Al Borges new Offensive Analyst

gr82b4au

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For as critical as we all were (myself included) of him at some point or another, we had one heckuva run with him as OC. Great to have him back!

38 minutes ago, JMR said:

You never know, of course, but I don't think Chip is going anywhere any time soon. And if he does, no, probably not. Like most business things these days, it's an accepted "fact" that old, experienced guy's know nothing, and all the really smart guys are young and on the cutting edge. Right or wrong, that's how it is. 

How old is Big Al as it relates to Kevin Steele or Greg Brown? His age will not be a factor, I just don't this his overall philosophy will work with what Gus may want in his offense....but stranger things have happened..especially in Auburn. This hire of Borges proves that, because I don't think anyone saw this coming.

9 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

How old is Big Al as it relates to Kevin Steele or Greg Brown? His age will not be a factor, I just don't this his overall philosophy will work with what Gus may want in his offense....but stranger things have happened..especially in Auburn. This hire of Borges proves that, because I don't think anyone saw this coming.

You could certainly be right, but I just don't see Al replacing Chip down the road. The game is constantly changing, and as one gets older, what we "believe in" may not be as legit as it once was. There is, of course, the occasional exception where experience is valued over youth, but offensive football is rarely one of those. Bottom line, I don't think Al is in line for a big time OC job at this point in his career. But that's just an unfounded opinion, and for his sake, I hope it's wrong. 

My take on the analyst position:

Can communicate with coaches, but not with players. Correct?

Are there limitations to communication with coaches in-game as opposed to during week?

I was at AU when he was OC. It was a fun time. He would always be at the baseball games in a floral shirt eating a hot dog. Just seemed like he enjoyed the community. War Eagle Gorgeous Borges!

7 minutes ago, JMR said:

You could certainly be right, but I just don't see Al replacing Chip down the road. The game is constantly changing, and as one gets older, what we "believe in" may not be as legit as it once was. There is, of course, the occasional exception where experience is valued over youth, but offensive football is rarely one of those. Bottom line, I don't think Al is in line for a big time OC job at this point in his career. But that's just an unfounded opinion, and for his sake, I hope it's wrong. 

I agree and I don't think he wants one either....he may just settle down in AU and head into retirement at some point..

I'm getting more and more unhappy....

I was all prepared to just write off the 2017 season as just let Gus screw the pooch and maybe AU will hire a "good" coach to replace him.

....then, DANG IT!  GOOD THINGS just keep happening!  Nice recruiting class, nice OC swap, Stidham looks like the 2nd coming of #7 at A-Day and now THIS?!?!

Can't a fan just be left to doom and gloom in peace?!?!

:beer2:

Hi all,

i rarely post, but after read this I felt I must. I swear I remember people discussing bringing Al back to AU. I believe AU's staff reads what is discussed on this board and others.

There are a lot of negative nancy's out there. IGNORE them. Gus is going prove them all wrong. 

Welcome back Coach Borges!!!

This has to be one of the most universally accepted hires I've seen on this board in a long time. It's good to see us all agree on something. Well, there is officially no reason to have poor QB play. We got a lot of QB coaching talent on this coaching staff, now. It looks as if Gus is finally starting to get it. 

11 hours ago, JMR said:

There's always enough time to re-evaluate your ideology, if not totally reinvent yourself if you're hungry enough.  Creativity is not purely a youthful trait, it's a state of mind.  As long as you have a desire to innovate you have a shot at remaining relevant. *Getting off my Creative Director's soapbox now.

Loving all of this :jossun:.  I might need to put on sunscreen when I view this thread...:wareagle:

13 hours ago, JMR said:

You never know, of course, but I don't think Chip is going anywhere any time soon. And if he does, no, probably not. Like most business things these days, it's an accepted "fact" that old, experienced guy's know nothing, and all the really smart guys are young and on the cutting edge. Right or wrong, that's how it is. 

The reality in business is the young guys are cheaper not better. Most IT companies keep 1 or 2 of us old Dinosaurs around for when it really hits the fan.  Getting back to Big Al. A great hire. He will be a true asset to what already appears to be a great offense.

Archived