2018 3* WR Shedrick Jackson Commits to Auburn!!!

GwillMac6

Update 6/26/17: Committed to AU!!!

photo of Shedrick Jackson
Shedrick Jackson, WR
Birmingham, AL (Hoover)
Ht 6-2 | Wt 200 | 40: 4.55

• 247 Sports | RivalsScout | ESPN
  • Offers: Auburn, Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Georgia Tech, Illinois, Jacksonville State, Liberty, Memphis, Mississippi State, Missouri and Troy, among others.
  • Nephew of Bo Jackson
  • Grew up an  Auburn fan
  • Caught more than 60 passes and has more than 1,000 receiving yards as a sophomore and junior at Hoover. He caught 43 passes for 661 yards and three touchdowns last season and had four receptions for the Bucs in the AHSAA Class 7A state championship win over McGill-Toolen.

Shedrick Jackson is among the more complete wide receiver prospects in the South. He is well put together at about 6-2, 200 pounds, with long arms and broad shoulders. When coupled with his strong hands, he becomes a weapon even without separation from a defender. Jackson has also improved his speed as much as any prospect in the state of Alabama over the last year or so, even clocking sub 4.4 seconds in the 40-yard dash in 2017. He not only runs well, but runs efficiently, with minimal wasted movement while getting to top speed quickly. He has room to refine his short to intermediate route-running, with more precise cuts while breaking the leverage of the defender. Jackson, who is more of a deep threat than a run-after-catch threat, can use his size and strength to play more elusive in space. -- John Garcia, Jr.

http://www.scout.com/player/208606-shedrick-jackson/analysis?year=2017

• Like 2

9 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

This is 1 legacy I am glad we are taking care

Taking care of would mean the offer is commitable. Not sure that it is yet.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Taking care of would mean the offer is commitable. Not sure that it is yet.

I have never truly understood this whole noncommitable offer thing.  Doesn't that pretty much amount to no offer at all?

11 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

I have never truly understood this whole noncommitable offer thing.  Doesn't that pretty much amount to no offer at all?

No, it just puts stipulations on it. For example test scores, weight, gpa. Sometimes it is used as an incentive to see if the player will work for it; other times it is used to get the player eligible

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, bigbird said:

No, it just puts stipulations on it. For example test scores, weight, gpa. Sometimes it is used as an incentive to see if the player will work for it; other times it is used to get the player eligible

All this plus another used frequently is coming to a Summer camp & performing well.

• Like 1

I read some good stuff on Shedrick on Al.com. I hope he ends up an Auburn Tiger. I believe coach Garner is recruiting him.

Edited by auburn4ever

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I think it's a legit offer. Big and fast athlete who can play multiple positions. 

So it said in the article he is a WR.  What other positions does he play? Does he possibly play safety?

SECCountry interview

HOOVER, Ala. — When Shedrick Jackson picked up his phone last week, he had two important callers on the other line: Gus Malzahn and Chip Lindsey.

Jackson had already picked up an offer earlier in the day from Georgia Tech, which became his second Power 5 offer along with Mississippi State. The 6-foot-2, 200-pound receiver’s day wasn’t over yet, however. He still had a meaningful offer hanging in the balance.

Malzahn passed along the message.

“Coach Lindsey talked to me first. Then, Coach Malzahn came on the phone and told me he was going to offer,” Jackson said. “It’s pretty special, of course. I just haven’t been trying to think about it too much. I’ve just been coming here and working every day. I wasn’t focusing too much on getting offers and all that stuff. I think it was really exciting, of course, just like any other offer.  It just makes me want to work even harder.”

Due to his family ties, Jackson grew up an Auburn fan.

Auburn recruiting-Shedrick Jackson
3-star WR Shedrick Jackson is the nephew of Auburn legend Bo Jackson. (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

His uncle, Bo Jackson, after all, is the Auburn legend. Jackson remembers going to his first game in Jordan-Hare Stadium as a fifth-grader. He walked into his SEC Country interview sporting an Auburn backpack. Throughout his recruiting process, Auburn has received the most visits, which is a combination of his interest in the school and its proximity to Hoover High.

So, that leads to the obvious end game, right, that he’ll be an Auburn Tiger?

Not so fast.

“People think that if I got an Auburn offer, which I have, that it’s 100 percent that I’m going there. In my mind, that’s not really what I’m thinking,” Jackson said. “I’m picking the school that has the most to offer for me and my future.”

That’s not to say he doesn’t have love for the Tigers. He absolutely does.

It just means he is staying patient. He holds offers from Auburn, Mississippi State, Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Georgia State, Troy and Memphis, but the evaluation period is likely to lead to more. Jackson named Vanderbilt, Ole Miss and LSU as schools he thinks will jump on board soon, and it’s fair to assume the list won’t stop there.

As for a decision, Jackson provides a more complicated answer.

Jackson originally wanted to wait until after his senior season to decide. Now, he’s leaning toward potentially enrolling early. That could move his commitment date up to the summer, which would force the hand of many programs who have waited to offer.

The Bo Jackson factor

Feel free to ask Shedrick Jackson about his uncle Bo. Everyone does.

He’s grown up as “Bo Jackson’s nephew” and accepts that isn’t an easy reputation to shake. But with his recruitment starting to boom, Jackson knows there isn’t a better time than the present to remind everyone that Shedrick Jackson and Bo Jackson aren’t synonymous.

