Good news!! Tre Mason is BACK!

bikeriderga

I have not heard this widely reported, so thought I would share.

After a season out of football filled with off-the-field issues, former Auburn standout Tre Mason is working toward a comeback this year, Cleveland Browns wide receiver Ricardo Lewis said.

"Right now, he's waiting for the draft to come," Louis told TMZ Sports , "and then after the draft, he's going to pick a team to go play for, because obviously he's not with the Rams anymore. But he's been working, so he may get on a team and pick up right where he left off, you know? So basically, we're just working. That's it. That's the moral to the story: We're working."

Louis and Mason were teammates at Auburn for two seasons, including 2013, when Mason was the SEC Offensive Player of the Year and a Heisman Trophy finalist as the Tigers won the league championship and played in the BCS national-championship game.

Louis said he and Mason had been training together during this offseason.

"We just work hard," Louis said. "When me and him get together, that's all we do. We've been doing this since we were at Auburn. Before we had that magical season, we were working hard. The situation he's going through right now, we're still getting it in, we're still going through the process we went through before that magical season we had. And every year that we've been off, we've been working."

"I don't have no doubt in my mind," Louis said when asked if Mason would be back in the NFL in 2017. "The work he's put in, the mindset he has, the track he's on right now is all leading towards him getting another chance and playing and picking up right where he left off."

Source: http://amp.al.com/v1/articles/20476002/tre_mason_working_toward_nfl_c.amp

2 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

I'm not gonna say "no chance..." but

no chance you say?! 

good news that he's able to train, but if the cause of his issues was brain injuries from football as some sources speculated, I'm not sure he should play anymore.  Then again, I'm no doctor.  I hope regardless of what was wrong that he's able to overcome it and accomplish his goals.  Tre' is my fav. Tiger of all time, so I wish nothing but the best for him.

2 hours ago, FistyMcBeefpunch said:

good news that he's able to train, but if the cause of his issues was brain injuries from football as some sources speculated, I'm not sure he should play anymore.  Then again, I'm no doctor.  I hope regardless of what was wrong that he's able to overcome it and accomplish his goals.  Tre' is my fav. Tiger of all time, so I wish nothing but the best for him.

It is funny to me that everyone goes to brain injurys fist these days. I would bet most of these guys are on illegal drugs when they do stupid stuff, but it probably a brain injurys fault.

30 minutes ago, wildlife alumni said:

It is funny to me that everyone goes to brain injurys fist these days. I would bet most of these guys are on illegal drugs when they do stupid stuff, but it probably a brain injurys fault.

No idea what Tre's issues really are, but spice and these other "synthetic" drugs floating around can definitely make people do some downright crazy things. See it every day. I actually would rather Tre's issues be something like this because it's something he can get past, whereas a brain injury...not so much. The fact that he's trying to make a return makes me doubt there's a brain injury but that's just a hunch based on nothing else. Either way he has a long road convincing a team that he is "stable".

1 hour ago, boisnumber1 said:

No idea what Tre's issues really are, but spice and these other "synthetic" drugs floating around can definitely make people do some downright crazy things. See it every day. I actually would rather Tre's issues be something like this because it's something he can get past, whereas a brain injury...not so much. The fact that he's trying to make a return makes me doubt there's a brain injury but that's just a hunch based on nothing else. Either way he has a long road convincing a team that he is "stable".

If it's a brain injury I can't imagine anyone in the NFL taking a risk with him.   They are fine with about any human frailty that can be cured or controlled....but knowingly taking a guy with a brain related injury is just asking for big legal problems down the road.  

Hoping it's something he can overcome and someone will be there with him to keep him pointed in the right direction....like Ricardo for example....

This is really hard for me to believe. He wasn't just being an a**hole. Something was really wrong with him. But like bois#1 said, I hope it was drug related. I suspect the nfl will evaluate the hell out of him. 

I have my doubts also. His mother has more information than any of us, and she blamed it on head injuries. I wish him the best but football may not be in his best interests.

