Ole Miss is a trap game for us IMO

GwillMac6

Everyone is going to write them off because of the ncaa scandal and cloud hanging over their head and recruiting is starting to already take a huge hit and they will soon go back to being a lower tier sec program but they are going to be good (at least the offense will be) for as long as Shea Patterson is at QB. They do not have much of a running game but him breaking contain and those big Wrs scare the heck out of me. So glad it is a home game. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't forget the temptation to look ahead to what will hopefully be a huge showdown with LSU. Shea is dangerous.

Just now, AUwent said:

Don't forget the temptation to look ahead to what will hopefully be a huge showdown with LSU. Shea is dangerous.

Their offense is no joke. They are going to give fits to every sec team they play this year and could play spoiler even if their D cannot stop anyone.

They are apparently giving bowl names to each game this year. I'm with you on this one man. We gonna need Jamel Dean and our other big db's for them cats

We get them at home and their defense is going to be really rough.Not saying you can overlook either of the Miss schools because they have QBs and offenses good enough to beat you, but OM is the least concerning of the two. Miss St and at Mizzou are more worrisome to me because they both will have better defenses to go along with solid QBs and good offenses.

Just about every team in the SEC can win on any given Saturday, especially in the west. Ole Miss is no exception right now - especially with their QB who is great. 

The difference between us and Ole Miss is that we have a better TEAM. They may score some points, but we should have the better defense, the better kicking game, and (dare I say it) maybe even a better QB. I hope so. Guess we will see...

Ole miss lost too many of their wr's and that tight end. The qb is good but ole miss wr talent they had the last 3-4 years are waaaay down

Yeah I just don't see it . They will be breaking in a young , mobile QB and will need to find new playmakers on the outside . Not to mention there defense is pretty bad .

When you have a great QB like OM does, you will have a legitimate chance to win any game.mkind of like last year. Chad Kelley always gave them a chance to win even though the defense was awful. 

3 hours ago, WFE12 said:

They are apparently giving bowl names to each game this year. I'm with you on this one man. We gonna need Jamel Dean and our other big db's for them cats

I saw a lot of people laughing at this (on twitter and what not) but if those kids get behind that idea and you add that to the already big chip on their shoulder, they are going to be that much more pumped up for each game. 

I'm defaulting to the "one game at a time" approach. Beat Ga Southern. 

With our recent seasons no one should be considered a trap game. We, as a team, should view ourselves as unranked all year with something to prove. Because there is a lot to prove.

13 hours ago, WarTiger said:

no such thing as a trap game. doesn't exist.

#truth

I don't believe in a "trap game" like the way we used to, especially in this league. There is very little room for an "element of surprise" and in the SEC West, you know that every single game counts and every team is capable of whipping you on any given Saturday. 

Sure, the emotional charge will be higher for bama, and probably LSU, but they know they have to come ready to play every week. 

As far as "trap" games - after we beat LSU on the road, immediately going on the road again with a high ranking against a very average/nothing to lose Arky team gets my vote for letdown candidate of the season. 

I don't know if I would say that is the trap game for us.  Their recruiting class this year was really bad, so by the time they play us, they may be thin on all fronts depth-wise.  Also, mentally they might nit be in it as there is nothing to play for.  Ole Miss also has no problem with us, as they might Mississippi State or Alabama.  I would side with LSU, although Clemson is the game I am focusing on the most.  If we win that, that will set the tone for us all year.

Also, I like how we are getting a few interesting threads like this one again.  Ever since the Sugar Bowl ended, the threads haven't been as intriguing.  Hopefully everything gets full force again once Summer camp starts.

16 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Everyone is going to write them off because of the ncaa scandal and cloud hanging over their head and recruiting is starting to already take a huge hit and they will soon go back to being a lower tier sec program but they are going to be good (at least the offense will be) for as long as Shea Patterson is at QB. They do not have much of a running game but him breaking contain and those big Wrs scare the heck out of me. So glad it is a home game. 

They don't have a running game, lost their WR strength + TE, they don't have a defense of SEC caliber and can't stop the run.  I think Auburn takes advantage of their weak defense, runs it down their throat and rocks their world.

10 minutes ago, keesler said:

They don't have a running game, lost their WR strength + TE, they don't have a defense of SEC caliber and can't stop the run.  I think Auburn takes advantage of their weak defense, runs it down their throat and rocks their world.

They still are stocked pretty full at the WR position with dude I cannot spell his name and AJ Brown. THEY ARE MASSIVE! both over 6 ft 3 I believe. What wr did they lose are you referring to? I know they lost all world TE Evan Engram but that is about all I can recall.

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

Ole Miss has not lost their WR strength. Tight end, yes. Wide receiver still full of young talent. 

Hugh Freeze is at great at manufacturing a passing game as Gus is a running game. Any prolific passing attack team I worry about playing them. Arky would be another one, 

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Defense

And o-line

Ole Miss will be a dangerous first half team like they were last year. Deeper teams will win gesture against them in the second half. We are a much deeper team. 

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

And o-line

Ole Miss will be a dangerous first half team like they were last year. Deeper teams will win gesture against them in the second half. We are a much deeper team. 

Yep. They always wore down as they game went along.  As long as we don't get away from our Identity we will be good. Run the ball and control tempo & the line. Don't get into an air raid match with them.

Archived