Protests in Auburn Tonight

Proud Tiger

1 hour ago, alexava said:

That is why I have doubts about the people who claim they don't support his views but attended in support of free speech. You know exactly what he is spewing you either support it or you are too damn nosey. If nobody pays to listen to his BS he quits spreading it. If asked the coaches should act like they knew nothing about it or just recommended the players not attend. If I was coach I would have taken all the players to a movie or the bowling alley for the evening. 

I could see myself choosing to attend to see for myself what he's actually saying, how he says it and observe how the audience reacts to it.  More than likely I'd steer clear just because who knows what some wacko might do in there, but I don't think it's a reason to doubt someone's motives.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

I could see myself choosing to attend to see for myself what he's actually saying, how he says it and observe how the audience reacts to it.  More than likely I'd steer clear just because who knows what some wacko might do in there, but I don't think it's a reason to doubt someone's motives.

Thank you.

2 hours ago, auburnphan said:

This all makes sense, but the opportunity to publicly make a stand could have come with great benefits

I feel like the public statement/stand made by AU was sufficient enough to cover the entirety of Auburn University including but not limited to the football program.

"We strongly deplore his views, which run counter to those of this institution."

3 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

My guess is that they decided to give him as little publicity as they possibly could.  It's sort of like those times where a bunch of hardcore conservative Christians get all up in arms over some TV show or movie that most people wouldn't have even known existed.  If they'd lay low, it would likely die on its own, but because they raise a ruckus and call for boycotts and such, now it gets all this free pub and piques people's curiosity.

We have Barbara Streisand to thank for naming that particular effect.

9 minutes ago, keesler said:

I feel like the public statement/stand made by AU was sufficient enough to cover the entirety of Auburn University including but not limited to the football program.

"We strongly deplore his views, which run counter to those of this institution."

I agree. I just wish they hadn't made such a big deal of trying to cancel it to start with. None of my neighbors even knew about it until all the ruckus hit the media.

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

I would have been tempted to go for the same reasons people are tempted to look at a car wreck.

I understand a lot of wrecks happen due to nosey rubbernecks. Curiosity has been known to get cats killed. Still every paid admission is just fueling his movement. I can't be his life line. Starve him out. 

32 minutes ago, alexava said:

I understand a lot of wrecks happen due to nosey rubbernecks. Curiosity has been known to get cats killed. Still every paid admission is just fueling his movement. I can't be his life line. Starve him out. 

There was no charge for admission.

1 hour ago, alexava said:

I am fascinated by watching Hitler's speeches too, but I don't think I am susceptible to them.

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

I am fascinated by watching Hitler's speeches too, but I don't think I am susceptible to them.

But today's AU students are apparently too gullible to watch someone like this guy and not fall under his spell....so better keep them away from the History Channel and "The Rise of Hitler" or the next thing you know they will be speaking German and wearing brown shirts to class.

Otherwise, glad the violence was limited...now it's done....AU apparently did not make the news outside of the state over this performance....congrats to everyone at AU for keeping their heads and not letting outsiders use the school as a staging ground to gather sympathy for their radical views.

32 minutes ago, AU64 said:

But today's AU students are apparently too gullible to watch someone like this guy and not fall under his spell....so better keep them away from the History Channel and "The Rise of Hitler" or the next thing you know they will be speaking German and wearing brown shirts to class.

Otherwise, glad the violence was limited...now it's done....AU apparently did not make the news outside of the state over this performance....congrats to everyone at AU for keeping their heads and not letting outsiders use the school as a staging ground to gather sympathy for their radical views.

It was on the front page of CNN.com and in the New York Times opinion section.

16 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

It was on the front page of CNN.com and in the New York Times opinion section.

His Google is still broke. 

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

I didn't mean fall susceptible. I meant get caught up in the possible violence, or be the financial backer that continues the movement you ( not you individually but everyone who denounces him yet shows up to his speech) claim not to support. 

20 minutes ago, alexava said:

His Google is still broke. 

Don't read either of those....and wondering why they are giving that A-H national publicity

Though CNN....did not realize they were still in business. But when I looked on the site there was nothing about AU that anyone not looking could have found...but I did notice that Aaron Hernandez was not a monster just a troubled man who happened to murder a few people in cold blood and that Marines are banned from sharing nudes....thought I might have been reading the National Enquirer.  

