Softball vs. Missouri - game 1

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, autigeremt said:

Gonna have nights like this. We are missing the bats we've had the last two seasons.

True but we are working our way toward the middle of the SEC making a Regional harder to obtain.   Gotta win the series at home.  

Draper walks and Auburn has runners on 1st and 2nd with no outs.   Carlee Wallace up.     Pitching change for missouri. 

Wallace grounds to short, throw goes to 3rd to get the lead runner.   1 out.  Runners on 1st and 2nd.  Kasey Cooper up.

Rivera high chopper back to the pitcher and the throw to 1st in time to get the last out.  Auburn falls 6-1.   Gotta come back strong tomorrow.

Auburn was 0 for 8 with runners in scoring position.  Frustrating night

6 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Just got to regroup and get the series. 

That's the biggest thing, not losing 2 of 3 in these series is crucial. 

bad day of little ball for AU....baseball and softball both went down tonight.... and not looking that good at the plate in either game.

I just have to believe the whole deal with Corey Meyer has seriously affected this team. Hate to bring it up but I think that's the reality

Missouri is now at 24-16 and has a very checkered record.  They've lost to teams like Nebraska and Cal-SB, but own wins over Texas A&M,  uat, Washington, and James Madison.  Just last weekend, they lost two of three to Arkansas at home.  Let's hope we can right the ship in the next two games.

Several upsets happening today/tonight:  South Carolina beat Florida St. 7-2, and Ole Miss swept a doubleheader with LSU, 1-0 each. Even Arizona lost to Utah.

48 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

There is some chemistry issues ... things just don't "feel" right

I agree with what you said but there is also other things at play as well that plays in to it imo.  Fagan is not having anywhere close to the season she had before the acl. Cooper the best player by a wide margin in our history and IMO the best player in the whole country last year is having a down year for her standards. Tough to be consistent on offense when your best player and another one of your best hitters are not up to form.

1 hour ago, mustache eagle said:

There is some chemistry issues ... things just don't "feel" right

They don't, and it didn't just start recently. This team has been about a half-degree off plumb since the season's start. I'd hoped it would get ironed out by now but so far there's no indication of that happening.

I can understand the hitting woes a little more than the defensive play. We had to replace 3 very good hitters and while we are replacing those same defenders as well,  the errors have come from veterans.

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I agree with what you said but there is also other things at play as well that plays in to it imo.  Fagan is not having anywhere close to the season she had before the acl. Cooper the best player by a wide margin in our history and IMO the best player in the whole country last year is having a down year for her standards. Tough to be consistent on offense when your best player and another one of your best hitters are not up to form.

Fagan is hitting .317 with 6 homers now; in 2015 she hit .347 with 13 homers in 67 games.  She's on pace for 9-10 homers for the year.  So yeah,her numbers aren't up to 2015 standards, but to say she's nowhere close seems an exaggeration.  Cooper has been hitting the ball well in the last 8-10 games, although she started the year miserably.  Her average has climbed up to over .300 now.  I have hopes it will continue.  The emergence of Rivera (hitting .407) will help all batters. In 2015, Fagan was batting 6th, I think,after Howard, Cooper, Carosone, Rhodes, and  Branndi Melero.  All those except Rhodes were hitting over .300; two were hitting over .400.  Then Morgan Estell was at .367.  My point is that Fagan got to see more good pitches in 2015.    

7 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Fagan is hitting .317 with 6 homers now; in 2015 she hit .347 with 13 homers in 67 games.  She's on pace for 9-10 homers for the year.  So yeah,her numbers aren't up to 2015 standards, but to say she's nowhere close seems an exaggeration.  Cooper has been hitting the ball well in the last 8-10 games, although she started the year miserably.  Her average has climbed up to over .300 now.  I have hopes it will continue.  The emergence of Rivera (hitting .407) will help all batters. In 2015, Fagan was batting 6th, I think,after Howard, Cooper, Carosone, Rhodes, and  Branndi Melero.  All those except Rhodes were hitting over .300; two were hitting over .400.  Then Morgan Estell was at .367.  My point is that Fagan got to see more good pitches in 2015.    

lol WOW!!! SOMEONE LAID DOWN THE FACTDOWN!!!! well done sir!!! you have earned this like!!!! well yah losing 3 all americans is tough especially when 2 in tiff howard and carasone were the heart and soul of the team. The great thing is expectations is always high now for softball every year regardless of the circumstances and turnover. Clint Myers is that dang good. We will eventually see his great recruiting classes pay off soon with the players he brought in as they get older and adjust to the college game cause we have some stud ponies in the stable. MAAAAAAAAAAAN I did not realize fagan was having that good of a year! thanks for the heads up fam! all that is stuck in my mind was that naaaaaaaaaasty slump she was in earlier in the year.

Wonder if Cooper has been over-worked.   Didn't she play for a national last year also....just does not seem like the same person at the plate as last season.

6 hours ago, AU64 said:

Wonder if Cooper has been over-worked.   Didn't she play for a national last year also....just does not seem like the same person at the plate as last season.

I think it was a couple weeks after our season ended last year she was back in OKC with the US National team. They played overseas this past summer as well. Could be.

I think most of "issues" with Cooper has been that no one was pitching to her. With no emergence of another hitter behind her most teams have opted to basically pitch around her and the frustration had been showing. Now that Fagan and Rivera have been step it up and with SEC ball starting teams haven't really been able to pitch around Cooper. Cooper has been back to hitting form the past 2 weeks. No need to worry about her. 

There is something up with this team. I've been so curious as to why Myers has been playing so many different players and constantly tweaking the lineup. Not sure why and I'm sure it's trying to see who is game ready but it's like he had too many good players and has been trying to find that right 9 player lineup with the chemistry that clicks. Just haven't found that consistent lineup that keeps the bats going night after night. 

Archived