Protests in Auburn Tonight

Proud Tiger

Looks like there will be some protests going on in Auburn tonight over the possible appearance of Richard Spencer. Calls have gone ot via e-mails for people elsewhere to show up. Hope it don't nasty or violent. I would really be pissed to see some protester break some windows. I'm going to go over and see how it goes. I have no use for the guy or his trash but do believe in free speech.

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/04/white_supremacist_richard_spen.html#incart_river_index

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep yourself safe going out there. Hope everyone keeps the protests calm and classy.

2 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

Keep yourself safe going out there. Hope everyone keeps the protests calm and classy.

Thanks, I plan to. Besides my wife said if I got arrested she wasn't going to bail me out (LOL).

I am like you I have no problem with allowing him to speak but from what I read I disagree with everything he stands for. I also have no problem for people coming and protesting as that is also free speech to let people know what you thing about his ideas. What I have a problem with is a protest becoming violent. I hope lots off people come and portest peacefully and that neither side turns to violence.

33 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I am like you I have no problem with allowing him to speak but from what I read I disagree with everything he stands for. I also have no problem for people coming and protesting as that is also free speech to let people know what you thing about his ideas. What I have a problem with is a protest becoming violent. I hope lots off people come and portest peacefully and that neither side turns to violence.

I just don't like outside protesters coining in.They are usually the ones who start the trouble. It's a local issue and should be kept that way IMO

All the minorities should go to see who's there supporting and not say a word. I'd be ecstatic with this. Worst part of the entire thing when you're black is you don't know who's for you and who's against you  it's like walking around in the matrix

44 minutes ago, cole256 said:

All the minorities should go to see who's there supporting and not say a word. I'd be ecstatic with this. Worst part of the entire thing when you're black is you don't know who's for you and who's against you  it's like walking around in the matrix

That would be perfect.  Wear t-shirts that say "I'm just here to see who my real friends are."

57 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Isn't that the truth.  I have watched it all my life.

2 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Probably Richard Spencer, considering the link he posted. 

Thanks. I thougt maybe he was referring to me because I started the thread.

I went to the outside protest tonight and then went in to hear Spenser. I went just observe in hopes things would be peaceful and not a lot of outside protesters. I also went in to hear Spencer just to see how things went. There were at least 1500 outside and a full capacity (500?) inside. Spencer had his supporters and detractors both inside and outside. i was very pleased with the crowd (mostly students) in both places. I don't agree with much of anything Spencer spouts but I am a believer in free speech. His speech started off OK but soon deteriorated into a racist rant. There were several young blacks sitting behind me. They got a little rowdy at first and I gave the a bad look. I later told them I wasn't supporting Spencer but just free speech . As I left I told them I loved them as well as all peaceful and civil people regardless of race. We shook hands and exchanged high fives. In summary I was really pleased with the behavior of the Auburn students and that there was only one incident outside  (three arrested for fighting).

12 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Thanks. I thougt maybe he was referring to me because I started the thread.

✌️

1 minute ago, Proud Tiger said:

I went to the outside protest tonight and then went in to hear Spenser. I went just observe in hopes things would be peaceful and not a lot of outside protesters. I also went in to hear Spencer just to see how things went. There were at least 1500 outside and a full capacity (500?) inside. Spencer had his supporters and detractors both inside and outside. i was very pleased with the crowd (mostly students) in both places. I don't agree with much of anything Spencer spouts but I am a believer in free speech. His speech started off OK but soon deteriorated into a racist rant. There were several young blacks sitting behind me. They got a little rowdy at first and I gave the a bad look. I later told them I wasn't supporting Spencer but just free speech . As I left I told them I loved them as well as all peaceful and civil people. We shook hands and exchanged high fives. In summary I was really pleased with the behavior of the Auburn students and that there was only one incident outside  (three arrested for fighting).

The video of that fight looked staged. 

19 minutes ago, alexava said:

The video of that fight looked staged. 