My Google found all that stuff about ACA insurors going broke that you might have missed though.

12 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Don't read either of those....and wondering why they are giving that A-H national publicity

Though CNN....did not realize they were still in business. But when I looked on the site there was nothing about AU that anyone not looking could have found...but I did notice that Aaron Hernandez was not a monster just a troubled man who happened to murder a few people in cold blood and that Marines are banned from sharing nudes....thought I might have been reading the National Enquirer.  

My Google found all that stuff about ACA insurors going broke that you might have missed though.

Well the NYT ran an opinion piece from a law professor about freedom of speech rights.  He actually said that AU got it right the first time, but screwed up by trying to deny the speaker a forum.

As for CNN, they are actually garnering their highest ratings in years.  Alive and well.

6 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Well the NYT ran an opinion piece from a law professor about freedom of speech rights.  He actually said that AU got it right the first time, but screwed up by trying to deny the speaker a forum.

As for CNN, they are actually garnering their highest ratings in years.  Alive and well.

As I noted...I'm proud of how AU handled it....despite what I'm sure was a passionate desire by national media to show lots of violence, rock throwing and general mayhem, all they got were a couple of goons with bloody noses / heads.  

Winner:  Auburn University....Good job by the AU police and administration and students.

Loser:  Spencer and the national media..

http://medialifemagazine.com/this-weeks-cable-ratings/

CNN...doing better...but still down the list behind stations airing home and garden shows and re-runs.  And as I noted, their web site looks like National Enquirer....a total mess of non-serious news JMO...but since I'm not viewing them, people like me actually do matter. 

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

As I noted...I'm proud of how AU handled it....despite what I'm sure was a passionate desire by national media to show lots of violence, rock throwing and general mayhem, all they got were a couple of goons with bloody noses / heads.  

Winner:  Auburn University....Good job by the AU police and administration and students.

Loser:  Spencer and the national media..

http://medialifemagazine.com/this-weeks-cable-ratings/

CNN...doing better...but still down the list behind stations airing home and garden shows and re-runs.  And as I noted, their web site looks like National Enquirer....a total mess of non-serious news JMO...but since I'm not viewing them, people like me actually do matter. 

Right on. But I would only add that in the end after a court order AU handled it well. But IMO they screwed up earlier by deciding not to let him speak because of safety concerns..

2 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Right on. But I would only add that in the end after a court order AU handled it well. But IMO they screwed up earlier by deciding not to let him speak because of safety concerns..

I agree, and I don´t understand how others can say they´re proud of how AU administration handled it. They wussed out, went PC, and tried to cancel the event. That´s embarrassing, IMO.

4 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

JMO but I expect they were playing both sides....and expected that a court would overturn their decision ....which would pretty well take responsibility for any problems that might subsequently occurred out of their hands.  

3 minutes ago, Dan-0 said:

I agree, and I don´t understand how others can say they´re proud of how AU administration handled it. They wussed out, went PC, and tried to cancel the event. That´s embarrassing, IMO.

Might have been nice to stand their ground ....but was not the smart thing to do IMO....school did what it felt was necessary to discourage more out of town thugs....not a Patrick Henry moment ....but does anyone out there really think that AU is any less PC than the typical large university? 

1 minute ago, alexava said:

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/04/auburn_police_identify_the_3_p.html

here are the two morons that fought. Which side was each on. Plus a dude that looks like a lady? 

And the coward in black throwing a water bottle at them.

10 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

I don't know though, if the people doing that are the same people that were super upset and wouldn't even watch another NFL game when kapernick wouldn't pledge wouldn't that be a little backwards?

10 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

There was no charge for admission.

I didn't know that. Still he wouldn't go speak to an empty room. 

7 hours ago, cole256 said:

I don't know though, if the people doing that are the same people that were super upset and wouldn't even watch another NFL game when kapernick wouldn't pledge wouldn't that be a little backwards?

Of course.  I'm just saying that there are some who would go just to see what he's actually saying and doing and to observe the crowd and such.  Going to hear him doesn't necessarily imply agreement or sympathy for his views.

Archived