Will Hastings

GordoAU

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Wes Welker doesn't outweigh him by 30 pounds. Neither does Antonio Brown. Trindon Holliday weighs less. I didn't realize Edelman was as big as he is, though. 

Sorry I meant the current batch of white NE receivers. :laugh:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, AU-24 said:

You never disappoint.

You posting about football on a football board is ALWAYS a disappointment. I guess you wanted me to say he's not athletic and slow because he's white? Then you'd been happy huh?

Bird I promise you've never have or ever will see a post from me mentioning this guy's name. I reply back at times but I NEVER say anything to this dude. So I'm saying it's really not a back and forth from my end. This guy been doing this for quite some time. I just merely defend myself

#Free@aujeff11

Just thought I would throw this out there. 

So realistically, hardly anyone has a problem with WH?

14 hours ago, cole256 said:

It's mainly because of mismatches. You're going to have your best corners on the outside with the best wr's unless the small guy is such a big time player the defense matches him up with their best corner every play....

13 hours ago, AU-24 said:

You never disappoint.

What's disappointing?  He is absolutely right.  The Packers used to do this with Woodson all of the time.  

Him being one of our top targets would mean he knows how to get open. a lot of NFL WR's success comes from running great routes regardless of their athletic ability. Not just the NE WR's. a pocket QBs best friend is a great route runner be it from WR, TE or even RB. Not saying Hastings will be an NFL WR or even our top guy. But if he gets lots of snaps over other highly rated players, it would not surprise me.

I like Hastings and R. Davis. 

Having guys like them in the slot, AND utilizing the TE and RBs in the passing game to go along with "traditional" WRs will really enhance our passing offense, which could likely make the difference in games against the likes of bama, Clemson, and LSU. 

Quan Bray would've excelled with CCL calling the offense IMO. Shoot, Trovon Reed might have stuck around at WR too.

10 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Quan Bray would've excelled with CCL calling the offense IMO. Shoot, Trovon Reed might have stuck around at WR too.

You're gonna make me cry. 

46 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You're gonna make me cry. 

*sigh* what could've been...

Or what *should've* been, really. :angry:

2 hours ago, G8orH8or said:

I hope he's our next Freddie Weygand. 

You mean run in the 4.4 range and jump over a VW bug flat footed?  Me too.

On 4/12/2017 at 0:44 PM, GordoAU said:

What do you guys think of Will Hastings being one of our top targets? He does not seem to be as athletic, fast, or as big as our other receivers. Does him showing up as a top 2 or 3 target say a whole lot about him or more about the receivers around him? Just Curious.

Seems to have good hands. That's pretty important in being a regular receiver. 

The only thing that "should've" been with Trovon is that he should've been moved to CB earlier in his career. He wasn't a WR. Best year at Auburn was on the defensive side of the ball, and he actually made a dent at the next level there. He could've been really good on that side with more time/reps. Now, Quan? Yeah. He should've had a larger role.

I'll push back on cole and bird a bit on the "teams put their best CBs outside" and that's the only reason Hastings is succeeding. First, it's not necessarily true that your best CB sits outside. That's almost always true in a zone, but it's not necessarily true in man coverage. On top of that, for some teams, the Nickel is one of their best coverage players. Woodson, for example, lived at Nickel/Safety late in his career, but he was hell in coverage underneath. Generally, your inside coverage guy lacks some of the top end speed of your boundary/field CBs, but that doesn't mean the guy can't cover. I mean, Tyran Mathieu played a TON of Nickel/Slot coverage at LSU, and he was their best coverage player at the time. He's just not a burner and liked to ad lib. His skill set fit better inside where you're less likely to see go routes and more likely to have Safety help over your head.

Second, I don't think Will Hastings play at Auburn is solely (or even mostly) due to poor coverage by Nickel players and taking advantage of mismatches. Good coverage player or poor, very few players in the SEC have better short shuttle and 10-yard times than Hastings. In other words, he's quick as hell. You can be a great coverage player, and a guy that quick can still create space on certain types of routes if he and the QB are in sync and on time. That is why I think Hastings will start and play a lot this fall. During the A-Day, no WR was communicating with Stidham on the sideline more than Hastings. If they are always on the same page and Hastings keeps showing the ability to snatch the ball in traffic or on the sideline, he's going to play. Big, small, good athlete, bad athlete, I don't care. If Stidham trusts him + he continues to create just enough separation + he continues to catch the ball, he'll play.

