Baseball vs Tennessee game 2

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too bad for KT....pitched well enough to win I guess but for the most part,  nobody to hold 'em after the 7th

Frustrating after being up 3-0 then 4-1 late in the game. Need to perform much better at the plate tomorrow. Series win probably not required, but would be very helpful in our hopes of hosting. 

KT grinded through 6 innings and did enough to deserve the win.  Our strikeouts have started to go way up it seems.  Ever since the series at Georgia the hitting seems off.

unfortunatey, the relief pitching is what it is ... for now.

Losing this series to one of the worst teams in the conference will be a bad thing to do, make no mistake. I'm afraid that if tomorrow's game comes down to who out-hits the other guy we won't win that one.

I love what Butch has done with this team and the prospects of having him at AU for a long time are exciting for our baseball program. Our starting pitching is as good as it gets. Our bullpen guys looked like they were afraid to challenge hitters and throw strikes. Keep giving good hitters 2-0 and 3-1 counts and they will make you pay. 

Lots of K's and fly balls to the outfield....not good at bats.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Lots of K's and fly balls to the outfield....not good at bats.

Unfortunately that is much the result of our offensive philosophy right now.  I assume in most cases we try to get the opposing pitcher deep in counts and run up total pitches.  Sisson has our guys in the "up, up" (choke up, move up) two strike approach and I believe it makes guys defensive at the plate.  In conference games we really struggle to put up crooked numbers without having three or four guys who can hit the ball out of the ballpark.  I think Josh Anthony has been one of the better third basemen we've seen from a defensive standpoint, but he was wrestled away from the Braves because of his power potential.  Daniel Robert is a tight end in a baseball uniform with some of the quickest hands I've ever seen swing a bat but he almost never drives the ball to right.  We obviously don't have anybody in the SEC top ten in home runs, rbi, or slugging percentage.  Until we find some guys who can hold a lead on the mound, we are going to live and die by one run games.  To live, we will have to be almost flawless defensively.

50 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Unfortunately that is much the result of our offensive philosophy right now.  I assume in most cases we try to get the opposing pitcher deep in counts and run up total pitches.  Sisson has our guys in the "up, up" (choke up, move up) two strike approach and I believe it makes guys defensive at the plate.  In conference games we really struggle to put up crooked numbers without having three or four guys who can hit the ball out of the ballpark.  I think Josh Anthony has been one of the better third basemen we've seen from a defensive standpoint, but he was wrestled away from the Braves because of his power potential.  Daniel Robert is a tight end in a baseball uniform with some of the quickest hands I've ever seen swing a bat but he almost never drives the ball to right.  We obviously don't have anybody in the SEC top ten in home runs, rbi, or slugging percentage.  Until we find some guys who can hold a lead on the mound, we are going to live and die by one run games.  To live, we will have to be almost flawless defensively.

I see that we have gone to a bigger line up lately....likely in hopes of some HRs but not much has happened other than that great walk off by C Davis who was pinch hitting.    Maybe we've been successful in running up counts but not so successful in putting numbers on the scoreboard.  Appreciate your analysis of some reasons....I just see what is going on now.... and how hard it is for us to score runs.   

A team can go pretty far on two good starters IF...there are a couple middle relief or closers to back them up....which we are pretty much missing right now.  And looking forward.....is it likely that Mize and Thompson will be gone after this season? 

I would have thought yes for Thompson if he remained in early season form.  If he doesn't come back from this midseason, post fatigue funk then he might need to come back next year to prove his first rounder worth.

mize is a soph so we get him back

Archived