Softball vs. Georgia State

Cooper singles under the glove of the 2nd baseman and into center.   Runners on 1st and 2nd for Haley Fagan.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fagan draws a walk and the bases are loaded for Rivera.  Pitching change for georgia state.    A home run from Rivera here ends the game.

Not going to be easy. Martin walked the first batter, then gave up a single, and then hit the next batter. She's gotten out of a bases loaded, no out jam before. 

A 4-3 FC gets a run in then Veach throws behind the runner at 2nd to get another out. 

6-3 AU runner at 3rd 2 out. 

A 4-3 ends it.

EDIT: Man this post was badly wrong. I don't know where my brain went when typing that...

Ground ball to the right side, McCrackin fields and only play is at 1st.  Veach then throws to Fagan covering 2nd and they get the runner off the base.  2 outs.   Runner at 3rd.   Auburn leads 6-3..  Ground ball to 2nd and throw in time.   FINAL.  Auburn wins 6-3.   WAR EAGLE!!!

I hadn't troubled to scout this team, but they are 11-4 in their conference and own wins over Miss. St and Illinois, whom they run-ruled.  Also swept South Alabama, who played in our Super Regional a couple of years ago.  So they're a decent team, and played like it.  As for Auburn, Ms. Rivera is the real deal, but we don't have the real McKayla Martin back yet.  And the saga continues at second.  On the happy side, loved seeing two freshmen generate the first run.

11 hours ago, Jgarrett7 said:

Which is it 6-4 or 6-3?

Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking. Fixed my post. Basically it was wrong in a lot of ways.

13 hours ago, jared52 said:

A 4-3 FC gets a run in then Veach throws behind the runner at 2nd to get another out. 

6-3 AU runner at 3rd 2 out. 

A 4-3 ends it.

EDIT: Man this post was badly wrong. I don't know where my brain went when typing that...

Brain fart

15 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

I hadn't troubled to scout this team, but they are 11-4 in their conference and own wins over Miss. St and Illinois, whom they run-ruled.  Also swept South Alabama, who played in our Super Regional a couple of years ago.  So they're a decent team, and played like it.  As for Auburn, Ms. Rivera is the real deal, but we don't have the real McKayla Martin back yet.  And the saga continues at second.  On the happy side, loved seeing two freshmen generate the first run.

She's struggling right now. I said this elsewhere. She doesn't seem have multiple pitches she has confidence in, and she doesn't seem to be mixing speeds very well. A lot of the balls being put in play are being squared up pretty well, and she's just not a good matchup against slippers right now. She doesn't have an out pitch right now to induce some swings and misses. I get that they want Makayla to pitch to contact, but when she's getting ahead, she starts nibbling at the corners, gets even or behind in counts, and then has to throw a hittable pitch. Not having Corey might really be hurting Makayla and her ability to make adjustments. 

8 hours ago, boomstick said:

She's struggling right now. I said this elsewhere. She doesn't seem have multiple pitches she has confidence in, and she doesn't seem to be mixing speeds very well. A lot of the balls being put in play are being squared up pretty well, and she's just not a good matchup against slippers right now. She doesn't have an out pitch right now to induce some swings and misses. I get that they want Makayla to pitch to contact, but when she's getting ahead, she starts nibbling at the corners, gets even or behind in counts, and then has to throw a hittable pitch. Not having Corey might really be hurting Makayla and her ability to make adjustments. 

I agree with how she is struggling, but these struggles began when SEC play started against LSU and Florida, not just since he resigned. "Pre-season Makayla" would've shut Ga State out like she did a very good BYU team, etc. 

Makayla looked dominant at times last year, but also had her struggles as a freshman. However, we don't have lefty Rachael Walters to relieve when she struggles, and we have to keep Kaylee fresh for her Friday/Sunday starts. 

10 hours ago, all4AU said:

I agree with how she is struggling, but these struggles began when SEC play started against LSU and Florida, not just since he resigned. "Pre-season Makayla" would've shut Ga State out like she did a very good BYU team, etc. 

Makayla looked dominant at times last year, but also had her struggles as a freshman. However, we don't have lefty Rachael Walters to relieve when she struggles, and we have to keep Kaylee fresh for her Friday/Sunday starts. 

You're right. I was just pointing out that not having her pitching coach now is probably going to make it even harder for her to adjust. She was already struggling and hasn't seemed to make adjustments. If Corey were here, I feel like there's a better chance of her working out of this funk quicker than without him. Hopefully, she finds her groove soon because this team needs her of they want to reach similar heights of the last two seasons. IMO we can't do it all on Carlson's arm with the way we approach pitching and defense. 

Agree with both of you.  We don't have Walters, but we do have Abbott, and Coach said the plan all along was for her to return to pitching.  I think if she were that good a pitcher, we would have seen more of her already, but she has been effective in her rare outings this year, and maybe she offers viable support.  Abbott could actually start a game, give way to Martin at an appropriate time, stay in the lineup as DP, and return to the circle if Martin got in trouble.  I think that's legal, or does Abbott have to actually play a position?  That would give the other team changing looks, at least.  

Martin seems to me...has a problem handing adversity.....she's can be hit by opponents but mostly balls on the ground as coaches are asking....but an error or two or a miss played ball seems to shake her up.....and maybe it's runners on base that bother her.   Could be that trying to protect against steals affects her.

Whatever it is....sure would be nice to have at least one solid #2 so that we could offer some variation from game #1 to game @ and then #3.

Archived