lkeel75

Could QB be an issue?

Recommended Posts

When you look at the other schools around the SEC & country you see talented QBs leave a program because they feel skipped over or whatever.  How does this work for AU?  Just something I was pondering today as to how the future looks for AU at the QB spot.  My focus really isn't this year but the future.    Currently we have 4 QBs on scholly (for purposes of this debate I am considering that JFIII is a SR WR so he doesn't count).

* Stidham has 3 years remaining
* White has 2 years remaining
* Barrett & Willis 4 years remaining

Let's assume Stidham does really good this year but not Heisman, so he is coming back next year.  Seems like to me that this would possibly push White to consider being a grad-transfer so he can get playing time somewhere.  More than likely in a pro-style O that possibly fits him a little better.  That would leave Barrett & Willis as backups (getting to 2018 Freshmen in just a second).  The problem I see here is that Barrett has already expressed issues with riding the pine (see end of last year tweet) and by all accounts he has been passed up by Willis already.  So it seems like WB would also look at transferring because he is not going to get the shot he thought.  That would leave MW as the backup to Stidham before we bring in possibly 2 QBs in the incoming class.  Now of those 2 QBs coming in (most likely guesses at this point): GB is a heck of an athlete but there are definitely questions around him being QB at the college level; JG has yet to play a full season as the starting QB for his high school.

Please don't get me wrong here.  I do believe we are in good shape.  I think we have a lot of talent at QB.  SO this is really a good problem to have.  I am just pondering if we can continue to stockpile good talent and convince them not to leave.  Or are today's athletes more worried about "me" and always going to be looking for "greener pastures"?  What can AU do to keep quality depth with so much talent?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




Stidham -> Willis -> Gatewood

Will be interesting to see how things pan out between Willis and Gatewood.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Stidham -> Willis -> Nix

Thank goodness Pat Nix was a good starter for us who I am sure has fond memories of his time at AU and is not a bitter former AU backup or I may of been actually worried about his sons recruitment and losing another legacy. PHEWWW.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Stidham -> Willis -> Nix

Going with what we've seen up to this point, you really think Nix would be better than Gatewood for us?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tend to agree with you analysis on that people may leave, but in today's environment, I think that is ok. Gatewood is committed and while not committed Bo Nix could very well be an Tiger, so I think you have to have the attrition to attract the next series of talent.  I also don't blame guys for wanting to transfer and play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doubt JS is here for 3 years, and WB is only one I see transferring.  If we get Nix and Willis pans out, we're good for awhile.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, logan adams said:

Going with what we've seen up to this point, you really think Nix would be better than Gatewood for us?

By a country mile

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

What can AU do to keep quality depth with so much talent?

Let's face is... Stidham/White/Willis is an anomaly in college football.  You see teams with a Stidham/Willis type combo frequently, since the latter is a freshman, but to have 2 experienced QBs with the level of talent that Stidham and White bring on the same team... that's bama fan in Mensa rare.

I agree that there is a good chance #2 will jump, next year, to get a shot a proving themselves to the NFL, but Willis will likely wait his turn, and Gatewood/Nix will make solid backups for him until it's their turn.

Basically, all we need to do is continue to sign one baller a year at QB and we'll be set in the back-up department.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

When you look at the other schools around the SEC & country you see talented QBs leave a program because they feel skipped over or whatever.  How does this work for AU?  Just something I was pondering today as to how the future looks for AU at the QB spot.  My focus really isn't this year but the future.    Currently we have 4 QBs on scholly (for purposes of this debate I am considering that JFIII is a SR WR so he doesn't count).

* Stidham has 3 years remaining
* White has 2 years remaining
* Barrett & Willis 4 years remaining

Let's assume Stidham does really good this year but not Heisman, so he is coming back next year.  Seems like to me that this would possibly push White to consider being a grad-transfer so he can get playing time somewhere.  More than likely in a pro-style O that possibly fits him a little better.  That would leave Barrett & Willis as backups (getting to 2018 Freshmen in just a second).  The problem I see here is that Barrett has already expressed issues with riding the pine (see end of last year tweet) and by all accounts he has been passed up by Willis already.  So it seems like WB would also look at transferring because he is not going to get the shot he thought.  That would leave MW as the backup to Stidham before we bring in possibly 2 QBs in the incoming class.  Now of those 2 QBs coming in (most likely guesses at this point): GB is a heck of an athlete but there are definitely questions around him being QB at the college level; JG has yet to play a full season as the starting QB for his high school.

Please don't get me wrong here.  I do believe we are in good shape.  I think we have a lot of talent at QB.  SO this is really a good problem to have.  I am just pondering if we can continue to stockpile good talent and convince them not to leave.  Or are today's athletes more worried about "me" and always going to be looking for "greener pastures"?  What can AU do to keep quality depth with so much talent?

I don't see how this is a problem.  You want QBs to be staggered.  Right now, it's likely that WB will transfer before fall.  No insider info there, just a hunch.  If JS comes back, then yes, Sean likely transfers his senior year.  But we have Joey Gatewood lined up for the 2018 class and Bo Nix likely in the 2019 class.  And that may not be the only QBs we end up signing.  You'll redshirt some guys, play others.  It'll be fine.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

It'll be fine.

The QB situation? At Auburn

I felt like the OP was almost a rhetorical question. 

Edited by McLoofus
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, logan adams said:

Let's also not forget that we need to continue to recruit solid WR's..

Which is where Gatewood may end up. His (foreseeably) inadequate high school senior year QB reps suggest Bird's scenario (Stidham - Willis - Nix). Of course recent history proves injuries make QB guessing games hard in the SEC.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The QB situation? At Auburn

I felt like the OP was almost a rhetorical question. 

