Gus Critical of proposed rule

WFE12

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn told ESPN on Wednesday that it would be a huge mistake for the NCAA to pass a proposed rule restricting colleges from hiring high school coaches in non-field roles.

"What you're going to do is hurt every high school coach who has a dream of coaching college football, and I don't think that's fair," said Malzahn, whose route to college football was by way of the high school ranks.

The proposed rule, bylaw 11.4, prohibits a college program from hiring a high school coach for a non-field or support role if it had recruited a player from that coach's high school in the previous two years. The program also would be prohibited from recruiting players from that high school for two years after hiring the coach.

As an example, if Auburn were to hire a high school coach as a quality control assistant on Malzahn's staff, the Tigers couldn't recruit a prospect from that coach's former high school for two years.

The rule proposal is part of a recruiting reform package that the NCAA's Division I Council is considering this week.

"They're wanting to copy the basketball rule and keep schools from hiring high school coaches just to get one of their top players to follow, and I understand that's going to happen at some places, but the bigger issue if this rule passes is that high school coaches' availability to go to college is done," said Malzahn, who's entering his fifth season at Auburn. "For me, it's a way to give talented high school coaches a chance to get into college football. We've had great success with that during my time here at Auburn."

The rule would not affect high school coaches hired into one of the nine on-field coaching positions; it is rare for a coach to go directly from high school to being a position coach on an FBS staff.

Malzahn, however, did transition from a highly successful career as a high school coach in Arkansas to the offensive coordinator under Houston Nutt at University of Arkansas staff in 2006.

"In my case, it wouldn't have applied, but just from my experience here at Auburn, it's going to be a huge blow to high school coaches," Malzahn said.

Since taking the Auburn job in 2013, Malzahn pointed out that eight of the high school coaches he's hired into non-field roles have all gone on to bigger jobs, including seven currently coaching on FBS staffs. Among them: Chip Lindsey (Auburn offensive coordinator), Eli Drinkwitz (North Carolina State offensive coordinator), Travis Williams (Auburn running backs coach), Dell McGee (Georgia running backs coach) and Bobby Bentley (South Carolina running backs coach).

"Of those guys we hired from high school, I did not sign one of their players here at Auburn," Malzahn said. "Those coaches are all doing very well now at other schools, and if you look at Chad Morris, Hugh Freeze, Todd Graham, myself -- the high school coaches who went on to college football -- I don't think you're going to see those guys getting those chances any more if we pass this rule."

In other Auburn news, Malzahn told ESPN that he's hired former Tigers offensive coordinator Al Borges as an offensive analyst who will work under Lindsey. Borges, the offensive coordinator on Auburn's unbeaten 2004 team, was most recently at San Diego State as offensive coordinator. He also was Michigan's offensive coordinator from 2011 to '13.

Article by Chris Low Espn.com

"What you're going to do is hurt every high school coach who has a dream of coaching college football, and I don't think that's fair," said Malzahn, whose route to college football was by way of the high school ranks" 

Malzahn, however, did transition from a highly successful career as a high school coach in Arkansas to the offensive coordinator under Houston Nutt at University of Arkansas staff in 2006.

"In my case, it wouldn't have applied, but just from my experience here at Auburn, it's going to be a huge blow to high school coaches," Malzahn said.

Since taking the Auburn job in 2013, Malzahn pointed out that eight of the high school coaches he's hired into non-field roles have all gone on to bigger jobs, including seven currently coaching on FBS staffs. Among them: Chip Lindsey (Auburn offensive coordinator), Eli Drinkwitz (North Carolina State offensive coordinator), Travis Williams (Auburn running backs coach), Dell McGee (Georgia running backs coach) and Bobby Bentley (South Carolina running backs coach).

"Of those guys we hired from high school, I did not sign one of their players here at Auburn," Malzahn said

Is it just me or does his argument not make any sense...1. Yes the rule would have applied to him because his players went with him and 2. If Gus didn't recruit players of coaches he hired(Bentley to name one) then the new rule doesn't hurt the coaches he's hired. And doesn't hinder all high school coaches, just ones with kids recruited in the past two years. I support Gus. But it's not a strong argument

IDK. Whatevs Gus. Heats getting to him

1)Gus became OC so it would not have mattered. It's only off field positions. 

2) good highschool coaches have good players, a team might skip on hiring said coach, so they don't miss the chance at said players for the next two years. 

All I know is CGM benefited from coaching at Springdale prior to becoming Arkansas OC , just as much as , the players he bought along with him. That was some of the best talent Arkansas ever had to not pan out . 

I can understand the non-field role though. It make sense in principle.

