Ole Miss is a trap game for us IMO

GwillMac6

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yep. They always wore down as they game went along.  As long as we don't get away from our Identity we will be good. Run the ball and control tempo & the line. Don't get into an air raid match with them.

Isn't that the very reason why Auburn fans are so excited about the Chip Lindsey hire? Because we will get away from our identity and have much more of an air raid passing attack and not be so predictable on offense?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

Isn't that the very reason why Auburn fans are so excited about the Chip Lindsey hire? Because we will get away from our identity and have much more of an air raid passing attack and not be so predictable on offense?

I don't think any of us are hoping we get away from our identity. I still want us to be dominate in the run game. I think he will bring some more balance, and get us to a point where we can throw when we want to, as opposed to when we have to. But, by no means do I want us to lose our identity as a run first team. That's just me. 

5 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

Umm no. That is one of the reasons why Chip Lindsey was explicitly hired. He understands AU identity is to be a physical team, who wants to run at will. He is here to bring more balance on the offensive end. 

41 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Hugh Freeze is at great at manufacturing a passing game as Gus is a running game.

Wait.  Did you just complement Gus Malzahn?  I have screenshot this, and plan on taking it to be framed.  :bananadance:

16 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Wait.  Did you just complement Gus Malzahn?  I have screenshot this, and plan on taking it to be framed.  :bananadance:

I give compliments when the man deserves it. He is as bad at developing a high school qb as he is great at developing a great running game. 

48 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

The big contrast I'm hoping for is perhaps the ability to pass when the defense is daring us too. I would surmise, many would be happy with the results of us running the ball 80% of the time if the opposing team is willing to leave just 6-7 players in the box. The issue is, we need something for when there are 8-9 in the box. Being able to manufacture completions in obvious passing advantage situations has been a limitation for us the past couple years. 

passing on first down and when we go "fast" will be the biggest change I imagine. It will be such a welcome sight to run different plays in those situations. Everyone knew what was coming which included the opposing defenses.

Other than the Tamu game Ole Miss struggled mightily with Patterson at qb.  They should be better with a whole offseason to practice but they were bad the last 3 games of the season.  I see Miss State potential but Fitzgerald is a turnover machine

^As dangerous as Fitz is, I don't really think the Cowbells have a lot else going for them besides that...well, and an as-usual cake OOC schedule.

14 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I'm defaulting to the "one game at a time" approach. Beat Ga Southern. 

Not me. Bring on Thanksgiving in Auburn and bammer!!  Already liking this team. :jossun:

21 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Their offense is no joke. They are going to give fits to every sec team they play this year and could play spoiler even if their D cannot stop anyone.

This is the main reason why we'll beat Ole Miss. Sure they can put up points but their defense is not good. Patterson will likely be a good QB but he'll be pressed to put up points b/c of their lack of defense and be susceptible to 1-2 INTs a game. Ole Miss doesn't worry me. 

Ole Miss should blend in our schedule......of trap games. They don't stand out to me for my $.02. What does stand out to me more than anything is the difference (on paper) between the preparedness of this team and teams of the past. Not to mention we should be putting on the field something we haven't really seen since tubbervile: defense. War eagle.

Personally I think both the Mississippi's are trap games.  Last year was a rebuilding season for state and Nick Fitzgerald looks like a solid QB and Ole Miss QB and recievers should make for a tough game.

42 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

Personally I think both the Mississippi's are trap games.  Last year was a rebuilding season for state and Nick Fitzgerald looks like a solid QB and Ole Miss QB and recievers should make for a tough game.

I think Miss St. is def. a bigger threat to us than Ole Miss. I just don't think Ole Miss will not be able to stop many teams on defense. 

Guys I think a lot of yall are missing the point of trap games. They are the games everyone EXPECTS US TOO WIN! That is why they are a trap game! lol. It is not going to be a more obvious game like arky on the road with a really good qb.

As I look over our schedule, any one of those teams could be a trap game if we're not ready to play. Ole Miss, Miss. State, Missouri even Georgia Southern.

1 hour ago, KerryThachWDE said:

They play at Alabama the week before they play us.  they'll be beat up coming to JHS.  I like our chances.

That is a nice little piece of info there. Not only that, but they seem to get emotionally "up" for their match up with UAT every year. Hopefully that wears them out mentally as well.

All I'm saying is that if we take Georgia Southern lightly, they have a running game that will make you warn out long before the end of the 3rd quarter is over.

21 hours ago, Tiger said:

That is a nice little piece of info there. Not only that, but they seem to get emotionally "up" for their match up with UAT every year. Hopefully that wears them out mentally as well.

@ California

@Alabama

@Auburn

they wont have anything left in the tank. 

On 4/14/2017 at 0:38 PM, KerryThachWDE said:

@ California

@Alabama

@Auburn

they wont have anything left in the tank. 

They do have a bye week before the turd game doubt it helps

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:29 AM, GwillMac6 said:

Guys I think a lot of yall are missing the point of trap games. They are the games everyone EXPECTS US TOO WIN! That is why they are a trap game! lol. It is not going to be a more obvious game like arky on the road with a really good qb.

To be fair I think Gus has Bielemas' number. Bret's only win against Gus was in 2015 in Fayetteville against a bad Auburn team and it took him four OT's to do it. 

51 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

To be fair I think Gus has Bielemas' number. Bret's only win against Gus was in 2015 in Fayetteville against a bad Auburn team and it took him four OT's to do it. 

O I def think that. I am just referring to someone above saying they are more worried about arky as opposed to ole miss.

15 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

O I def think that. I am just referring to someone above saying they are more worried about arky as opposed to ole miss.

Oh.  Apologies.  I misread.

Archived