4 minutes ago, logan adams said:

He will strictly be a QB for Auburn. 

Not necessarily.  CJ was a QB too

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Not necessarily.  CJ was a QB too

I was just going on a quote in the al.com article where it said the only position he talks about with Auburn is QB. Gauging full-time at QB this season will be a lot more telling on how to utilize his athleticism. 

Just now, logan adams said:

I was just going on a quote in the al.com article where it said the only position he talks about with Auburn is QB. Gauging full-time at QB this season will be a lot more telling on how to utilize his athleticism. 

I agree. He would make a heck of a TE though.

Just now, bigbird said:

With his size, definitely. And it appears that the TE position will become relevant again in this new offensive scheme.

53 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I got a feeling that is where he will end up, has no experience playing QB and can easily grow into an athletic TE.

I just am wondering what game will be the yearly gus tradition at this point where we go in to game day thinking everything is fine with our starter then boom we see the backup starting and it turns out the starter has had a injury all week that gus has once again kept secret. Has happened the last 2 years.

31 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

I got a feeling that is where he will end up, has no experience playing QB and can easily grow into an athletic TE.

Malik Willis has one year of experience at QB. Joey Gatewood will get his full year of experience at QB next season. No need to write him off as a QB in college. 

1 hour ago, logan adams said:

He might WANT to be a QB at AU, but that doesn't strictly means he will stay there, even if he signs on the basis of our coaches word. We will see how he does his senior year, but he strikes me much more as a very versatile athlete rather than a QB.

Some may leave. As long as they were given a fair shot we can't worry about it. It will happen with good recruiting and development. bammer lost 3 this year. It's a good problem to have. 

5 hours ago, lkeel75 said:

When you look at the other schools around the SEC & country you see talented QBs leave a program because they feel skipped over or whatever.  How does this work for AU?  Just something I was pondering today as to how the future looks for AU at the QB spot.  My focus really isn't this year but the future.    Currently we have 4 QBs on scholly (for purposes of this debate I am considering that JFIII is a SR WR so he doesn't count).

* Stidham has 3 years remaining
* White has 2 years remaining
* Barrett & Willis 4 years remaining

Let's assume Stidham does really good this year but not Heisman, so he is coming back next year.  Seems like to me that this would possibly push White to consider being a grad-transfer so he can get playing time somewhere.  More than likely in a pro-style O that possibly fits him a little better.  That would leave Barrett & Willis as backups (getting to 2018 Freshmen in just a second).  The problem I see here is that Barrett has already expressed issues with riding the pine (see end of last year tweet) and by all accounts he has been passed up by Willis already.  So it seems like WB would also look at transferring because he is not going to get the shot he thought.  That would leave MW as the backup to Stidham before we bring in possibly 2 QBs in the incoming class.  Now of those 2 QBs coming in (most likely guesses at this point): GB is a heck of an athlete but there are definitely questions around him being QB at the college level; JG has yet to play a full season as the starting QB for his high school.

Please don't get me wrong here.  I do believe we are in good shape.  I think we have a lot of talent at QB.  SO this is really a good problem to have.  I am just pondering if we can continue to stockpile good talent and convince them not to leave.  Or are today's athletes more worried about "me" and always going to be looking for "greener pastures"?  What can AU do to keep quality depth with so much talent?

Holy...

Sorry.

Must ask, however - How much time and lamp oil do you spend on searching/digging for potential problems?

Que sera

7 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Let's face is... Stidham/White/Willis is an anomaly in college football.  You see teams with a Stidham/Willis type combo frequently, since the latter is a freshman, but to have 2 experienced QBs with the level of talent that Stidham and White bring on the same team... that's bama fan in Mensa rare.

I agree that there is a good chance #2 will jump, next year, to get a shot a proving themselves to the NFL, but Willis will likely wait his turn, and Gatewood/Nix will make solid backups for him until it's their turn.

Basically, all we need to do is continue to sign one baller a year at QB and we'll be set in the back-up department.

Glad to see you posting again, will continue to keep you in our prayers.

1 hour ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Holy...

Sorry.

Must ask, however - How much time and lamp oil do you spend on searching/digging for potential problems?

Que sera

No doubt. This thread is seriously based on doom and glooming a current position of strength 2 1/2 years from now. I'd bet if all those scenarios come true, we could still find a JUCO.  Here is another scenario. Economy crashes, no one can afford college, college football ceases to exist. Could happen :dunno:

I think the coaches should have let Woody go live at A-Day and see if he could be a QB or not.Reports are his passing game is not good, so they should have found out about his running game in live action to see if he could make plays with his feet.From what he showed at A-Day he may need to change positions or transfer.

I don't know if Woody will leave or not but with Lindsey as a true QB coach if he works hard the rest of spring and fall and does what coach tells him he could become very good. He has an arm and running skills but bad mechanics. Improved mechanics and time in the film room to improve his decision making and he could surprise people. I think the real question is if he realizes how good a QB coach Lindsey is and if he is willing to listen to him and put in the work or if he is still to immature.