I didn't see it but natuarly it was in the highlight films on the late TV news shows. I wish our forum here could be as civil as what I saw of things tonight. I would only add that the people I am disgusted with are the AU PTB for blowing this whole thing out of proportion and ending up with a judge ruling in favor of Spencer's right to speak on campus. Sometimes Auburn people are our own worst enemy.

8 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

I didn't see it but natuarly it was in the highlight films on the late TV news shows. I wish our forum here could be as civil as what I saw of things tonight. I would only add that the people I am disgusted with are the AU PTB for blowing this whole thing out of proportion and ending up with a judge ruling in favor of Spencer's right to speak on campus. Sometimes Auburn people are our own worst enemy.

I don't think there has ever been a fistfight in the forums. :)

The double edged sword of freedom of speech, all the idiots get it too.

Serious question.  Did the athletic department mute all the coaches on this situation?  Seems to me this would have been a perfect opportunity to show solidarity and to be one with their minority athletes/coaches/alumni against a man who sees them as being less than equal human beings.

3 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Serious question.  Did the athletic department mute all the coaches on this situation?  Seems to me this would have been a perfect opportunity to show solidarity and to be one with their minority athletes/coaches/alumni against a man who sees them as being less than equal human beings.

My guess is that they decided to give him as little publicity as they possibly could.  It's sort of like those times where a bunch of hardcore conservative Christians get all up in arms over some TV show or movie that most people wouldn't have even known existed.  If they'd lay low, it would likely die on its own, but because they raise a ruckus and call for boycotts and such, now it gets all this free pub and piques people's curiosity.

5 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

My guess is that they decided to give him as little publicity as they possibly could.  It's sort of like those times where a bunch of hardcore conservative Christians get all up in arms over some TV show or movie that most people wouldn't have even known existed.  If they'd lay low, it would likely die on its own, but because they raise a ruckus and call for boycotts and such, now it gets all this free pub and piques people's curiosity.

Thank you!  The last thing I want to hear/see on the news is an Auburn coach from any sport making a public statement about what should have been a low key speech by a radical on our campus.  Best just to let this water run under the bridge, folks will forget all about it by the weekend anyway.

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

This all makes sense, but the opportunity to publicly make a stand could have come with great benefits

7 minutes ago, keesler said:

Thank you!  The last thing I want to hear/see on the news is an Auburn coach from any sport making a public statement about what should have been a low key speech by a radical on our campus.  Best just to let this water run under the bridge, folks will forget all about it by the weekend anyway.

This was never gonna be a low key speech, that is not how it works.

Just now, auburnphan said:

This all makes sense, but the opportunity to publicly make a stand could have come with great benefits

I guess you have to weigh how great those benefits would be balanced against the downside of giving him a more publicity.

Just now, TitanTiger said:

I guess you have to weigh how great those benefits would be balanced against the downside of giving him a more publicity.

Agree

That is why I have doubts about the people who claim they don't support his views but attended in support of free speech. You know exactly what he is spewing you either support it or you are too damn nosey. If nobody pays to listen to his BS he quits spreading it. If asked the coaches should act like they knew nothing about it or just recommended the players not attend. If I was coach I would have taken all the players to a movie or the bowling alley for the evening. 

54 minutes ago, alexava said:

That is why I have doubts about the people who claim they don't support his views but attended in support of free speech. You know exactly what he is spewing you either support it or you are too damn nosey. If nobody pays to listen to his BS he quits spreading it. If asked the coaches should act like they knew nothing about it or just recommended the players not attend. If I was coach I would have taken all the players to a movie or the bowling alley for the evening. 

I assume you mean me since I am the only one here who apparently attended. Yes I do support free speech but due to court ruling he had that without me or anyone else who attended. I went mostly to observe and hope our students and others were well behaved and didn't cause us a black eye, and also to set an example of peaceful attendance. My interaction with the black people (students) to share with them that I didn't agree with the guy made it worth my going.  I guess your comments also apply to them.

Archived