4 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

I have my doubts also. His mother has more information than any of us, and she blamed it on head injuries. I wish him the best but football may not be in his best interests.

My experience is that mothers know (or will believe) less about their children than about anyone else.    Hoping he can make it back but even in good health, he was a marginal NFL player and probably is not the RB he was when he left AU.  Sure was fun to watch him in 2013 and that drive against FSU...

I wish nothing but the best for Tre and his future.  If he currently has or had a brain injury related to football, there won't be an NFL team that will touch him - too much liability.

there is another aspect of this story not being discussed ...

how about ricardo louis spending time with his Auburn friend and helping him get on the right track through leadership, empathy and a common interest (sports)!  this is the type of player we should all be proud that once represented our university.

22 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he was diagnosed as bi-polar or with some other mental issue that can be managed with medication. If he has a brain injury, or that level of drug problems, I can't imagine him even trying to come back since convincing an NFL team to take that risk seems highly unlikely.

My own opinion was that Tre got hooked on painkillers. I know what those can do when abused and Tre seemed to show signs of that. Whatever it is though, I want nothing but the best for him, his health, his family, etc. If he can get back on track, I'll be rooting for him the whole way. I don't like seeing any of our guys struggle!

I hope this means that people have intervened in his life and helped him get back to his self.  I am glad that he was not abandoned by his Auburn teammate and I am proud of Ricardo for standing with him and being a true friend. Hopefully, he can find something positive to do with his life, if he can't make it in the NFL.

10 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

how about ricardo louis spending time with his Auburn friend and helping him get on the right track through leadership, empathy and a common interest (sports)!  this is the type of player we should all be proud that once represented our university.

good point.  that's true class right there.  I'm sure a lot of people abandoned Tre, and he may have pushed some away, but they're both part of the family and stuck together.

On 4/17/2017 at 10:54 AM, mustache eagle said:

War Damn Ricardo!

On 4/17/2017 at 10:19 PM, FistyMcBeefpunch said:

good point.  that's true class right there.  I'm sure a lot of people abandoned Tre, and he may have pushed some away, but they're both part of the family and stuck together.

That's actually what I thought might have been the reason he took off. In a lot of the low-res crappy interviews I watched of him... he seemed like a wide eyed kid in a lot of them. It can hit people like that hard when they get a payday and suddenly find out that to his "friends" he was simply a horse they could attach their wagon to in hopes of a payout. It can really shake people to their core when that happens.

Think Ricky Williams had said that he had a similar situation, he wanted to run away from it all, but turned to drugs (green) instead to cope. Something about a guy he thought of as a close friend cussing him out because he wouldn't buy him a house. You start having numerous situations like that, I could see how it'd skew your views of people and your life.

• 3 months later...

Praying he has overcome his issues and will be given an opportunity. Will an NFL team take a chance? Shall see. Fairly long read that is why I just posted a link.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2723599-tre-mason-nfl-rams

Write-up from Auburn 247

What happened to Tre Mason?

Tre Mason breaks his silence, but does it help him?

Tre Mason is ready to come back to football, but is football willing to welcome him back?

The former Auburn running back fell off the map over the last year-plus, with his only public showings including five police visits to his home and an ATV incident. One of the incidents led him to say police were responsible for teaching al-Qaida how to fly airplanes. His mother said he has a 10-year-old’s mindset.

Now, more than one year later, Mason has emerged from the shadows to tell Bleacher Report he is ready to return to the NFL after he was released from the Rams, who he failed to report to last offseason.

“People call Bo (Jackson) one of the best athletes of all time,” Mason tells Bleacher Report, “and I broke his record (at Auburn).”

The story progresses, however, and Mason’s charge that he is ready to return to the NFL begins to unravel. Mason is late showing up for an interview for this story in which is supposed to be about his triumphant return to football.

When asked about his al-Qaida comments he says he believes someone is “masterminding” a plan about him. But did he say it? “I don’t know,” he says. “I’m not going to say.”

