Al Borges new Offensive Analyst

gr82b4au

Analysts just give suggestions and break down film all day right? They aren't really influencing the offense that much, are they? I've understood it as analysts are an additional set of eyes looking for things to improve/use on our end or to exploit in our opposition. I'm coming from a place of ignorance here so humor me.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Mikey said:

Jayson Campbell was a very top level QB recruit, often mentioned as "The Future" by other players during his redshirt year. Borges did well with him, but it's not hard to do well with a future NFL QB. Me, I have a hard time seeing how Borges's style of coaching will fit in with what Gus & Chip want to do. I like Al as a person but I simply do not see what he brings to the table under the current circumstances. "Too many cooks spoil the stew". The offense during A-day looked fine to me. What needs tweaking? Why tweak before we've even seen what Chip's offense will look like?

Football is football. Al knows offense. He won't be calling plays or running the hunh. He will look at players tendencies, strength, weakness and evaluate and recommend. Come fall we will forget he is there. 

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

Analysts just give suggestions and break down film all day right? They aren't really influencing the offense that much, are they? I've understood it as analysts are an additional set of eyes looking for things to improve/use on our end or to exploit in our opposition. I'm coming from a place of ignorance here so humor me.

So this dog walks into a bar and says, "Where's the guy that shot my paw?"

Sorry. Couldn't help myself. Though probably more ignorant than you, your understanding aligns well with mine. Sort'a like a full-time GA?

5 hours ago, AUinTLoosa said:

So this dog walks into a bar and says, "Where's the guy that shot my paw?"

Sorry. Couldn't help myself. Though probably more ignorant than you, your understanding aligns well with mine. Sort'a like a full-time GA?

lol!

Full time GA is more along the lines I was thinking minus the contact with players. 

7 hours ago, alexava said:

Football is football. Al knows offense. He won't be calling plays or running the hunh. He will look at players tendencies, strength, weakness and evaluate and recommend. Come fall we will forget he is there. 

You're right, and you're wrong.

Yes. Al will be cutting up some defensive tape. He'll give great info about tendencies for opposition & for us.

But there is no way that I'll forget that he's around. When we beat Alabama with throws down the middle of the field. I'll know that the gorgeous one has done his job.

8 hours ago, rtftiger said:

Yes. Al will be cutting up some defensive tape. He'll give great info about tendencies for opposition & for us.

But there is no way that I'll forget that he's around. When we beat Alabama with throws down the middle of the field. I'll know that the gorgeous one has done his job.

Yes he will evaluate defenses. But also our offense. I don't know how much chip will take from him as far as qb development. But with us having a 27 year old wr coach, I feel good with Al in Kodi's ear. The little things most of us don't see like Wrs giving up routes or plays by how they line up or position the eyes before snap. Al has a world of experience. 

18 hours ago, Mikey said:

Jayson Campbell was a very top level QB recruit, often mentioned as "The Future" by other players during his redshirt year. Borges did well with him, but it's not hard to do well with a future NFL QB. Me, I have a hard time seeing how Borges's style of coaching will fit in with what Gus & Chip want to do. I like Al as a person but I simply do not see what he brings to the table under the current circumstances. "Too many cooks spoil the stew". The offense during A-day looked fine to me. What needs tweaking? Why tweak before we've even seen what Chip's offense will look like?

Though I don't exactly disagree with your post, I contend that, similar to JJ, Campbell was an uber talented QB who never mentally/emotionally matured to match what was necessary to be successful in a consistent basis.  However, Borges shows up and had the ability to help JC connect the dots.  

Plus, adding to that, his masterful handling of multiple big time talents in the same position (Caddy & Ronnie), I think Borges' strength in this hire is his ability to connect with these young men and get the most, mentally, out of them.

I've seen many posters here reference the quote "it's not the x's & o's but rather the Jimmy's & the Joe's".... Well Borges is the one I first heard that from back when Tubbs hired him.

