Will we beat Clemson this year?

Builder

I think we beat Clemson based on the QB position alone. Stidham has taken live game snaps and their RS hasn't.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

I know that you and austudent22 from the ITAT board are fans of Roof (and I respect that), but I never was a huge fan of Roof as a DC.  I do think he was better than Ellis though.  FWIW, the fact that Bolt had any input at all is reason enough to question the Chizik hire by the PTB.  

wde

Mere mention of that scenario still makes me cringe......add in Tim Jackson running sh!t and I :puke:

15 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

I know that you and austudent22 from the ITAT board are fans of Roof (and I respect that), but I never was a huge fan of Roof as a DC.  I do think he was better than Ellis though.  FWIW, the fact that Bolt had any input at all is reason enough to question the Chizik hire by the PTB.  

wde

The Auburn defense began its' downturn under Roof.  Roof runs a high risk high reward defense.  He doesn't aim to stop you on downs but with turn overs.  He teach his players to strip the ball instead of tackling and defenders to go for the pick.  Yes his D does really well against the run but that is to encourage the other team to pass more.  Roof definitely knows what he is doing but and his defenses are exciting to watch but I never wanted his defense at Auburn and am glad it's gone. 

Roof had good 2nd half adjustments, but @ToomersStreetis right. As a program we were a top 15 to top 10 defensive team consistently until Roof came along. Then the bottom just fell out from under us on that side of the ball. I blame Chizik and Roof equally but Roof was the man in charge specifically of the defense, but I'll still never understand how a fantastic defensive mind like Chizik allowed that type of thing to happen to us defensively.

Can you imagine if Auburn had 2016 defense with Cam Newton offense?  Auburn would have been beating people 65-10 on a regular basis.

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

Roof had good 2nd half adjustments, but @ToomersStreetis right. As a program we were a top 15 to top 10 defensive team consistently until Roof came along. Then the bottom just fell out from under us on that side of the ball. I blame Chizik and Roof equally but Roof was the man in charge specifically of the defense, but I'll still never understand how a fantastic defensive mind like Chizik allowed that type of thing to happen to us defensively.

Long story, but from what I was told was Jay Jacobs offered Chizik the job but also took it upon himself to hire most of Chiziks staff:  Malzahn best offense in the nation, Trooper and Looper for recruiting, and Roof a former Broyles award winner for DC.  Put a staff around Chizik so talented Chizik just has to put everything on auto pilot.  Of course we all know how that story ends.  But Roofs' defense that won him the Broyles award allowed 22 points a game.  However, supposedly Roof and Chizik did not see I to eye on anything defensively, and the AD hiring to OC and DC whose systems clashed with Chizik's philosophy's was a short and long term mess for Chizik.  But Chizik deserves what he got.  He agreed to allowing Jacobs and certain boosters to play a role in staff changes.  However, there is a possibility Gus agreed to something similar.  I know the when Jacobs and company interviewed Kirby Smart the interview broke down on two things.  One of those was Jacobs insisted on he and boosters having a say so on who can be hired and fired.  Neither side would budge.  I would assume that same issue was given to Gus and that he agreed to it, but I don't actually know.

8 minutes ago, Tiger said:

He was the one in front...he was never in charge of it ; it was the same thing for BVG. It was because of Chizik that we suffered so badly on D.  Very true about Roof's attacking style of defense, which made it a bad match to work under a Tampa-2 disciple.  The level of disruption behind the scenes on the D during the Chizik years was some if the most egregious I've ever seen.

8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

He was the one in front...he was never in charge of it ; it was the same thing for BVG. It was because of Chizik that we suffered so badly on D.  Very true about Roof's attacking style of defense, which made it a bad match to work under a Tampa-2 disciple.  The level of disruption behind the scenes on the D during the Chizik years was some if the most egregious I've ever seen.

I had heard a lot of different things about was going on behind the scenes.  None of them were good.  So my assessment was regardless of what was going on it must be bad. 