Mason trains often with former Auburn teammate Ricardo Louis is south Florida. During a moment in the visit with Bleacher Report, he calls Louis. The receiver says he worked out at 4 a.m.

Masons says he can relate with his friend.

“The drudgery. Is that a word?” Mason says. “You know when you’re tired in the morning and don’t want to do something, but you do it anyways and afterward you say: ‘That feels good. I dragged myself out of bed. I’m working.’ I like that feeling.”

The article goes on to paint a different picture, however. Mason complains about the Rams breaking promises and the team drafting Georgia running back Todd Gurley, who went on to lighten Mason’s load in the offseason.

He fails to show up for a photo shoot for Bleacher Report. He says his phone was dead.

His friend Tevin Homer, a cornerback for the Washington Redskins, believes in Mason and that he has turned a corner since eliminating negative forces in his life. “Tre’s ready to get back in the league,” he tells Bleacher Report.

Mason fails to return seven texts and three phone calls from Bleacher Report after promising to finish the story and pose for a photo shoot. He never returns the messages.

And the story ends.

The question is whether Mason’s NFL story is just beginning or if the silence from 32 NFL teams will continue.

The latter seems more likely after Mason broke his silence. AuburnUndercover has learned he has also failed to return messages from former Auburn teammates and coaches.

No way an NFL team touches him after these type of stories come out. Tre did himself no favors here.

Seriously hope he gets whatever type of help he needs. Something seems not right.

16 hours ago, CR said:

No way an NFL team touches him after these type of stories come out. Tre did himself no favors here.

When I was reading the story, I found myself questioning whether Tre still has issues, or whether Bleacher Report was taking themselves way to seriously and was butt hurt when he didn't take them as seriously as they wanted to be. The fact that they thought an article they were writing was the big announcement of his "triumphant return to football" is kind of laughable. If he was going to do that, he would be talking to ESPN, not Bleacher Report.

9 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

When I was reading the story, I found myself questioning whether Tre still has issues, or whether Bleacher Report was taking themselves way to seriously and was butt hurt when he didn't take them as seriously as they wanted to be. The fact that they thought an article they were writing was the big announcement of his "triumphant return to football" is kind of laughable. If he was going to do that, he would be talking to ESPN, not Bleacher Report.

Yes they were self centered. Like they were making themselves part of the story.  But just hearing it's on the table is good enough news for me. I didn't think we'd hear much progress from his condition for a while. 

IMHO Tre Mason will not play again. His mother's statements on his health tell the whole story and it's like no one is listening. There's no telling how many blows to the head Tre sustained through out his football career but it is all cumulative. And his position at RB is one of the most susceptible to concussions. The damage from the pounding he took in NFL pushed him over the line and finished his career for good.  I don't know of any ethical neurologist who would clear him to play if he has CTE like his Mother says he does.. Tre does not have a character issue. He more than likely has significant brain damage. 

I would love to be wrong. It's very sad to think about Tre being in this situation at such a young age. I wish him the best. 

I agree with those who are concerned that there's something very wrong with him. Might be drugs, might be head trauma, might be emotional trauma. Might be all of that and more. But he did some seriously weird stuff, and also just quit on his team. There's no way around that. And he's not a Zeke Elliott or a Terrell Owens. He doesn't get to do crap like that. And maybe he doesn't take Bleacher Report seriously, but guess what? He should. Again, he's not some superstar. ESPN isn't beating down his door. Nobody outside of Auburn or Saint Louis cares.

Here was an opportunity for him to show contrition and "rebuild his brand". He didn't take that chance, and teams probably aren't going to view it positively. He needs to rethink that strategy if he honestly wants to play on a football team again. 

Like a coworker said to me today, he might get some calls once they get into the season and people start getting hurt. But he's not going to ride triumphantly back into the NFL on his white horse. Not only is he going to have to get over some hurdles, but he's going to have to stop putting them up himself. 

But yeah, good on Rico for riding with his dude. Absolutely. That's the kind of thing that can pull a person through some dark times. Fingers crossed his problems aren't permanent. 

Archived