Houston Nutt hired Gus to get the Springdale five, there is no valid argument against it...in those days the analyst position hadn't been created.  In that case, because Nutt wasn't really wanting Gus to actually coach, the fallout was disastrous and almost all of the players and coach moved on.  The primary evidence against the rule is the "foot in the door" that it has given so many high school coaches, which is undeniable.

Read this again: "The proposed rule, bylaw 11.4, prohibits a college program from hiring a high school coach for a non-field or support role if it had recruited a player from that coach's high school in the previous two years. The program also would be prohibited from recruiting players from that high school for two years after hiring the coach."

That means if a program really wants a HS coach to join its staff in a non-field position, it will have to shut down its recruiting at that school for FOUR years. Considering you want successful coaches on your staff, and said coaches usually have good to great players, FOUR years of possible recruits down the drain for one HS coach is not even remotely close to a fair payoff.

This rule is absolute BS.

10 minutes ago, Linayus said:

Read this again: "The proposed rule, bylaw 11.4, prohibits a college program from hiring a high school coach for a non-field or support role if it had recruited a player from that coach's high school in the previous two years. The program also would be prohibited from recruiting players from that high school for two years after hiring the coach."

That means if a program really wants a HS coach to join its staff in a non-field position, it will have to shut down its recruiting at that school for FOUR years. Considering you want successful coaches on your staff, and said coaches usually have good to great players, FOUR years of possible recruits down the drain for one HS coach is not even remotely close to a fair payoff.

This rule is absolute BS.

That's the whole point of the rule . To stop people from hiring coaches in off field roles  just to get into their recruiting pipeline 

Off field/analyst positions are how coaches can grow vertically. Its the gateway to the college game for established coaches.  While there are good coaches at bad programs, they typically don't get noticed until they have the athletes and resources of more succesful/established programs. The rule is a joke

17 minutes ago, DAG said:

That's the whole point of the rule . To stop people from hiring coaches in off field roles  just to get into their recruiting pipeline 

I'm fine with two years - but it needs to be either before the hire or after the hire, not both. Four years, as we all know, can see a ton of coaching/personnel changes that could completely derail the hopes of that HS coach trying to get into the college ranks. So then you are hurting that coach, the program that was looking to hire him, and the recruits that were hoping to play for that program as well but were shunned because of this rule.

15 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Off field/analyst positions are how coaches can grow vertically. Its the gateway to the college game for established coaches.  While there are good coaches at bad programs, they typically don't get noticed until they have the athletes and resources of more succesful/established programs. The rule is a joke

Maybe so , but it has been exploited like crazy . I don't care either way . I am just saying I understand the principle . What I don't want to see is fan bases complaining about other schools, who have perfect d this method (cough, cough Bama).

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Maybe so , but it has been exploited like crazy . I don't care either way . I am just saying I understand the principle . What I don't want to see is fan bases complaining about other schools, who have perfect d this method (cough, cough Bama).

Exploitation and college football go hand in hand.  

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Don't you mean (cough, cough Ole Miss)?  Bama doesn't hire high school coaches... they upgrade their facilities.

This is just another example of a governing body not wanting to put in the effort to police their members, so they create an overreaching rule to make it so they don't have to watch for abuse.

22 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Exploitation and college football go hand in hand.  

You are exactly right my friend .

On 4/13/2017 at 2:02 PM, milehighfan said:

Don't think for a moment if it does pass Saban won't find a way around it.

I agree 100% with Gus and I'd think Saban would also.  This is the NCAA being lazy, plain and simple.  This rule has far reaching implications for high schools programs, HS coaches, current and future HS athletes, and every college program as well.  

Just another example of the NCAA choosing the wrong battles to fight. Jeremy Pruitt is one of the fastest rising coaches in recent history. If this rule were in effect, he's still coaching high school ball, and he's easily one of the best defensive minds in football today. 

Dumb rule.

If this is out of control address the issue:  if you hire them, they have to be in a role for 2 yrs minimum.  You can only employ  3 ( or "x" ) at a time.   That is a better way to control things.   Don't disallow a HS coach from exploring college football.  

Will they also make a rule that says a school is not allowed to make improvements to the high school football facilities of a top recruit ? Just wondering.... 

I am with Gus on this one to try and stop one issue we penalize all the HS coaches who might have a chance to get into College football. Look at Gus's examples of the ones he hired who did not bring kids in. The difference in football and basketball it might be worth bring a franchise player in so you bring the coach to get him. In basketball one player can change a program.  If I bring in the best QB in the land but I don't have a defense and I have a weak O-Line he won't change the program that much.

While there might be a few programs that have hired a coach to get one player how prevalent is it really. I can't see penalizing all those coaches who start in HS to get experience and then want to move up to college to fix a minor issue. When you have programs that are supplying kids with suits, cars, etc. deal with that before you do something that won't really change anything but hurt hard working HS coaches.

Archived