12 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

Long story, but from what I was told was Jay Jacobs offered Chizik the job but also took it upon himself to hire most of Chiziks staff:  Malzahn best offense in the nation, Trooper and Looper for recruiting, and Roof a former Broyles award winner for DC.  Put a staff around Chizik so talented Chizik just has to put everything on auto pilot.  Of course we all know how that story ends.  But Roofs' defense that won him the Broyles award allowed 22 points a game.  However, supposedly Roof and Chizik did not see I to eye on anything defensively, and the AD hiring to OC and DC whose systems clashed with Chizik's philosophy's was a short and long term mess for Chizik.  But Chizik deserves what he got.  He agreed to allowing Jacobs and certain boosters to play a role in staff changes.  However, there is a possibility Gus agreed to something similar.  I know the when Jacobs and company interviewed Kirby Smart the interview broke down on two things.  One of those was Jacobs insisted on he and boosters having a say so on who can be hired and fired.  Neither side would budge.  I would assume that same issue was given to Gus and that he agreed to it, but I don't actually know.

Sheeeesh talk about setting yourself up for dysfunction...Thanks for that breakdown though. I didn't realize things were so messy. I had read some vague things but this kind of details that point in time a little more. Thanks for the insight.

11 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Damn...no wonder that era came crashing down in the fashion that it did.

51 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Can you imagine if Auburn had 2016 defense with Cam Newton offense?  Auburn would have been beating people 65-10 on a regular basis.

Even the 2016 defense with the 2014 offense would've been great.

58 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Didn't Ellis Johnson suffer the same fate, and wasn't it Muschamp who put an end to the meddling, or was at least instrumental in that? 

52 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Didn't Ellis Johnson suffer the same fate, and wasn't it Muschamp who put an end to the meddling, or was at least instrumental in that? 

Good question. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I got no inside info, but considering Muschamp's status and desirability at the time, I imagine he could demand quite a few things and have them guaranteed in his contract before he walked into what he knew he was walking into.  So I imagine you're right on him stopping the meddling.

Pretty dumb move by Jacobs.  Was Chizik instructed to stay out of Xs and Os meetings?...b/c that's the only way that setup works...make Chizik a figure head only who gives some rah rah speeches, seals the deal on recruits/staff, and fundraises.  No self-respecting coach with ambitions would agree to that...should have drug on old coach like Pat Dye out of retirement if that's what he wanted.

3 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Pretty dumb move by Jacobs.  Was Chizik instructed to stay out of Xs and Os meetings?...b/c that's the only way that setup works...make Chizik a figure head only who gives some rah rah speeches, seals the deal on recruits/staff, and fundraises.  No self-respecting coach with ambitions would agree to that...should have drug on old coach like Pat Dye out of retirement if that's what he wanted.

Rhetorical?

wde

On 4/18/2017 at 4:02 PM, AUDevil said:

Ehh, we must always remember there's still a group above Jacobs that pulls the strings just like it was when Tubs was here, when Chizik was here, and even now when Malzhan is here.  Jacobs does not make decisions all by himself, especially the really important decisions about AU's lifeblood sport.  

Clemson was a boring topic. :big:

Ellis' player pool did not fit his star system that requires an all-world decision-making linebacker - but he tried to force it anyway.

Roof when hired was what his resume indicated - a guy with a lot of success at U Mass, Duke, Minn & GT against low-mid level athlete (read: NOT SEC) offenses. He learned well at Auburn but at our expense.  

Gene Chizik was a terrific defensive mind that as HC did on D what Gus is doing now on O: shelved what made him special in the first place.

Whew, that was fun!

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 4:02 PM, AUDevil said:

I can tell you this.  What I was told, is that the job of any head coach is to get everyone to march to the beat of the same drum.  Chizik from the get go handed out a drum to every coach on his staff.  11 coaches, 11 drum beats..

2 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

I can tell you this.  What I was told, is that the job of any head coach is to get everyone to march to the beat of the same drum.  Chizik from the get go handed out a drum to every coach on his staff.  11 coaches, 11 drum beats..

No doubt the most synchronized unit since this one...

drumming.circle.jpg

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

No doubt the most synchronized unit since this one...

drumming.circle.jpg

How did you get the photo of Chiziks staff meeting?

1 hour ago, ToomersStreet said:

Apparently can be done but,

I suspect, very difficult to arrange

That drum circle peace pipe session is probably where Chizik decided to go with the short shorts for practice

55 minutes ago, Tiger said:

That drum circle peace pipe session is probably where Chizik decided to go with the short shorts for practice

...and Muschamp with his Jorts.

Archived