Could QB be an issue?

LKEEL75

On 4/12/2017 at 7:32 AM, AuburnNTexas said:

I don't know if Woody will leave or not but with Lindsey as a true QB coach if he works hard the rest of spring and fall and does what coach tells him he could become very good. He has an arm and running skills but bad mechanics. Improved mechanics and time in the film room to improve his decision making and he could surprise people. I think the real question is if he realizes how good a QB coach Lindsey is and if he is willing to listen to him and put in the work or if he is still to immature.

I don't think you will ever see Woody taking a snap under center during a real AU game. IMO anyways. 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Rednilla said:

QB could become a problem if White and Barrett both transfer AND we have injuries, but we're in a better position at quarterback than virtually any other team in college football. Willis has the makings of a great QB in this offense, and Stidham looks like a world beater behind center. That means we'll have have at least two viable candidates for the next two years (I REALLY don't expect Stidham to go pro after just one season), plus whomever we might sign on the recruiting trail. I mean, honestly, we are perhaps in the best position at QB in college football right now; what more could be done to make you happy?

Best QB situation in college football ? Not sure I can go with that. All we have seen is a spring game from JS and MW and while I think everyone liked what they saw, it was a spring game that is usually set up for fan enjoyment. I do think JS can be a very good QB for us. He looked good in the spring game for sure. His accuracy and arm strength looked very good. MW was quick as a cat and certainly gives a lot of hope for the future. But to say we have the best QB situation in college football is pretty big stretch.

9 hours ago, McLoofus said:

We haven't always fared well when we've mistaken the uncertain for the certain. Aside from having a returning, healthy, proven stud at QB- and a returning, proven playcaller- we look as good as we could hope for. But that's a massive distinction until it isn't. 

I'm not mistaking uncertain for certain at all. Yes, there is an infinitesimal chance that Stidham might go pro after an outstanding season, and in that case we have a (hopefully) redshirt freshman who has drawn rave reviews along with an injury prone senior who spent two seasons as the starter. I expect Barrett to transfer (I'd rather he get to work and challenge Malik as the future at QB, but I have doubts it will happen at this point), but I don't think Sean would go the grad transfer route if Stidham does blow up and go pro after just one year. So it is likely we will have an experienced signal caller for the next two seasons, after which we'll have not only Willis but also Gatewood and Nix (or whomever we sign in the next two classes).

All of that to say that even in the worst case scenario, we'll have at least one good option behind center, probably two, in 2018, and the presence of two highly recruited prospects behind Willis in 2019. In other words, barring injury, we're just about set at the position for three years. If Stidham does well enough to go pro after one year, the offense will have performed well enough that top prospects will be attracted here no matter who it might be, and if he doesn't, he'll start for two to three years and have Malik as a backup. So regardless of the uncertainty of how, exactly, it might play out, the odds are extremely good that we will be in a great position at QB.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are a lot of things that have to go against us for QB to be in as bad of shape as it was last year. Forgive me if that provides me with a little peace of mind.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

^Definitely hoping Stidham has a good enough year to go pro >:)

And chooses to stay anyways

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 11:59 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I don't think you will ever see Woody taking a snap under center during a real AU game. IMO anyways. 

Wildcat formation?

On 4/27/2017 at 11:59 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Is this a huge change in opinion or am I remembering wrong.  

24 minutes ago, alexava said:

Is this a huge change in opinion or am I remembering wrong.  

imo Woody has not progress very much since high school has all the tools

18 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

imo Woody has not progress very much since high school has all the tools

wasn't that the final consensus on JJ?  So we talking about coaching, or did we just happen to land a lot of outliers (that seemed to have the tools coming out of high school) that are uncoachable at the QB position (Khiel, Kodi, JJ, and Woody)?

2 hours ago, oracle79 said:

wasn't that the final consensus on JJ?  So we talking about coaching, or did we just happen to land a lot of outliers (that seemed to have the tools coming out of high school) that are uncoachable at the QB position (Khiel, Kodi, JJ, and Woody)?

Hope that if it is coaching we have fixed that problem with the hiring of CCL.

On 4/26/2017 at 5:09 PM, oracle79 said:

Why in the hell would he follow a guy that didn't know how to use his skills in the first place?  Masochist?

Yeah let's concentrate on me saying that and just forget the rest of what i said. I was giving hypotheticals, thats all. Or i wouldn't of said he could transfer to bama. All my point was is that he would be a grad transfer and wouldnt be regulated to lower divisions.

On 4/26/2017 at 6:53 PM, AUsince72 said:

I'm wondering what percentage of the snaps did Cam take in 2010 & Nick take in '13?  Barring injury, Stidham needs to take the same % of snaps and AU will be fine.  If he's hurt, I like AU's backups, and I'm excited to see Willis in a couple years but it needs to be JS, JS and more JS this year.

I feel Nick would be a more accurate assessment. Cam didnt come out for the wildcat. We ran the cat in 2010, just with Newton back there taking the snaps, rather than a RB.

Archived