2017 Juco Combo Guard Malik Dunbar commits to AU

Charhair

30 minutes ago, cole256 said:

The point of playing him at 4 was supposed to stretch, meaning the defense, as a first year player you're telling him he has to shoot at LEAST a moderate amount of 3's for defenses to even have a scouting report to respect him as an outside shooter

Trust you on that....some of those details are beyond me....But early on he was definitely a 3 point threat...though not sure why he needed to be outside since to start the year we did not have an inside game to worry about and seemed that a guy his size going inside with a drive was an advantage...but :dunno:   just seemed we wasted his size and his ability to draw fouls which for him was almost a sure  2 points.  

So what is your projection for DP this season?

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

The point of playing him at 4 was supposed to stretch, meaning the defense, as a first year player you're telling him he has to shoot at LEAST a moderate amount of 3's for defenses to even have a scouting report to respect him as an outside shooter

To add to this the staff flat out took the idea of slashing away from DP & I'm not sure why. Slashing was his strength out of high school. Him driving would be a mismatch nightmare for 4s to defend. I honestly thought that's why the staff put him at the 4.

Regardless of whether DP was playing at the 3 or 4 ... I never understood why he didn't drive to the basket more.  He really hardly ever did.  Seemed heron, Dunnans, RJ and squirt were the only ones who did.  Heck, I think spencer "drove" to the basket as much as DP did and he missed half the season.

i could only assume DP didn't want to.  But are y'all saying he was directed NOT to.  That is crazyiness if so.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

Regardless of whether DP was playing at the 3 or 4 ... I never understood why he didn't drive to the basket more.  He really hardly ever did.  Seemed heron, Dunnans, RJ and squirt were the only ones who did.  Heck, I think spencer "drove" to the basket as much as DP did and he missed half the season.

i could only assume DP didn't want to.  But are y'all saying he was directed NOT to.  That is crazyiness if so.

Given other decisions the staff made last year it's very possible. Last season was not their best coaching.

After the ankle injury I could see him being gun shy to drive but he wasn't even driving before the injury.

Edited by ellitor

Well as you know I preferred him at the 3 but I at least thought they would try him out at point forward a little. And I have a theory but it's JUST a theory I haven't talked to anyone but this is what I'd had done if I was playing us.

Since everybody on our team were specialized and NOBODY offered a well rounded game....(actually maybe Herron but only him) it allowed teams to not have to prepare for the possibility of things like Purifoy driving, or brown driving or any of the guards posting and only one big man who tried to play with his back to the basket. Sort of like our offense in football....in theory we were supposed to be setting up for play action but EVERYBODY knew on first down we were running. I think people matched up with our personnel accordingly and exploited our weaknesses. Example. DP is open on corner big man is covering Spencer once DP gets the ball one guard comes down a little the big man comes out a little and the weak side big man rotates to middle of the paint. Weak spot is the middle, another big man in the paint now has a clear side if we get the ball to him. Maybe the big guy that went out extends out even more because he knows Spenser is down in the paint and isn't a scorer...something like that.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cole256 said:

Well as you know I preferred him at the 3 but I at least thought they would try him out at point forward a little. And I have a theory but it's JUST a theory I haven't talked to anyone but this is what I'd had done if I was playing us.

Since everybody on our team were specialized and NOBODY offered a well rounded game....(actually maybe Herron but only him) it allowed teams to not have to prepare for the possibility of things like Purifoy driving, or brown driving or any of the guards posting and only one big man who tried to play with his back to the basket. Sort of like our offense in football....in theory we were supposed to be setting up for play action but EVERYBODY knew on first down we were running. I think people matched up with our personnel accordingly and exploited our weaknesses. Example. DP is open on corner big man is covering Spencer once DP gets the ball one guard comes down a little the big man comes out a little and the weak side big man rotates to middle of the paint. Weak spot is the middle, another big man in the paint now has a clear side if we get the ball to him. Maybe the big guy that went out extends out even more because he knows Spenser is down in the paint and isn't a scorer...something like that.

Good theory and thanks for the clear analogy. That makes sense to me. 

On 4/18/2017 at 1:26 PM, cole256 said:

Couldn't agree with you more. In some cases it is because they player could only do one thing in other cases it is because they only did one thing.  Brown is a pure shooter but when he tries to drive and create he often has his pocket picked so in his case he is a pure shooter. In Purifoy's case it is more about what he does not what he is capable of. In HS he was more of a slash and drive player and he actually showed when he was completely healthy that he could slash and drive however he settles for the three point shot to often he did that before the ankle sprain and even more so after.

The reason Dunans was so good at times is he was a more balanced scorer. He hit some 3's he drove and scored, he drove and passed, and even drove and pulled up. He was less predictable. When he played within himself he was a very good player and a true asset to this team. He also was high energy even though at times he was high energy without purpose. He is going to be very hard to replace.

Wiley catch in the paint and dunk or layup. He needs to add to his offensive game and his conditioning.

Basically last year we had Herron with multi-faceted offensive game, Dunans not as consistent as Herron with multi-faceted offensive game, Purifoy who could have multi-faceted game but settled for the 3 and the balance one dimensional offense game some like Brown Shooter some like Wiley down low only.

