I am out.

oposssum

I cannot and will not support a university that does not allow free speech.  Not letting Richard Spencer speak is wrong.  I do not agree with him, but he has just as much right to rent a hall as anyone else.  Peace. 

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I kinda sort of agree here, and I'm a reasonably left-wing person. He is a deplorable human being, but he should be allowed to speak, just as we should be allowed to not take his opinions seriously.

4 hours ago, oposssum said:

I cannot and will not support a university that does not allow free speech.  Not letting Richard Spencer speak is wrong.  I do not agree with him, but he has just as much right to rent a hall as anyone else.  Peace. 

I agree. I am really deeply disappointed in my Alma Mater. One of the rare times ever. This makes us no better than Berkley, et. al. Sad. I hope the Pres. gets some e-mails,,,,,besides mine.

Guys, you're blaming the wrong entity. The University has a responsibility regarding the safety of its charges. The students. The city informed them that this was potentially unsafe. Once they did that, Auburn's hands were tied. Had this gone forward and had anything happened, Auburn would have been liable.

I was all for letting him speak. See my other thread here. But once the city told Auburn there was a threat, they had no choice.

36 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

Guys, you're blaming the wrong entity. The University has a responsibility regarding the safety of its charges. The students. The city informed them that this was potentially unsafe. Once they did that, Auburn's hands were tied. Had this gone forward and had anything happened, Auburn would have been liable.

I was all for letting him speak. See my other thread here. But once the city told Auburn there was a threat, they had no choice.

Who was going to cause problems.......Auburn students? If that's the case I am really disappointed that we have such students at Auburn that aren't open to listening, or just boycotting someone they may not agree with. We sink to the level ot Berkley et., al.

1 hour ago, Proud Tiger said:

Who was going to cause problems.......Auburn students? If that's the case I am really disappointed that we have such students at Auburn that aren't open to listening, or just boycotting someone they may not agree with. We sink to the level ot Berkley et., al.

Who knows? Maybe ANTIFA said they were going to show up or something. 

2 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

Really? just a few years ago a guy from 15mins down the road killed our trees cause he was pissed Bama lost a football game.

But NOW you find it amazing to learn there are crazies around Auburn who will make threats, and likely follow up on them?

2 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

Exactly...unsafe from whom?    That in my opinion is a crock and just an poor excuse.    But even good ole  "rural south",  Auburn University has it's liberal biases and I'll bet there were very few members of the faculty expressing their outrage citing, their belief that even an idiot has the right to free speech.

23 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Exactly...unsafe from whom?    That in my opinion is a crock and just an poor excuse.    But even good ole  "rural south",  Auburn University has it's liberal biases and I'll bet there were very few members of the faculty expressing their outrage citing, their belief that even an idiot has the right to free speech.

Yes, the Nazi that openly wonders if black people are necessary and wants to know the best way to dispose of them, or if Jews are even people as opposed to golems has no one standing up for him. Such a shame.

3 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

Yes, the Nazi that openly wonders if black people are necessary and wants to know the best way to dispose of them, or if Jews are even people as opposed to golems has no one standing up for him. Such a shame.

Fine...go and do it....but threatening violence against him or people who are curious if nothing else about the guy.....JMO but that's not your job and sometimes it's hard to separate the anarchists from the Nazis.....or the communists who killed about 50 million of their own citizens who were perceived to be threats to their government...or were just of the wrong ethnic origin.

JMO but it's not a good plan to decide who has the right to be heard....by attacking the listeners. 

No one took his free speech...they could have met at huddle house or a lot off campus. They only cancelled him because of the security threat...maybe another wack job called in a bomb threat or something. If his rhetoric was not so hateful he could have stood a chance. All he does is cause divide in a country where we should all be united. 

27 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

No one took his free speech...they could have met at huddle house or a lot off campus. They only cancelled him because of the security threat...maybe another wack job called in a bomb threat or something.

His platform was taken, but legally. Universities are not unlimited public forums, and Auburn can legally do so in the interest of public safety. The city warned them, therefore Auburn is liable if anything should happen. In fact, it would probably be considered criminally negligent to go forward after the city's warning.

As to the nature of the threat, no one knows. Could be any number of things. 

27 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

If his rhetoric was not so hateful he could have stood a chance. All he does is cause divide in a country where we should all be united. 

His rhetoric is the very definition of hateful. He's making a living off of hate, and unfortunately playing to a very receptive audience. Hate speech is protected speech, though. Sometimes it sucks, but thems the breaks. 

52 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Fine...go and do it....but threatening violence against him or people who are curious if nothing else about the guy.....JMO but that's not your job and sometimes it's hard to separate the anarchists from the Nazis.....or the communists who killed about 50 million of their own citizens who were perceived to be threats to their government...or were just of the wrong ethnic origin.

JMO but it's not a good plan to decide who has the right to be heard....by attacking the listeners. 

Word salad response. Are the faculty attacking him?

Keeping quiet when asked to stand up for a racist sh*tbag. For shame. Somebody should do something about this.

53 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

Word salad response. Are the faculty attacking him?

Keeping quiet when asked to stand up for a racist sh*tbag. For shame. Somebody should do something about this.

Yep....can't allow stupid gullible AU students to hear something like this I guess.   

Meanwhile Fresno State students are paying to hear this guy spew his hate.....and the school defended is right to do so until the heat got to be too much I guess.

http://www.fresnobee.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/bill-mcewen/article144013199.html

3 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

Now that is BS, like it or not. You inject the black and Jewish issues. Tell me.....why should a white group be placed in a different than the Black Lives Matter group?

3 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Now that is BS, like it or not. You inject the black and Jewish issues. Tell me.....why should a white group be placed in a different than the Black Lives Matter group?

Idiotic question.  One proclaims racial supremacy, the right to dominate, espouses hate.  The other seeks equality and justice.

This isn't white versus black.  This is good versus evil.

Archived