2018 4* CB Jaycee Horn

ellitor

Rising DB impressed by Auburn, puts Tigers among top

Coming into his A-Day visit, Jaycee Horn didn’t know what to expect from Auburn.

He’d been to the Plains only once before — last summer for a camp, and not as a recruit. Now that Horn’s recruitment has fully blown up, he was one of the top recruiting targets on campus for a busy spring game.

If he had any uncertainties about the Tigers coming into the weekend, they were washed away by the visit. In fact, Horn released a top 7 on Sunday night — something he foreshadowed Saturday — that included Auburn, Alabama, Tennessee, Wake Forest, South Carolina, Ole Miss and Ohio State.

Auburn impressed Horn, the son of former four-time NFL Pro Bowl receiver Joe Horn.

“It was better than I thought. I didn’t expect the campus to be this nice. It was real nice. The dorms were some of the best I’ve seen, the player lounge. So the next time I’m here, I’m going to try to get around some of the players and connect with them some,” Horn said. “I’ll definitely be back. They’re recruiting me the hardest, or one of the hardest.”

During the spring game, Horn focused in on Carlton Davis, who he said reminds him of himself. Horn is a long-armed cornerback like Davis. The 6-foot-1, 175-pound prospect is one of the fastest rising prospects in the nation. Since coming into 2017 without many offers, Horn has picked up 37 new offers in a three-month span.

Auburn’s came on March 1.

Horn’s return to Auburn allowed him to get his first meeting with defensive backs coach Greg Brown.

DSC_0617_mfnbbp.jpg
Auburn DB coach Greg Brown (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

“His resume speaks for itself. The NFL is the highest level of competition, so I can learn some things from him,” Horn said. “I just tried to take some of the drills I seen them doing pregame and take them back home to work on. I was impressed, the way coach Brown coached up his DBs, and I got a chance to meet with him. I was impressed with the campus and stuff.”

Brown was the New Orleans Saints’ secondary coach for four years (2002-05) when the elder Horn was on the team. That past relationship made for some fun, interesting conversations in Brown’s office on Saturday.

“Yeah, he coached on the Saints when my dad was there. My dad remembers him. We were watching some old film with my dad going 1-on-1,” Horn said. “He was coaching DBs. … I didn’t get a chance to talk with my dad too much (about Brown). I just texted him and told him I was in his office and asked, ‘Do you remember him?’ He was like yeah, and I was going to call him to talk more.”

Impressed by step one with Auburn, Horn is eager to see what the post-visit interactions are like.

“I’m just trying to visit schools to see how it is on campus before I narrow it down all the way. After this visit, they sit in a pretty good spot after seeing how they talk to me,” Horn said. “You know, relationships are a pretty big thing, so over the next couple of weeks, I’m going to see how we stay in contact with each other.”

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

kid is going to be really good. T rob and Boom know their DB recruiting. Wish he was feeling us more seeing as we need another cb. LOVE US MORE!!!!!!!! lol

4 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

kid is going to be really good. T rob and Boom know their DB recruiting. Wish he was feeling us more seeing as we need another cb. LOVE US MORE!!!!!!!! lol

tenor.gif?itemid=4438533

45 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

A 3-star? 38 offers from all the best schools in the nation lol.

He's a 4*. Title was never updated since he never was serious about AU.

Archived