Whether Al Borges is a top X's & O's mind can be debated (I'm in the CTT handcuffed him after 2 years camp) but I suspect he was hired to work closely with the players on a more "mentor" level.

Borges has evolved his offensive philosophy with the times. He did a lot of shotgun, 3WR, and 4WR sets in recent years. Perhaps not a Spread/HUNH type of offense, but more no longer a West-Coast offense.

3 hours ago, tigerfangs said:

I love the hire, but my main concern is will he be ready to coach the bowl game with short notice....

Mississippi Gulf Coast JUCO will have an opening before their bowl game?

Let's see....."analyst".....just what does that mean?  I bet it means that he analyzes things....like opponent offenses and tendencies and probably our own offense and tendency.   

As for too many cooks....I guess you can have that if they have different recipes but this hire seems to be the current trend and at least AB has seen his share of college football and I'm more confident in his analytical ability than I would be in most HS coaches we have hired recently for the same job. JMO.  And thus far I have seen nothing to indicate that he will have anything to do with the shape of our offense or with dealing directly with players in any way that might conflict with what Lindsey has planned. 

Al came to AU with his version of the west coast offense which was popular at the time and establish the "gulf coast" offense at AU.  While Campbell turned out to be an NFL QB, his performance at AU prior to AB's arrival did not have him on the fast track to the NFL ...or even a slow track.   Somehow, JC became a very good college QB and ultimately an NFL QB....which did not seem to be happening before AB.  I should note that Campbell was another victim of AU's musical chairs even back then....had a different OC each season.    Turned out that in his one season with Jason AB  was able to put together an offense that showed off his capabilities...or at least stepped them up decidedly and helped get him to the NFL.  Just how I see it anyway and what JC's college stats show. 

Different coaches use their analysts in different ways. If you think Saban had NINE guys in the press box for the 2015 Iron Bowl so they could "analyze", you should probably re-think that. The truth is, the job description is pretty vague, and like most such things, there are those who push the boundaries and those who don't. I'd be surprised if Borges does any "coaching" at all, but I would think his input both before and after games and even scrimmages is highly valued and seriously considered. I am genuinely hopeful that he will be a huge help to Chip Lindsey before, during, and after game days. 

On 4/12/2017 at 8:35 PM, PoetTiger said:

Key thing I read ..."he will work under Chip as an analyst" could he possibly fill Chips shoes if he gets a mid major level offer after one year at AU....

That's what I thought also.  We are ready to "re-load" at OC if/when necessary.

JMO but unless AB has mastered some new offensive schemes in the past year or so,  I'm thinking that as an OC he would be better suited where pro-style is still the flavor of the day.     His OC results have been mixed at three schools after leaving AU.   As an analyst I think he has a lot to offer but sure don't see him as the back-up to Lindsey or a future OC at AU.

As far as talk of Lindsey going to another job....I know these guys jump around a lot, and the way Lindsey has been moving around he should just get a room at the Hilton Gardens for the season until his next job offer.     I hope in this case however that Lindsey has thoughts of being here more than one season...at least I feel he owes that to Gus.

1 hour ago, JMR said:

I am genuinely hopeful that he will be a huge help to Chip Lindsey before, during, and after game days.

Agreed.  I really hope he can improve upon half-time adjustments so our 3rd quarters can actually be productive.

23 minutes ago, AU64 said:

As far as talk of Lindsey going to another job....I know these guys jump around a lot, and the way Lindsey has been moving around he should just get a room at the Hilton Gardens for the season until his next job offer.     I hope in this case however that Lindsey has thoughts of being here more than one season...at least I feel he owes that to Gus

I give Lindsey a lot of credit for taking the job when he had to know he might only be here one year if GM wets the bed again.  That shows me he has a lot of confidence in his ability to be a successful OC here at Auburn.  If he makes it a year, I think he'll be around awhile.

I loved the job CAB did while at Auburn. Between Coach Lindsay & Coach Borges, we have 2 coaches who proven track records with developing QBs that can win against the best teams in the SEC. 2017 should be a fun season with a lot of offensive fire power and some great defensive play to boot!

