Baseball vs Tennessee Game 3

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MAN! this game today makes last night hurt so much more! We should of swept these guys!!! War Eagle!

LOL pitching change and a lead off homerun... now I'm really disappointed DD didnt get his shot, his shutout and mize's shutout have both been ruined by our bullpen.

8-1 final, auburn wins! Still can't help but feel frustrated for Davís Daniel, best start of the season for him and his shutout and shot at a CG was taken from him. Unselfish baseball sucks some times.

1 minute ago, wareagle13 said:

8-1 final, auburn wins! Still can't help but feel frustrated for Davís Daniel, best start of the season for him and his shutout and shot at a CG was taken from him. Unselfish baseball sucks some times.

I hear ya' but I can guarantee you he is on cloud nine right now.  He could make this THE most formidable starting three in the SEC.  Just one of many tremendous weekend pitching performances to come from that kid.

3 hours ago, wareagle13 said:

Been studying all morning just tuning in. Do they have a reason why the game isn't on espn3?

Guessing the TV issue had to do with the Tennessee softball game being nationally broadcast. aTm wasn't able to broadcast two games at the same time last weekend (their spring football game and baseball game). Maybe these schools aren't equipped to do both. 

Good weekend even with the loss yesterday. Road series victories are great resume builders and the possibility of host a regional is likely still there. 

Series remaining:

vs Arky

@Bama

vs Miss State

@LSU

vs Ole Miss

Every home series we have I certainly think we can take 2. @LSU will be tough, so I'd be okay with one win and two close losses there. Bama is in free fall. If we can go into that series focused, we can sweep that and end up with about 19 wins in conference. I'd like 20 to solidify our regional host chances, but roughly 18-12 should at least put us in the conversation, especially with two top 10 series wins.

3 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Series remaining:

vs Arky

@Bama

vs Miss State

@LSU

vs Ole Miss

Every home series we have I certainly think we can take 2. @LSU will be tough, so I'd be okay with one win and two close losses there. Bama is in free fall. If we can go into that series focused, we can sweep that and end up with about 19 wins in conference. I'd like 20 to solidify our regional host chances, but roughly 18-12 should at least put us in the conversation, especially with two top 10 series wins.

We go to Mississippi State, then have uat in Auburn

6 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Series remaining:

vs Arky

@Bama

vs Miss State

@LSU

vs Ole Miss

I really don't know what to think about our next two series. I think we can win the series against LSU, and we should win against Bama and OM. But Arkansas and Miss St are gonna be super tough series. Both seem to be really solid, balanced teams. If we can manage to get through the last 5 series at 8-7, is be pretty happy about that. 

2 hours ago, boomstick said:

I really don't know what to think about our next two series. I think we can win the series against LSU, and we should win against Bama and OM. But Arkansas and Miss St are gonna be super tough series. Both seem to be really solid, balanced teams. If we can manage to get through the last 5 series at 8-7, is be pretty happy about that. 

We will take LSU. Going to Baton Rouge for that one. :hellyeah:

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Auburn starting pitchers Casey Mize, Keegan Thompson and Daniel allowed only one earned run in 20 combined innings in the Tennessee series. Wow that's some good pitching

... and mize and Thompson both said they didn't have their best stuff!  Imagine if all 3 starters are on top of their game here at the end of the season!  We will be a tough opponent for anyone.

We need our starting pitching to go deeper into the game. 20 innings while only allowing 1ER is amazing! We should have swept the series if it wasn't for the bullpen. 

Among the statistics in the SEC, we appear to be a defense-based team as we aren't lighting up any batting categories, and out pitching is carrying us well so far this season.

I don't know much about baseball, so I wanted to ask the more seasoned fans if this way of winning can typically sustain a team throughout the season? Is it okay to rely on your starting pitchers this much?

On 4/16/2017 at 10:33 AM, tigerbrotha12 said:

Series remaining:

vs Arky

@Bama

vs Miss State

@LSU

vs Ole Miss

Just for comparison:  The 1995 team that went deep into Omaha was 19-8 in the SEC.  I think 19 SEC wins is the school record.  That was the team with Mark Bellhorn.  The 1997 team that also made it to Omaha was 17-12 SEC.  Huddie and Josh Etheredge had 38 homers between them.  Of course, those were the days of aluminum bats. 

2 hours ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

Among the statistics in the SEC, we appear to be a defense-based team as we aren't lighting up any batting categories, and out pitching is carrying us well so far this season.

I don't know much about baseball, so I wanted to ask the more seasoned fans if this way of winning can typically sustain a team throughout the season? Is it okay to rely on your starting pitchers this much?

IMO, it's a better recipe than all hitting and no pitching or defense. Pitching is the most critical because it can keep you in games even when your offense isn't producing. And it's not unusual to rely on your starters for 6-7 innings per outing. Teams just don't always have the rotation to be able to produce that every weekend. 

The way this team is built right now sets up well for any weekend series, decently well for a regional tournament, and just so so for the SEC Tournament or CWS (not that I think we will make Omaha). Very good starters, 3-4 good pieces in the bullpen, and a solid lineup. 

17 minutes ago, boomstick said:

IMO, it's a better recipe than all hitting and no pitching or defense. Pitching is the most critical because it can keep you in games even when your offense isn't producing. And it's not unusual to rely on your starters for 6-7 innings per outing. Teams just don't always have the rotation to be able to produce that every weekend. 

The way this team is built right now sets up well for any weekend series, decently well for a regional tournament, and just so so for the SEC Tournament or CWS (not that I think we will make Omaha). Very good starters, 3-4 good pieces in the bullpen, and a solid lineup. 

Many "experts" think that Auburn, no matter where they are, will be a very tough out in a regional with our starting pitching.  ( I use the term "experts" lightly, but still....)

3 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Many "experts" think that Auburn, no matter where they are, will be a very tough out in a regional with our starting pitching.  ( I use the term "experts" lightly, but still....)

I agree. I just think the regional setup is less ideal because of our pitching depth and quality. Because it's played in weekend (plus a Monday if needed), it causes everyone to use up all of their arms, and Auburn just doesn't have a lot of quality down the line. Starting pitching would be great in the first three games and solid in the fourth game (I think Camacho is a solid fourth starter). I just think we will run out of arms in that short amount of time. I hope I'm wrong.

23 minutes ago, boomstick said:

I agree. I just think the regional setup is less ideal because of our pitching depth and quality. Because it's played in weekend (plus a Monday if needed), it causes everyone to use up all of their arms, and Auburn just doesn't have a lot of quality down the line. Starting pitching would be great in the first three games and solid in the fourth game (I think Camacho is a solid fourth starter). I just think we will run out of arms in that short amount of time. I hope I'm wrong.

I'm thinking more of if your starting pitching can get you through the first two games, you've got a game that you can try your starters and then throw the guy from your first game again if you need him. That's typically how the rotation goes  in regionals with teams and so I would think Camacho could even come out of the bullpen in the regional. That leaves you with your starters being Mize, Thompson, and Daniel. You, then have Mitchell, Lipscomb, Robert, Camacho, and Coker that have been the most reliable this season coming out of the bullpen. If your starters can take you deep into the first two games, you've got a good opportunity to use your better bullpen arms the rest of the week. The key is getting good starts from your SPs. This is why AU sets up well for a regional. 

Archived