Baseball vs. Tennessee - game 1

Well if gets that K against a left handed batter who was really over matched in that at bat.

2 outs  and Todd makes a nice running catch in center to hold the lead

AU wins the opener 3-2....

7 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Well if gets that K against a left handed batter who was really over matched in that at bat.

2 outs  and Todd makes a nice running catch in center to hold the lead

Thanks 64. net down until just now.

13 minutes ago, wareagle13 said:

Love the grit, CL has gotta develop another pitch to complement that slider if he wants to ascend beyond 1 inning at a time work.

yep....the second time round is tough for him....just not enough fast ball for this league.JMO

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

That was a huge strikeout for Mitchell.  Glad Butch went to the lefty on lefty advantage (he hasn't always gone that route), not sure he had any other option.  And that batter (Derkay) is a kid I coached for a couple of years...he is absolutely shredding it at the plate, and just a freshman.  

It's frustrating that we don't play lights out against teams you might think they should easily put away.  These guys do seem to have a knack for finding a way to eek out a win most of the time.  Eleven wins by one run, the last six in a row.  I'll gladly take it after the last dozen years of figuring out a way to lose.

1 hour ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

That was a huge strikeout for Mitchell.  Glad Butch went to the lefty on lefty advantage (he hasn't always gone that route), not sure he had any other option.  And that batter (Derkay) is a kid I coached for a couple of years...he is absolutely shredding it at the plate, and just a freshman.  

It's frustrating that we don't play lights out against teams you might think they should easily put away.  These guys do seem to have a knack for finding a way to eek out a win most of the time.  Eleven wins by one run, the last six in a row.  I'll gladly take it after the last dozen years of figuring out a way to lose.

I thought everybody seemed a little subdued tonight. The grind of SEC play and traveling can't be easy. Maybe the win will rejuvenate them. 

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Probably wouldn't have been a squeaker if we hadn't tried and failed on that bunt attempt in the 1st inning. Could have had a six-run inning to start the game but no.... Had to do the silly bunt thing and kill the possibility of a big inning.  :)

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

Probably wouldn't have been a squeaker if we hadn't tried and failed on that bunt attempt in the 1st inning. Could have had a six-run inning to start the game but no.... Had to do the silly bunt thing and kill the possibility of a big inning.  :)

"Kill a big inning"....Man that was a "big inning for AU"...scored one run.....

But, glad I missed the first couple innings or I would have probably had another hard drive crash caused when I tossed my computer.....can't anyone teach these guys how to get a simple bunt down....but meanwhile,  are you sure the guy would not have hit into a double play or something?   We are very good at that...

PS...I noted in the recap a couple minutes ago that AU had 16 fly ball outs....knew it was a lot of them....but that's pretty weak....sure helped the UT pitcher that everyone seemed to be going for the fences.

12 hours ago, AU64 said:

yep....the second time round is tough for him....just not enough fast ball for this league.JMO

If I remember right, when he was one of the best starters in the league two years ago, he had a dirty changeup to go with the fastball and slider. I don't recall seeing that change much this year. I wonder why that is. I do agree his fastball is more of a setup pitch for his slider, and in the 9th, he lost his control and had to throw that fastball when he didn't really want to. 

Lipscomb seems more of a long reliever or set up man. I don't think he's a closer. I guess he's our best option for that role though

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

"Kill a big inning"....Man that was a "big inning for AU"...scored one run.....

But, glad I missed the first couple innings or I would have probably had another hard drive crash caused when I tossed my computer.....can't anyone teach these guys how to get a simple bunt down....but meanwhile, are you sure the guy would not have hit into a double play or something?   We are very good at that...

No worries about a DP, at least the traditional kind. The leadoff batter hit a DOUBLE. He was already in scoring position at 2B when the call for a bunt/blunder was made.

Archived