Men schedule Dayton series

ellitor

Not sure what the gain is playing them H and H....an often under rated team but you have to be a pretty serious basketball fan to give them much respect.  Would have thought some U of 'State Name' would have been a better plan...but maybe not possible.

13 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Not sure what the gain is playing them H and H....an often under rated team but you have to be a pretty serious basketball fan to give them much respect.  Would have thought some U of 'State Name' would have been a better plan...but maybe not possible.

The gain is a nice RPI boost. Dayton is always a quality play. They are tough as hell at home and frequently make the tourney or just miss it for the NIT. You don't have to be a serious basketball fan to give them much respect. Go look at the teams they have beaten, especially at home over the years. They made the NCAA tourney last year in fact and their RPI was #36. They are a slam dunk in terms of being a quality opponent. 

9 minutes ago, ellitor said:

The gain is a nice RPI boost. Dayton is always a quality play. They are tough as hell at home and frequently make the tourney or just miss it for the NIT. You don't have to be a serious basketball fan to give them much respect. Go look at the teams they have beaten, especially at home over the years. They made the NCAA tourney last year in fact and their RPI was #36. They are a slam dunk in terms of being a quality opponent. 

I know they are a good team but I'm back to general perception....and was thinking that we do more for their schedule than the other way around.....

But...after looking at the RPI of our schedule this past season....and SEC before the NCAA.....looks like about anyone we could find who would play us had the chance of stepping up our SOS.  It will be interesting to see what they have after Archie Miller is gone.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/teams/rpi/AUBURN/auburn-tigers

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

I know they are a good team but I'm back to general perception....and was thinking that we do more for their schedule than the other way around.....

Don't worry about perception. Rule of thumb is if the team finished in the RPI top 100 each of the past few years then they are likely to be a quality RPI opponent. That & winning enough games, especially on the road & neutral sites are all that matters in AU reaching our goal of NCAA Tourney play.

I consider myself to be a casual basketball fan, at best.  I know that Dayton is typically a respectable opponent year in and year out.  AU64, I understand your concern as we try to grow our program but I think the average fan would see it that way.  

Archived