1913-14

the addition of Bell really solidifies our line and makes it a definite strength...

11 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

I would like to know who will be playing the tackle position. 

Me too.I prefer Braden at guard,maybe Ashley can come in and start at one of the tackle spots.

I wish during the A-Day game that we could have had a few series with first team O-Line against first team D-Line then we would have a better gauge about how good the O-Line is.

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I wish during the A-Day game that we could have had a few series with first team O-Line against first team D-Line then we would have a better gauge about how good the O-Line is.

It should always be 1st team vs 1st team in my opinion . No idea why we do the 2s vs 1s . Also I would've liked for WB and Malik to go live .

I liked the Tega-James-Golson-Horton-Smith line-up during ADay (at least I think that's who it was)  

IF Bell, Dunn, and/or Ashley can crack that line-up, that's nothing but gravy for me.

IMHO, if we go with the line up listed above (or Ashley, or whoever else at LT) I want to see them get a lot of reps before we go to Clemson.  That LT spot is the most crucial for JS to have plenty of time to make those passes. And whoever it's gonna be, unless it's James, is going to have a learning curve, and to quote the great theologian Sweet Brown, "Ain't nobody got time for that!"

OLine is my biggest concern on this team.  Speed Rushers caused problems several times last year especially Tamu and Bama.  Doesn't matter who the qb is if they are getting blown up.

45 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Guaranteed highlight reel for the fans...

About time I heard from you friend and very accurate response. A 7-6 score doesn't make for very good press. I hope everything is going well with you bud.

Having the 1s go against the 2s also makes our first team offense and defense look a bit better than they actually are, generating more preseason hype and potentially a higher ranking to start off the season. If we start with a ranking of 5 or start with a ranking of 15 it could possibly make the difference in how we end up.

13 minutes ago, DAG said:

About time I heard from you friend and very accurate response. A 7-6 score doesn't make for very good press. I hope everything is going well with you bud.

So far so good. Thanks for asking :)

Left guard is my concern - pretty specific. 

Fwiw, safety depth - not the O line - is by far my biggest concern on this team at this point.

53 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Fwiw, safety depth - not the O line - is by far my biggest concern on this team at this point.

I keep hearing people talk about this, but we have 4 S on roster now:  Character RS-FR, Thomas SO, Roberts SR, Matthews SR

Granted Roberts is SS, but still.  So how deep do we need to be at S?

32 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

I keep hearing people talk about this, but we have 4 S on roster now:  Character RS-FR, Thomas SO, Roberts SR, Matthews SR

If Character and Thomas were remotely proven quantities, I think people would feel a lot better. You need quantity *and* quality. 

I know this will raise evrryone err, but I do not like the idea of Smith at OG. My memory is just long enough to remember that unmitigated disaster once before.

Leave him at OT, between Horton, Harnell, and Bell there are three good options for OG.

This will also keep you out of the act of utter desperation of starting a true Freshman at OT. 

18 minutes ago, JoeinPF said:

I know this will raise evrryone err, but I do not like the idea of Smith at OG. My memory is just long enough to remember that unmitigated disaster once before.

Leave him at OT, between Horton, Harnell, and Bell there are three good options for OG.

This will also keep you out of the act of utter desperation of starting a true Freshman at OT. 

I'm not sure your memory is serving you too well right now.  Smith was our best lineman. He was a 2nd team All-American, a 1st team all-sec OG, and rated as the SEC's most efficient pass blocker.

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

I'm not sure your memory is serving you too well right now.  Smith was our best lineman. He was a 2nd team All-American, a 1st team all-sec OG, and rated as the SEC's most efficient pass blocker.

a road grader...thats with no one on the sidelines to make adjustments

14 hours ago, bigbird said:

My appoligies for the post of yesterday afternoon. I am very carefull never to drive when I induldge in enjoying my Gin and prescription pain killers, apparently I also need to add posting to that list.

Now back on topic: there has been discussion of moving James inside to OG, Smith outside to OT, or various combinations of these moves. I believe either of these moves would be a mistake.

At OT, we all know there were times James broke down, but many of these breakdowns were due to scheem or unexpected moves by the opposition (see TAM). All of this is correctable! At the end of last year, everyone was raving about Horton. I still maintain starting a true freshman is an act of disperation. Will one day CA surpass Horton? Very likely. But, right now Horton has had YEARS more reps, trainging, and wieght room work. If you don't think birthdays are important, just look at Leff last year.

At OG, Smith is the most dominate returning player we have, why in the name of all that is holy would you change that? Although, my memory is still trying to tell me his first college start was not at his current position, and it was not good. That leaves the LG slot, which everyone admitts is the big question mark. I would feel comfortable with the winner of the Bell/Harrell competition. But, for those of you who demand on doing something crazy, move Golson out to OG. He could still make the OL call from there and he start one year at OG at Ole Miss.

Oh well, just one old man's ranting opinions. 

20 hours ago, lkeel75 said:

"Depth" infers experienced numbers IMO and Character has not played in college. Utility guy Sherwood getting significant Spring reps at safety speaks volumes. Anyway, back to Oline - Herb has a terrific resume of moving guys from their "natural position" and having it work out well so the ballet at left guard will probably get resolved. 

It may be different this year, but our line works much better with Golson at C so that needs to continue to be our anchor point. Tega(?)-James-Golson-Horton-Smith is solid if Tega continues to get better. Physically the guy is gifted but I'm not sure how well he'll fare against speed rushers and that's especially crucial if we want to stretch the field with JS at QB.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Calvin come in and start at LT but I'd prefer him redshirting so they can work on getting his pass protection up to par as well.

As far as depth at Safety - Mathews, Roberts, Ruffin, and Thomas are good but you'd prefer to have 3-deep at each position. Sherwood is not remotely close to seeing the field unless we lose 2 of those guys and a CB or two as well. lol

23 hours ago, lkeel75 said:

We typically play with 3 on the field a majority of the time.  We are losing Matthews, Roberts, and Ruffin this year. That leaves Thomas as the lone safety that has some experience and that is only a handful of plays and he was out of out of position and lost on the majority of those. Character has been mentioned at corner mostly throughout the spring, but could move if needed.  

We have built no depth behind our starters. Typically you would like to have a few underclassmen developing behind the seniors.  The way it is now, we have to have our underclassmen pan out at 100%. Odds are against that from happening.

Plan A - James Golson Dunn Horton Smith

Plan B - Wanogho James Golson Horton Smith

Plan C - Ashley James Golson Horton Smith

FSU transfer Bell I have little faith to become a starter. In his last 2 years at FSU he went from a starter to getting beat out by, true freshman and then by a redshirt freshman. Harrell has a better shot at starting than he does. 

If JSU transfer Dunn works out at center then Golson can play LG, which actually is a better position for him. He can still make the line calls if needed. 

If Dunn does not work out, move James inside he fits inside way better than outside. Roll with Wanogho, what he lacks in knowledge he makes up with size and natural ability. The guy is good. Besides Ashley will be pushing him everyday in practices and going against MD will help tremendously. 

Archived