Al Borges new Offensive Analyst

gr82b4au

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, DivisionN said:

I do not feel good about this hire, especially with a green offensive coordinator. Will Chip be looking over his shoulder? 

No. And chip isn't a green OC. New at AU but isn't green. 

Seems like Saban has a dozen of these types of analysts helping his team every year and it's no big deal.  I feel like we're making a bigger deal out of it than it really is.

48 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Seems like Saban has a dozen of these types of analysts helping his team every year and it's no big deal.  I feel like we're making a bigger deal out of it than it really is.

Saban's had 'em for years.  To be frankly honest, I'm glad someone at Auburn has decided to copy what uat is doing relative to having staff on hand to better prepare our players and game plan for the opponent.  

At times, I've felt like Gus was deficient in game planning for his opponent - he creates a game plan each week for his offense and doesn't prepare for the team he faces.  It's like we've played checkers and the opponent is playing chess, and we just get out schemed with a coach that can't make adjustments during the game, on the field.

Bravo for hiring guys that do nothing but sit back and analyze opponents, find their tendencies and relay that info to the HC & Coordinators!  Welcome back Al!

One thing Coach Borges is good at is getting multiple good players, especially 2 RBs on the field at the same time and using that to his advantage. 

On 4/18/2017 at 8:07 AM, AUDevil said:

He has and as @keesler pointed out, he was way ahead of the curve with it. Probably why they are always dominating and never accept just good enough. Keen to detail and I respect it.

• 2 weeks later...

Borges will help Porter with TEs & HBs

Now we know what Al Borges will do for Auburn.

LA GRANGE, Georgia — Al Borges is back on the Plains serving as an offensive analyst for Auburn, and now his role with the team is clear.

Borges, who served as offensive coordinator under Tommy Tuberville in the mid-2000s, will help with Auburn's tight ends and H-Backs under position coach Larry Porter, offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey revealed Tuesday before a speaking engagement at the West Georgia Auburn Club.

“You know what, I met Al when I was a high school coach in this state, so I’ve known him for a long time, and I know he’s excited to be back in Auburn," Lindsey said. "He’ll be—I think he’s really working with Larry and the tight ends and three-backs, but another good guy along with (former Opelika High coach) Brian Blackmon, who’s phenomenal; we love him, and (Eric) Munoz is our other analyst.”

Borges, who was hired at Auburn in April, had recently coached at San Jose State and Michigan. His San Jose State offense went against Auburn in 2015 at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Borges was Auburn’s offensive coordinator from 2004 through 2007, when he resigned as the offense struggled to score points for the Tigers. Auburn was 41-9 during his tenure as coordinator, including four victories in the Iron Bowl. He coached Jason Campbell during his stellar career at quarterback. His 2004 offense scored 34 points or more in six SEC games.

Borges interviewed for the offensive coordinator position at Notre Dame in December 2016.

Archived