Adding Al was a master stroke by Gus. With him in the mix we have the master of the Run First HUNH Offense, one of the better practitioners of the West Coast/Pro-Style Offense, and a student of the Air Raid who has combined elements of HUNH all sitting down and planning how to confuse the heck out of our next opponent. Plus, all of the above have experience with an undefeated season at Auburn and what it takes to get there. 

Lindsay should be stoked, as he should be one of the most well rounded OCs in the country after spending enough time with these two. It should also help us to be more of a chameleon throughout the season by peppering in bits and pieces of each style when it is called for. Who knows... Al might even be able to help Gus fix some of his plays that take two long to develop by mixing in some of his classic pre-snap movement. 

Re: CCL coming to Auburn, he would've been crazy not to, even with Gus's possibly tenuous job security. We're a couple minor questions at OL and TE away from being as set on offense as he could dream of being when walking into a job, and he's going back to work for a guy he knows and trusts at one of the most high profile programs in the country. He already knows his *backup* QB is a better-than-average SEC starter. His RB1 was the SEC's leading rusher last year while missing a quarter of the season, and we're pretty deep behind him. His center is, at worst, highly experienced and serviceable. Braden Smith might be the best guard in the conference. KJ is coming into his 3rd year as a key component of the offense and he can do anything you ask of him. (Other than plow through a linebacker a la Pettway.) An embarrassment of riches at WR *even if KD doesn't make it back*. Chandler Cox entering his 3rd year as a starter. Actually, lots of guys going into at least their 3rd season of meaningful contribution. 

If Canella is the weapon that we heard he is, if Harris can raise his level, if we can fill in around and behind Golson and Smith with adequate talent... I guess we need to hope for Cox to stay healthy... I mean, can you really hope for a better roster out of the box if you're an OC looking to move forward with your career? Yes, the dookie can hit the fan at Auburn at any time, but he wasn't going to get many opportunities at a toy chest like this one. 

I like the hire of Al as an offensive analyst and what he potentially brings to Auburn.  The key word being potentially; The optimism I posses is tempered with the recent history of Gus' stubbornness with regard to "his" offense.  I do believe Gus has moved past this stubbornness and is ready to evolve his coaching.  This year will be the proof in the pudding, so to speak.  It could be a very good year, what will convince me is how the offensive brain trust handles critical situations.  This should happen by the 2nd game of the year.  

55 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Adding Al was a master stroke by Gus. With him in the mix we have the master of the Run First HUNH Offense, one of the better practitioners of the West Coast/Pro-Style Offense, and a student of the Air Raid who has combined elements of HUNH all sitting down and planning how to confuse the heck out of our next opponent. Plus, all of the above have experience with an undefeated season at Auburn and what it takes to get there. 

Lindsay should be stoked, as he should be one of the most well rounded OCs in the country after spending enough time with these two. It should also help us to be more of a chameleon throughout the season by peppering in bits and pieces of each style when it is called for. Who knows... Al might even be able to help Gus fix some of his plays that take two long to develop by mixing in some of his classic pre-snap movement. 

6 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I just hope Lindsey has the maturity and self-confidence to accept Borges input.  I agree with you, he should be stoked about it.  What a great opportunity for him!

8 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

I like the hire of Al as an offensive analyst and what he potentially brings to Auburn.  The key word being potentially; The optimism I posses is tempered with the recent history of Gus' stubbornness with regard to "his" offense.  I do believe Gus has moved past this stubbornness and is ready to evolve his coaching.  This year will be the proof in the pudding, so to speak.  It could be a very good year, what will convince me is how the offensive brain trust handles critical situations.  This should happen by the 2nd game of the year.  

I hope he has.....moved past stubbornness

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

I just hope Lindsey has the maturity and self-confidence to accept Borges input.  I agree with you, he should be stoked about it.  What a great opportunity for him!

He does its Gus I would worry about

On 4/14/2017 at 10:56 PM, rtftiger said:

That was Petrino. 

Archived