Gus Critical of proposed rule

WFE12

Most important thing I've read from the above thread is "The good players come from under the good coaches". So- probably just closed the door, like 'yal said, for coaches to move up to the collegiate level. Talk about working yourself out of a job.

24 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Seems this rule just passed. 

So mining for transfers from San Jose State is out of the question?

I'd be interested to see if this ends in a law suit. Blocking employment could easily be determined to be illegal, especially with the 4 year window they created.

Does this rule apply to basketball as well as football?

HS basketball recruiting is so damn dirty/shady it'll make your stomach turn.

I understand the intent of the rule. It is to avoid a "package deal", with an assumed Quid Pro Quo, in which the HS coach encourages the prize recruit to go to College A, and in return, the HS coach gets a job a College A. The extended period is intended to prevent deferring the hire. As for restricting recruiting of athletes from the same school, it makes little sense. I could see a restriction on the hired coach from contact with his former HS athletes, because he in essence had unlimited contact the year prior, but limiting the entire university from recruiting at the HS seems extreme.

That said, hiring the HS coach removes a potential ally in future recruiting from the same HS, so it also seems self-defeating. So is the current system self-policing?

Also, if they only restricted it to the current recruiting year, would there really be a quid-pro-quo with a one year deferral of the hiring of a HS coach? A million things can change in a year, so I think not.

But with large high schools, chances are there is a player being recruited every year. So even a current recruiting year hiring restriction would become a permanent ban for coaches from large high schools. So I do not know if it is possible to eliminate the prospect of a "package deal" quid-pro-quo from a large school without what would amount to a complete hiring ban.

To me, a more reasonable rule would be restricting the hired coach from recruiting at his old high school for two years.

37 minutes ago, keesler said:

Does this rule apply to basketball as well as football?

HS basketball recruiting is so damn dirty/shady it'll make your stomach turn.

Yes

"They're wanting to copy the basketball rule and keep schools from hiring high school coaches just to get one of their top players to follow, and I understand that's going to happen at some places,..." [from the OP]

I don't like this rule at all, and I hate that it is retroactive.  I don't know details and don't care to look into other programs recruiting activities, but was the practice being abused so badly that the NCAA had to implement such a rigid and far reaching rule to curb things?

The current rule just seems excessive.

Does the rule apply to any school that recruited a player or can a coach go work for a school that didn't SIGN any of his players?  That should be the stipulation if it isn't. That would open most schools for available jobs, though the 4 year limit should be 1 or 2...

Sounds like Gus is against this rule because he won't be able to hire anymore high school coaches from Arkansas.

Archived