He just seemed to be worried that somehow we were either going to have too many leave and be short, or have a glut and not use the talent.  But it seems to me the QBs are staggered appropriately and we'll be covered.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

He just seemed to be worried that somehow we were either going to have too many leave and be short, or have a glut and not use the talent.  But it seems to me the QBs are staggered appropriately and we'll be covered.

You are correct.  My concern is talent leaving and we end up being forced to play a kid before he is ready.  Prime example is where Turdtown was at 2 years ago vs now.  2 years ago they had experienced starter with couple 5* on bench.  Last year starter gone, 5* talent left and they were starting a true freshman.  Now they have a Soph starting and backup is likely another true FR.  They only have 3 QBs on scholarship.  That seems dangerous in the SEC much less the SEC West where QBs are bound to get dinged up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

He just seemed to be worried that somehow we were either going to have too many leave and be short, or have a glut and not use the talent.  But it seems to me the QBs are staggered appropriately and we'll be covered.

Gotcha. I agree that our succession plan is as good as can be hoped for. 

I just bristle at the notion that we can ever make any predictions about what the Auburn QB situation will actually be next week, much less the following season :)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

You are correct.  My concern is talent leaving and we end up being forced to play a kid before he is ready.  Prime example is where Turdtown was at 2 years ago vs now.  2 years ago they had experienced starter with couple 5* on bench.  Last year starter gone, 5* talent left and they were starting a true freshman.  Now they have a Soph starting and backup is likely another true FR.  They only have 3 QBs on scholarship.  That seems dangerous in the SEC much less the SEC West where QBs are bound to get dinged up.

I just don't see why you would worry about something like this.  You have to recruit talented guys for the position.  You try to manage it with redshirting and staggering them appropriately.  But you can't control if one of them takes off and becomes all-SEC and the others don't want to wait.  Yes, it could happen but, no you can't do anything about it ultimately.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I just don't see why you would worry about something like this.  You have to recruit talented guys for the position.  You try to manage it with redshirting and staggering them appropriately.  But you can't control if one of them takes off and becomes all-SEC and the others don't want to wait.  Yes, it could happen but, no you can't do anything about it ultimately.

Don't see it as "worry"ing per-sey.  Just that spring ball is over; everyone wants to talk about QBs and I just wanted to see what others thought of what I was thinking.  I agree we should be in good shape even with the transfers.  Just didn't know if others thought the same people would transfer or if I would get a bunch of "SW & WB are AU men.  They won't go anywhere. blah blah".  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Woody Barrett almost certainly will transfer unfortunately.  He was highly heralded coming in, and he knows it.  And now he is at the bottom of the depth chart.  Next Sean White will grad transfer most likely, and deserves to go play somewhere.  I do know his heart is in Auburn though so he could stay like JJ did.  

1 hour ago, logan adams said:

Let's also not forget that we need to continue to recruit solid WR's..

Gatewood was all over Ross (5* WR out of AL) at A-Day.  Never left his side.  Said he wants to throw to him at Auburn.  Nix is skyrocketing up recruiting rankings and would be a huge get for us, but he is a pro-style QB, while Gatgewood is a dual-threat.

I want to be selfish and keep all of the quarterbacks because I like them all, but I understand they want to better their futures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually think the deepest position AU has right now is QB. Got 3 good ones and none of those 3 will be transferring. And potentially have 2 good ones in Gatewood and Nix coming in the next couple of years. 

Hope Lindsey is the QB guy everyone says he is. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Woody Barrett almost certainly will transfer unfortunately.  He was highly heralded coming in, and he knows it.  And now he is at the bottom of the depth chart.  Next Sean White will grad transfer most likely, and deserves to go play somewhere.  I do know his heart is in Auburn though so he could stay like JJ did.  

Gatewood was all over Ross (5* WR out of AL) at A-Day.  Never left his side.  Said he wants to throw to him at Auburn.  Nix is skyrocketing up recruiting rankings and would be a huge get for us, but he is a pro-style QB, while Gatgewood is a dual-threat.

I want to be selfish and keep all of the quarterbacks because I like them all, but I understand they want to better their futures.

Nix can move. He isn't the typical pro guy. Really a Stidham type kid. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aucanucktiger said:

Which is where Gatewood may end up. His (foreseeably) inadequate high school senior year QB reps suggest Bird's scenario (Stidham - Willis - Nix). Of course recent history proves injuries make QB guessing games hard in the SEC.  

I think I read somewhere that Gatewood will be playing QB only his senior year . I need to link that article though , don't quote me.

 

neverthelss , I agree . I believe he will play multiple roles on offense, not primarily at QB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the future is very bright from what I saw Saturday.  JS is going to be great.  We know Sean is very good when he is healthy.  MW was surprisingly good for a freshman.  I don't know about Woody, he may have been hurt and if not maybe he needs to change positions.   No we probably keep them all but we should have a couple of good ones.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DAG said:

I think I read somewhere that Gatewood will be playing QB only his senior year . I need to link that article though , don't quote me.

 

neverthelss , I agree . I believe he will play multiple roles on offense, not primarily at QB.

That would be great news with Gatewood. Kid is recruiting his rear off for Auburn. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, DAG said:

I think I read somewhere that Gatewood will be playing QB only his senior year . I need to link that article though , don't quote me.

 

neverthelss , I agree . I believe he will play multiple roles on offense, not primarily at QB.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/04/auburn_joey_gatewood_a-day_rec.html

He will strictly be a QB for Auburn. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now