Guest WarEagleSteve

I think every good passing offense needs a player in the mold of what Will Hastings appears to be: a lightning quick jitterbug type with soft hands who can consistently get open underneath. Not everyone's going to be the big play superstar guy. However, having a shifty slot receiver who can consistently get open and catch the ball when you need him to on 3rd and 6 or 7 is priceless and WH seems to be very much that dude. I would argue that Auburn hasn't had that kind of player since Darvin Adams. 

2 hours ago, bikeriderga said:

BTW, Kevin Greene and Jason Miska say hello

I'm sure you're talking about the senior walkon 6' 3", 240 lb Kevin Greene that benched over 500 lbs., that ran a 4.5 forty, with a 35" vertical jump, and not the 6' 2", 185 lb freshman walkon/walkoff Kevin Greene right?

http://www.biggerfasterstronger.com/uploads2/85_Sep_KevinGreene.pdf

4 hours ago, oracle79 said:

I'm sure you're talking about the senior walkon 6' 3", 240 lb Kevin Greene that benched over 500 lbs., that ran a 4.5 forty, with a 35" vertical jump, and not the 6' 2", 185 lb freshman walkon/walkoff Kevin Greene right?

http://www.biggerfasterstronger.com/uploads2/85_Sep_KevinGreene.pdf

The former and NFL Hall of famer, not the latter. :) 

9 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

The only thing that "should've" been with Trovon is that he should've been moved to CB earlier in his career. He wasn't a WR. Best year at Auburn was on the defensive side of the ball, and he actually made a dent at the next level there. He could've been really good on that side with more time/reps. Now, Quan? Yeah. He should've had a larger role.

I'll push back on cole and bird a bit on the "teams put their best CBs outside" and that's the only reason Hastings is succeeding. First, it's not necessarily true that your best CB sits outside. That's almost always true in a zone, but it's not necessarily true in man coverage. On top of that, for some teams, the Nickel is one of their best coverage players. Woodson, for example, lived at Nickel/Safety late in his career, but he was hell in coverage underneath. Generally, your inside coverage guy lacks some of the top end speed of your boundary/field CBs, but that doesn't mean the guy can't cover. I mean, Tyran Mathieu played a TON of Nickel/Slot coverage at LSU, and he was their best coverage player at the time. He's just not a burner and liked to ad lib. His skill set fit better inside where you're less likely to see go routes and more likely to have Safety help over your head.

Second, I don't think Will Hastings play at Auburn is solely (or even mostly) due to poor coverage by Nickel players and taking advantage of mismatches. Good coverage player or poor, very few players in the SEC have better short shuttle and 10-yard times than Hastings. In other words, he's quick as hell. You can be a great coverage player, and a guy that quick can still create space on certain types of routes if he and the QB are in sync and on time. That is why I think Hastings will start and play a lot this fall. During the A-Day, no WR was communicating with Stidham on the sideline more than Hastings. If they are always on the same page and Hastings keeps showing the ability to snatch the ball in traffic or on the sideline, he's going to play. Big, small, good athlete, bad athlete, I don't care. If Stidham trusts him + he continues to create just enough separation + he continues to catch the ball, he'll play.

I worked 12 and I have to get up in the morning and work 12th more so I'll come back to this maybe, but I didn't say that's the only reason he has success, but mostly so far it's the reason. It's mismatches, you haven't seen plays with Hastings matched up with the other teams best cover guy, not even the second best guy. 

As far as woodson you're right he played that at the END of his career. Playing nickel corner isn't anything to do with top line speed or lack thereof. It's about if that guy can tackle and shed blocks and play close at the line of scrimmage, which a guy like Mathieu it's a speciality of his. And Mathieu hasn't ever been the best cover guy at lsu on his team. He's been the best play maker for his team. 

Hastings usually not coming in as even the third guy, he was playing when we were doing 4 and 5 wr sets. 

You can put guys any where you want to in zones in man your best wr is usually going to be on the outside and when they are good enough your best corner follows that guy...now you can say you believe and you think all you want but until he does it consistently in a game that's all it is. So far he's made his living off mismatches playing with a qb who wasn't the best at throwing down field. He's been a great safety net and a good target on 3rd and short

I am more concerned with the OL and how they will perform and gell together and just who will start than the WRs. We have plenty of talent at the position. Unproven talent but I am not worried with who we have throwing them the ball. This season being a great one and not just a good one hinges on how the OL does and if the defense can continue to be like how they were last year.

Archived