Baseball vs Tennessee Game 3

9 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I'm thinking more of if your starting pitching can get you through the first two games, you've got a game that you can try your starters and then throw the guy from your first game again if you need him. That's typically how the rotation goes  in regionals with teams and so I would think Camacho could even come out of the bullpen in the regional. That leaves you with your starters being Mize, Thompson, and Daniel. You, then have Mitchell, Lipscomb, Robert, Camacho, and Coker that have been the most reliable this season coming out of the bullpen. If your starters can take you deep into the first two games, you've got a good opportunity to use your better bullpen arms the rest of the week. The key is getting good starts from your SPs. This is why AU sets up well for a regional. 

You're right. I think we have the starting pitching depth for a regional. If we get 6-7 or more from any of our starters in a regional, that sets us up really well. I don't think this team can afford a 4-5 inning outing from a starter, though.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, boomstick said:

You're right. I think we have the starting pitching depth for a regional. If we get 6-7 or more from any of our starters in a regional, that sets us up really well. I don't think this team can afford a 4-5 inning outing from a starter, though.

Think you're correct in that. Either needs 6-7 inning start, or a reliever to really step up. Lipscomb's done it a few times and so has Mitchell where they've come in after a starter and limited the damage pretty well. We shall see.

BT facing a delicate balancing act with the starters......trying to keep them fresh enough to be effective the entire season..... thus limiting their innings / pitches as much as possible without pulling them and giving the bullpen the opportunity to let the lead get away.  The toughest job a manager has in my view is knowing when to pull a pitcher.

I'm betting that from now on, any time one of the "Big Three" gets through the 6th with at least a 3 run lead (maybe 4 is the cut-off) he will be gone.  Anything less than that and he might go another inning or until the pitch count is in the 100 range.   JMO.  

Just now, AUTigersfan89 said:

Who will be the SP tomorrow?

I believe BT announced Camacho would start on the podcast with Andy Burcham this morning. @ellitor I know you listen to the podcast (or have in the past). Is that correct?

9 hours ago, boomstick said:

I agree. I just think the regional setup is less ideal because of our pitching depth and quality. Because it's played in weekend (plus a Monday if needed), it causes everyone to use up all of their arms, and Auburn just doesn't have a lot of quality down the line. Starting pitching would be great in the first three games and solid in the fourth game (I think Camacho is a solid fourth starter). I just think we will run out of arms in that short amount of time. I hope I'm wrong.

If a team wins straight through the regional it only takes three games. 3-0 wins it. Lose one somewhere along the way and the math gets complicated.

Archived