6 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I don't know if Woody will leave or not but with Lindsey as a true QB coach if he works hard the rest of spring and fall and does what coach tells him he could become very good. He has an arm and running skills but bad mechanics. Improved mechanics and time in the film room to improve his decision making and he could surprise people. I think the real question is if he realizes how good a QB coach Lindsey is and if he is willing to listen to him and put in the work or if he is still to immature.

I expect the coaches did not need to see him at A-Day to know what he is capable of....in fact IMO, I'm betting he's been " live" in closed scrimmages and practices enough that they know what he needs.    Just how I see things .....but A-Day is mostly for the fans and for the players......the coaches don't need it to evaluate players.   It's not even under real game conditions with all kinds of special rules. .

As for Woody, likely he can improve his skills under Lindsey ...though he is in year two here....but no matter ....., he is still going to be 4th in the pecking order and unlikely to ever play unless we have a series of really bad injuries.  JMO 

Things change SOfast. If we do as well as we hope Lindsey will be the Tennessee coach next year. JS will be the overall number one pick. Sean will get hurt again. Willis may need more development and who knows how we replace Chip. Just relax. 

QB "could" become an issue for anybody at any time.  We, of all people, should know how quickly that can change.  We went from Cam to _______? in 2011, and then last year after SW's first injury we were awful at QB for the rest of the year. All of a sudden, now we have a 3 deep we feel good about as well as top prospects in the next 2 recruiting cycles.  I would say we are in as good of shape as anyone in the country.  At this moment, QB may be the last position of the field (with the possible exception of PK) that I would worry about.

21 hours ago, logan adams said:

Going with what we've seen up to this point, you really think Nix would be better than Gatewood for us?

Yes.. Bo Nix is a future star, better than his dad, who was no slouch. Gatewood may be really good or he could be a bust. No way to know until we see him in action. Some could say the same about Bo Nix, but you do not get his kind of hype and offers without having the goods. No doubt Patrick Nix has been grooming him most of his life!

We know Willis is good now. He has it between the ears. I saw him find his secondary and third receivers at A-Day game on several occasions. That's the difference between a naturally talented QB and one who is a complete package. JJ had the talent, but not the QB acumen.

People seems to forget what the 2016 Tigers were like BEFORE White and Pettway went down and then seeing  how we fell off the wagon afterwards. The backup QBs were horrible. Kerryon tried to take over for Pettway but he was playing injured as well. With a healthy Sean White we were clicking. With an injured Sean White we fell mightily. 

We have three QBs on campus now that can flat out play. Hoping we do not have to throw Willis into the fire this year, but if Stidham goes down we have Sean White. If both go down, Willis can come in and take over. Will there be a drop off? Sure.. Will it be as dramatic as last year? No way!

46 minutes ago, bikeriderga said:

Yes.. Bo Nix is a future star, better than his dad, who was no slouch. Gatewood may be really good or he could be a bust. No way to know until we see him in action. Some could say the same about Bo Nix, but you do not get his kind of hype and offers without having the goods. No doubt Patrick Nix has been grooming him most of his life!

We know Willis is good now. He has it between the ears. I saw him find his secondary and third receivers at A-Day game on several occasions. That's the difference between a naturally talented QB and one who is a complete package. JJ had the talent, but not the QB acumen.

People seems to forget what the 2016 Tigers were like BEFORE White and Pettway went down and then seeing  how we fell off the wagon afterwards. The backup QBs were horrible. Kerryon tried to take over for Pettway but he was playing injured as well. With a healthy Sean White we were clicking. With an injured Sean White we fell mightily. 

We have three QBs on campus now that can flat out play. Hoping we do not have to throw Willis into the fire this year, but if Stidham goes down we have Sean White. If both go down, Willis can come in and take over. Will there be a drop off? Sure.. Will it be as dramatic as last year? No way!

I would like both, but If I had to choose between them, I would definitely choose Bo for QB.

On 4/11/2017 at 2:57 PM, DAG said:

I think I read somewhere that Gatewood will be playing QB only his senior year . I need to link that article though , don't quote me.

neverthelss , I agree . I believe he will play multiple roles on offense, not primarily at QB.

He's been saying he is. Time will tell though.

On 4/11/2017 at 3:43 PM, logan adams said:

The conversation here though was about whether he will be QB1 & only play QB his last high school year. Neither of which has happened yet in his high school career.

On 4/11/2017 at 4:45 PM, GwillMac6 said:

I just am wondering what game will be the yearly gus tradition at this point where we go in to game day thinking everything is fine with our starter then boom we see the backup starting and it turns out the starter has had a injury all week that gus has once again kept secret. Has happened the last 2 years.

@GwillMac6

3ece8e94d24051a4ab046b4ab6278edd1fe223a0

On 4/11/2017 at 4:45 PM, GwillMac6 said:

I have no problem with Gus hiding the QB injury as the opposing team will game plan for the injured QB. The problem has been the backup QB was such a huge drop-off. This year it appears if something happens to #1 QB and Gus hides the fact we have at least two very good options.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

He's been saying he is. Time will tell though.

You would think it would be accurate if he wanted to truly play that position at the next level. To me , if I was getting the run around , I would just transfer .

Archived