Sugar Bowl-Auburn football-Auburn Tigers-Bo Jackson
Auburn legend Bo Jackson won the Heisman Trophy in 1985. (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

“Obviously, it’s going to get a lot of attention. But really what you’ve got to do is go out there and make a name for yourself. It’s not Bo Jackson going out there anymore. It’s not him scoring touchdowns or running 40-yard dashes. You’ve got to go out there and make a name for yourself,” Jackson said. “I really try to block it out. That’s really not something I think about all the time just because Bo Jackson’s my uncle. I’m Shedrick Jackson. I need to make my own decisions.”

That’s not to say he shies away from comparisons to his uncle. Jackson embraces them.

He watches Bo’s highlights when he gets to chance, hoping to snag a move or two from his uber-athletic uncle. He talks with his uncle whenever he can to pick his brain about recruiting or the life of a student-athlete, but Bo doesn’t overwhelm him with his opinion on where Jackson should end up.

It’s just uncle-nephew conversation when they get the chance at family events or Auburn football games.

But Jackson does self-set pretty high expectations for what he hopes to bring when he steps on the college scene.

“No doubt there’s pressure, especially from all the attention I get from it. There are tons of expectations,” Jackson said, “but, really, I just want to go out there and be better than he was.”

Auburn’s biggest competition

Jackson, by nature, grew up an Auburn fan.

As his recruitment took off, he realized the Plains might not be his final destination, so he began to separate himself from his more dedicated childhood fandom. He still considers himself an Auburn supporter, but he doesn’t expect that to influence his ultimate decision one way or another.

“I was an Auburn fan. Recently, the past few years, the value of it has decreased. I haven’t been a die-hard or anything crazy about Auburn,” Jackson said. “Starting like sophomore year, I realized I have to expand and see other schools to find what’s best for me.”

The big factor that has emerged, which will end up being Auburn’s biggest obstacle: academics.

DSC_0005-6_ahwgzd.jpg
Auburn WR target Shedrick Jackson is interested in attending Georgia Tech because of their academic programs. (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

Education will be one of the most important factors in Jackson’s choice — hence why Georgia Tech has emerged as one of Jackson’s early favorites alongside Auburn. Vanderbilt is another school who has yet to offer, but Jackson sees the Commodores as a likely destination if and when they choose to offer.

“There’s something about schools like Vanderbilt and Georgia Tech and the way they carry themselves academically,” Jackson said. “That’s something that I take pride in, my academics. I just want to go in and work hard.”

Jackson has studied business management and marketing since his freshman year at Hoover High, and that’s what he plans to study in college. There are plenty of other programs who will enter the Jackson sweepstakes, but consider those two high-academic institutions the most probable programs to give Auburn a challenging recruiting push.

With Georgia Tech specifically, Auburn will have a tough run at the legacy wide receiver.

“It’s a nice school, nice campus. I like the wide receiver coach there,” Jackson said. “I was actually at Georgia Tech at the time (of Auburn’s spring game).”

Edited by ellitor

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

So did Megatron Johnson.

Completely difference offense when he went to GT though. Even Demaryius Thomas started his career at GT before Paul Johnson brought his triple option.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, WDEKC said:

Completely difference offense when he went to GT though. Even Demaryius Thomas started his career at GT before Paul Johnson brought his triple option.

It was still a run offense although not as heavily skewed. 2004: 60th in rushing, 88th in passing. 2005: 48th in rushing, 87th in passing. 2006: 33rd in rushing, 66th in passing. All per teamrankings.com

1 hour ago, AUMASTERS said:

What would Shedrick be without Meshach & Abednego?

What would any of them be without that 4th in the fire

• Like 9

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

What would any of them be without that 4th in the fire

burnt toast.

• Like 1

In fairness, GT was 124th in passing yards this year while we were 109th. Just having fun with this one. I know all of that is going to change big time in 2017. (And I would like to have Mr Jackson on the Plains)

• 5 weeks later...

It’s easy to assume Shedrick Jackson will one day suit up for Auburn, after all, he is the nephew of one of best players in school history — Bo Jackson is his grandfather’s brother. Although it would be unwise to rush to that judgment, as the 2018 receiver from Birmingham, Ala., has a list of suitors eager to sign him to a scholarship.

Rated as a three-star prospect, 247Sports lists Jackson as the No. 56 receiver in the nation and the No. 10 overall prospect from the state of Alabama. His offer list includes Mississippi State, Missouri, Memphis, and Arkansas State among several others.

Shedrick Jackson recently revealed he intends to look at all his options during his recruitment.

“I’m looking at all colleges,” Jackson told Drew Champlin of AL.com. “I’ve been talking to (Auburn receivers) coach (Kodi) Burns about going down next week to talk to the coaches and build chemistry.”

Auburn’s persistence appears to have paid off, as Jackson released his Top 5 list Wednesday. No surprise to see Auburn made the cut while Mississippi State and Missouri are the two other SEC schools to make their way on his list.

Not only does Jackson display the speed you would certainly expect from an athlete from the Jackson family, but he shows not only a great willingness but display of blocking on the outside formation of the offense. If he does indeed find his way to Auburn in the near future, his blocking very well could be what separates him from the other receivers in Gus Malzahn’s offense.

Edited by ellitor

7 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

You'd think of those 5, Auburn would be a no brainer.

If he's a take.

8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

If he's a take.

That's got to be an interesting position for the staff... turning down a relative of Bo could cause a bit of a stir. It's not like, as the #10 prospect in the state, he's a scrub or anything.

• Like 2

Looks close to receiving a 4th star as well. If he performs at summer camps he will get a bump sooner rather than later.