A player like Brown who plays pretty good one on one D and can shoot the 3 can be a real asset as long as he keeps moving to open spaces and the ball is worked to give him open looks. Problem was we didn't pass enough and our PG's looked to score instead of setting up other players. When I say we didn't pass enough it also means we didn't do the right type of passing. We need to hit people in the key from there a player can shoot if Open, Drive if being closed on to quickly or pass to either side of the floor as you are in the middle wher you don't have to pass to somebody on other side of the floor.

Cole thanks for your observations you are always on point.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 1

On 4/18/2017 at 1:26 PM, cole256 said:

I believe Mustapaha does. He needs to take charge more, in my opinion, and hopefully we see more of it his soph season. 

He can dribble, drive, shoot and pass and does all of them fairly well (at the least). If this team can depend on Heron to get the ball to the hoop/get the ball to Wiley (or anyone else) for easy dunks when we are stagnant it will be huge. 

I feel like Heron's disappearances in the second halves of a few games did a lot to the team in terms of how flat we played some second halves. If heron can start closing games for us, we're in good hands.

• 2 weeks later...

Thx for video. He looks very strong but not terribly quick. Not sure what "combo" entails but my guess is he is a 3. Maybe a 2/3 or 3/4 but not a 1 at all. 

7 hours ago, alexava said:

Thx for video. He looks very strong but not terribly quick. Not sure what "combo" entails but my guess is he is a 3. Maybe a 2/3 or 3/4 but not a 1 at all. 

2/e combo like Dunnans was.

If he can give us a few minutes handling the rock while our true freshman and true sophomore PGs will inevitably fight through inconsistencies it will be huge. So @alexava's post doesn't make me feel great about it but he looks like he could be a big help for us.

13 minutes ago, Tiger said:

If he can give us a few minutes handling the rock while our true freshman and true sophomore PGs will inevitably fight through inconsistencies it will be huge. So @alexava's post doesn't make me feel great about it but he looks like he could be a big help for us.

Don't think he's expected to play any point role.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Don't think he's expected to play any point role.

Yikes. I'm getting ever so slightly worried about next year because of the big holes we will have personnel-wise.

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

Yikes. I'm getting ever so slightly worried about next year because of the big holes we will have personnel-wise.

If Davion & Chuma come in and be what they have the potential to be plus Murray & Dunbar bring toughness then there may not  be big personnel holes.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

If Davion & Chuma come in and be what they have the potential to be plus Murray & Dunbar bring toughness then there may not  be big personnel holes.

I know what you mean and in an ideal world I am holding out hope. But IMO we will still struggle on the boards mightily again with next years group and our PG unit being so young is a detriment rather than a positive IMO. I hope we can get a legitimate rebounder through the grad-transfer ranks and somehow somebody falls out of the sky that can handle the PG spot for a few minutes per game. I hope Chuma, Murray, and Dunbar can all defend though because that will be a boost from last year. I will settle for better defense and still have deficiencies at PG and rebounding. I understand it's a process and damn near impossible to fill all our holes over the span of 1 off-season.

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

I know what you mean and in an ideal world I am holding out hope. But IMO we will still struggle on the boards mightily again with next years group and our PG unit being so young is a detriment rather than a positive IMO. I hope we can get a legitimate rebounder through the grad-transfer ranks and somehow somebody falls out of the sky that can handle the PG spot for a few minutes per game. I hope Chuma, Murray, and Dunbar can all defend though because that will be a boost from last year. I will settle for better defense and still have deficiencies at PG and rebounding. I understand it's a process and damn near impossible to fill all our holes over the span of 1 off-season.

We have 2 scholly spots open for next year but Bruce may only use of of them and may not use either one. He's planning to hold one off for next class and maybe both. We may have all we are going to get.

I think Davion is an upgrade at the point. I do expect him to take some bad shots because that's normal but I also expect him to show more offensive awareness than Harper & get people involved more. He also has a much stronger body that should make him more effective drivin & dishin that Jared was. I expect Chuma to be a good rebounder the moment he steps on the floor.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

We have 2 scholly spots open for next year but Bruce may only use of of them and may not use either one. He's planning to hold one off for next class and maybe both. We may have all we are going to get.

I think Davion is an upgrade at the point. I do expect him to take some bad shots because that's normal but I also expect him to show more offensive awareness than Harper & get people involved more. He also has a much stronger body that should make him more effective drivin & dishin that Jared was. I expect Chuma to be a good rebounder the moment he steps on the floor.

I'm not familiar with his game other than his HS highlights (which can be deceiving) so I am realllllly hoping you're right on the bold!

Edited by Tiger

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

I really thought we would go after a big GT but I did some research last week. Sorry I forgot to save the link and it basically had a breakdown of all the GT or transfers that could play immediately and the few big men who looked like they might have been able to help were already committed to other teams. Most of the big men just didn't look that good.  So unless a big foreign player just falls into our lap.  I think we are better off saving both of those for next year which is similar to what you were saying E.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Seems like we might be overloading at this position ?   ...or not.  ?

18 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Seems like we might be overloading at this position ?   ...or not.  ?

He's replacing Dunnans & hopefully adding toughness.

9 hours ago, ellitor said:

He's replacing Dunnans & hopefully adding toughness.

I was thinking of the Umass guy..and seems there was another too.

12 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I was thinking of the Umass guy..and seems there was another too.

A bit different skills set. The kid from UMass is a ball handler & is accustomed to play some point.