week before or it won't matter if we beat Clemson or not. They are running the option again. 

Georgia Southern can give you fits.  They beat Florida in recent memory (Florida was not a world beater that year, but anyways) and have made the FBS transition well.  When was the last time we played an option team?  I am curious to how the defense plays them in that game.  Good thing it is the first game of the year to prep for. 

YES! The fact that we get a warm up game against GA Southern gives me a ton of confidence that we'll be Clemson by 7 - 10 points. I know Clemson returns talent but they're going to have to replace some key positions.

I don't think their will be much drop off at all on our defense. Plus, the fact that we basically gave away the game to them last year by playing QB musical chairs and still had a chance to win towards the end of the game gives me great confidence we're going to beat Clemson. We get them early before they've had time to adjust to a new QB and WR playmaker. I feel very confident about beating Clemson. 

We should have won the game last year and would have won except for the Gus QB fiasco.  I think we beat them this year.  Defenses are comparable but we now have a clear advantage on offense after Deshaun went pro and we got Stidham, plus Bubba back, plus now experienced receivers, plus the best kicker in America. Ain't going to be easy but I think we have the advantages in our favor.

45 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Georgia Southern can give you fits.  They beat Florida in recent memory (Florida was not a world beater that year, but anyways) and have made the FBS transition well.  When was the last time we played an option team?  I am curious to how the defense plays them in that game.  Good thing it is the first game of the year to prep for. 

Like you said, thankfully, we have all of August to prepare for them. That's not a game I'd want scheduled in the middle of the season. The down side is we probably don't get to put in as much of the Clemson game plan early like we could with some other cupcakes. The positive thing about the Clemson game is they will probably be a run-heavy team early in the season. So, facing a run-heavy team, even if it is the option, will help prepare us and have us thinking about playing assignment football. 

I see three distinct advantages that we have this year that we did not have last year.

1. We will have a clear cut qb to start the game instead of the 3-headed monster from last year.

2. Last year we did not establish KP as the go-to running back until the 3rd or 4th game of the season, if I'm correct. This year we definitely know who our stud is at RB.

3. Clemson is not starting out the year with 2 first round NFL draft picks as their stars on offense.

The game against GS for our opener will give us time to gel on both defense and offense, and I believe it's a close game with Clemson for the 1st half, but we pull away some in the 2nd half.

Archived