That Which Does Not Kill You...

AURex

They sat me down at 8:30 AM as planned, started getting me numbed up. Just injections. We've all had them.
One of the doctors explained exactly what they were planning to do, in what order. They weren't going to knock me out, because they needed me to respond and do things along the way.
It might run over into lunch hour, he said. Maybe four hours. I brought my own CDs. They cranked up the stereo and got to work.
7 HOURS LATER! The two doctors are still taking turns in my mouth. By this time, the injections of two different forms of anesthesia are no longer working. I am no longer numb. They are drilling into bone, setting implant bases. I'm trying not to kill them both, but I'm sure I twisted the arms off the chair!
Around 4:30, I was being wheeled out to the car in a wheelchair. We got home shortly after 5:00. Wifey gave me one of her Hydrocodone/Acetaminophen tabs and went off to the drug store with my prescriptions for more of that, some Percocet and Ibuprofen 800. Don't eat hard foods right away, they instructed. Right. ha
Needless to say, I was "uncomfortable" for awhile last night. I'm doing much better now -- helped by the drugs.
At some point during the day, while I was still numb and things were going along well, one of the doctors said, "For us, this is the fun stuff." Yeah, tell me about that. You are lucky I didn't rip your head off! hahaha
We look back in the history of medicine at the hundreds of years of surgery before the first anesthetic, the horrific tools used to chop, saw, drill, cut.
They say those times are over, that medicine is now so much more humane. There are no more horrors.I have one word for you -- dentistry.
However, I did survive, and I must say, the new teeth do look good. I might even flash a smile in the future -- as I plot the slow, painful torture of two dentists.

2 hours ago, AURex said:
They sat me down at 8:30 AM as planned, started getting me numbed up. Just injections. We've all had them.
One of the doctors explained exactly what they were planning to do, in what order. They weren't going to knock me out, because they needed me to respond and do things along the way.
It might run over into lunch hour, he said. Maybe four hours. I brought my own CDs. They cranked up the stereo and got to work.
7 HOURS LATER! The two doctors are still taking turns in my mouth. By this time, the injections of two different forms of anesthesia are no longer working. I am no longer numb. They are drilling into bone, setting implant bases. I'm trying not to kill them both, but I'm sure I twisted the arms off the chair!
Around 4:30, I was being wheeled out to the car in a wheelchair. We got home shortly after 5:00. Wifey gave me one of her Hydrocodone/Acetaminophen tabs and went off to the drug store with my prescriptions for more of that, some Percocet and Ibuprofen 800. Don't eat hard foods right away, they instructed. Right. ha
Needless to say, I was "uncomfortable" for awhile last night. I'm doing much better now -- helped by the drugs.
At some point during the day, while I was still numb and things were going along well, one of the doctors said, "For us, this is the fun stuff." Yeah, tell me about that. You are lucky I didn't rip your head off! hahaha
We look back in the history of medicine at the hundreds of years of surgery before the first anesthetic, the horrific tools used to chop, saw, drill, cut.
They say those times are over, that medicine is now so much more humane. There are no more horrors.I have one word for you -- dentistry.
However, I did survive, and I must say, the new teeth do look good. I might even flash a smile in the future -- as I plot the slow, painful torture of two dentists.

slow, painfull, hell

go back and bite'em

and smile

You numnuts you should have told me my wife has been in dental for 25 years and is now the Executive Director of the Dental Society of Orlando....500 dentist strong. I've had implants done with no problem wait till I tell my wife she's going to have a fit. 7 frickin hours are you kidding me with two dentist...I smell something a mist

Which tooth did have have an implant on? I have two with zero problem

He might have had all the back ones like a friend of mine did. Hardheaded sob played golf the next morning at everyone's advice not to. That back nine he was dragging. Looked like hell. 

Actually, 8 implants. 4 upper, 4 lower. (I've been putting this off for a long time, because .... dentistry.

After doing some research, I found in the medical/dental literature that local anesthetics often fail when there is infection. So that explains the issue with the uppers, because that was what they were doing last. The reason it took so long was because they encountered deep curled roots that had to be drilled out.

Actually, these two dentists did a great job. Meticulous, exacting, getting everything right. It wasn't their fault the anesthesia wasn't working towards the end. But that still didn't make it any easier to endure!

4 hours ago, AURex said:

Actually, 8 implants. 4 upper, 4 lower. (I've been putting this off for a long time, because .... dentistry.

After doing some research, I found in the medical/dental literature that local anesthetics often fail when there is infection. So that explains the issue with the uppers, because that was what they were doing last. The reason it took so long was because they encountered deep curled roots that had to be drilled out.

Actually, these two dentists did a great job. Meticulous, exacting, getting everything right. It wasn't their fault the anesthesia wasn't working towards the end. But that still didn't make it any easier to endure!

Was it an Oral Surgeon and a Prosthodontist or two Prosthodontist......wife wants to know

Lead of the two was an experienced prosthedontist, grad of U of Michigan, on the faculty here for some years. The other, I'm not sure what his specialty is, but he's also on the faculty here, has been for awhile, and does implants (which I know, because he did one for my wife a few months ago).

When it was obvious that the local anesthesia was no longer working, they asked me if I wanted to quit and schedule another time to finish up. I said no, because I was set on getting this over and done with.

Had my first followup yesterday. Things look great in their judgment and I am now pretty much past any ill effects. It's all just a memory now.

Have lost 5 lbs living on smoothies, but this is not a dietary strategy I'd recommend to anyone.

Archived