Bill O'Reilly out at Fox

AUDub

The Murdochs have decided Bill O’Reilly’s 21-year run at Fox News will come to an end. According to sources briefed on the discussions, network executives are preparing to announce O’Reilly’s departure before he returns from an Italian vacation on April 24. Now the big questions are how the exit will look and who will replace him.

Link

I'll bet Jon Stewart is devastated. 

Wonder where he goes from here. Radio? Focus on his books? Go the Beck route and start his own network? Quietly into retirement?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The funny thing is, even though hardcore fans and Fox News cheerleaders will blame a liberal conspiracy, he was taken down by his own behavior.  

27 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

The funny thing is, even though hardcore fans and Fox News cheerleaders will blame a liberal conspiracy, he was taken down by his own behavior.  

Not according to trump. Hell he might give him bannons spot. 

36 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Yeah read the comments 

Big mistake by the FOX PTB IMHO. O'Reilly is the cornerstone of their ratings. I doubt anyone can capture his full audience.

Just now, Proud Tiger said:

Big mistake by the FOX PTB IMHO. O'Reilly is the cornerstone of their ratings. I doubt anyone can capture his full audience.

So, regardless of his reprehensible behavior, Fox should stick with him because he's got a following?

2 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

I haven't seen any specifics or proof of reprehensible behavior. Have proof?

Do you think Fox is in the habit of firing people who are making them hundreds of millions of dollars a year, and whose ratings have not dropped due to this controversy, over no proof?  Does that company strike you as some sort of self-flagellating masochist that loves cutting off easy money?

You are speculating but not offering the proof you often ridigidly require.

O'Reilly has paid over $13 million over the years in settlements to cover the stories of his harassment escapades up. That's a lot of money to pay to some "liars", especially for someone who says he has the truth on their side. FOX has been losing advertisers as a result. The allegations and the settlements weren't very recent but we know about it now because the New York Times recently did some investigating.

You are speculating but not offering the proof you often ridigidly require.

I am not privy to all those details, pedant.  But here's one story that sums up a lot of it:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/01/business/media/bill-oreilly-sexual-harassment-fox-news.html?_r=0

I have heard the allegations.  I've read a good bit of the available testimony.  I'm aware of the numerous settlements over the years.  And I also know that Fox News has been conducting an extensive internal investigation.  Logic would dictate that in a situation where their highest rated commentator is accused, and the controversy has not dented his ratings, and they are making 100s of millions of dollars a year off his program, that they would not force him out unless they had enough proof to believe he's done what he's accused of, at least in most of the cases.  Maybe you are gullible enough to think that Fox is some naive, self-defeating bunch that flinches everytime some liberal hurls an accusation at one of its golden gooses, but I'm not.  Use your head, man.  You wouldn't need half this much proof to believe it if the accusations were about Keith Olbermann or Chris Cuomo.

Just now, Bigbens42 said:

O'Reilly has paid over $13 million over the years in settlements to cover the stories of his harassment escapades up. That's a lot of money to pay to some "liars", especially for someone who says he has the truth on their side. FOX has been losing advertisers as a result. The allegations and the settlements weren't very recent but we know about it now because the New York Times recently did some investigating.

Look I am not defending O'Reilly. Yes I have heard about thes allegations ans settlements but have seen no proof of actual wrong doing by him with and specific woman. We all know that women will make such allegations in hopes of getting a settlement without proof of guilt. That was recently the case in all the women who accused Trump. They didn't get anything and didn't pursue going to court to convict him of anything.

Look I am not defending O'Reilly. Yes I have heard about thes allegations ans settlements but have seen no proof of actual wrong doing by him with and specific woman. We all know that women will make such allegations in hopes of getting a settlement without proof of guilt. That was recently the case in all the women who accused Trump. They didn't get anything and didn't pursue going to court to convict him of anything.

Then by the same line of thought...since you don't know the results of Fox's investigation, how could you possibly declare that this is a big mistake on their part?  Do you have some proof that shows their conclusions are off?

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I am not privy to all those details, pedant.  But here's one story that sums up a lot of it:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/01/business/media/bill-oreilly-sexual-harassment-fox-news.html?_r=0

I have heard the allegations.  I've read a good bit of the available testimony.  I'm aware of the numerous settlements over the years.  And I also know that Fox News has been conducting an extensive internal investigation.  Logic would dictate that in a situation where their highest rated commentator is accused, and the controversy has not dented his ratings, and they are making 100s of millions of dollars a year off his program, that they would not force him out unless they had enough proof to believe he's done what he's accused of, at least in most of the cases.  Maybe you are gullible enough to think that Fox is some naive, self-defeating bunch that flinches everytime some liberal hurls an accusation at one of its golden gooses, but I'm not.  Use your head, man.  You wouldn't need half this much proof to believe it if the accusations were about Keith Olbermann or Chris Cuomo.

That is a lot of logic but still no proof YOU have. I would bet FOX has more but you are presuming not offering proof of what you say as you chastise me for sometime..

4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Then by the same line of thought...since you don't know the results of Fox's investigation, how could you possibly declare that this is a big mistake on their part?  Do you have some proof that shows their conclusions are off?

Oh so now you want me to offer proof supporting an OPINION but you offer no proof for your statement.

1 minute ago, Proud Tiger said:

Oh so now you want me to offer proof supporting an opinion but you offer no proof for your statement.

No, I'm simply pointing out that you're using a line of argumentation and logic you magically think you are immune from.  

And I think you avoid giving proof of your claim and now dance rather than simply saying it was an opinion and not fact. End of argument on my side since you will go on and on and I have better things to do.

4 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

That is a lot of logic but still no proof YOU have. I would bet FOX has more but you are presuming not offering proof of what you say as you chastise me for sometime..

Look, PT.  None of us has conclusive proof.  I get that.  But we do have known facts.  We do have the reactions of the players.  We do have basic common sense and a 20+ year history of how Fox News (not to mention virtually any other major corporation) acts.  They act in their own best interests.  So I am just not gullible enough to believe that Fox would kill off a money printing machine like O'Reilly unless what they found was too much to allow them to stand by him.  Believe what you want, but to say it was a mistake is ridiculous.  There's no way you could possibly know such a thing and it defies common sense.

37 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

That says a lot about Fox viewers.

At least my family won't be subject to his propaganda anymore, not that someone won't take his place.

18 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

And I think you avoid giving proof of your claim and now dance rather than simply saying it was an opinion and not fact. End of argument on my side since you will go on and on and I have better things to do.

Where are you getting this idea that everyone is privy to all of the details?

Are you suggesting he is innocent of all charges?

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

So, regardless of his reprehensible behavior, Fox should stick with him because he's got a following?

Nope...i"m not sad to see him gone...I generally like Fox but had more than enough of his arrogance and often watched the first few minutes to see what he though was important for the day.....but not much beyond that. 

Turns out his on-air arrogance was a true indication of his personal style....I did wonder why he never mentioned a wife or kids in all the times I have seen him...too caught up in himself.    That said, lots of major networks put up with stupidity and outrageous behavior from popular on-air personalities but the the red line in the sand these days is sexual harassment or domestic violence.   There are no exceptions and pretty much no forgiveness.

Especially when it affects advertisers...and revenue

1 hour ago, Proud Tiger said:

All the women? All?

Even the one where he specifically admitted to moving on like a bit#$?

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Nope...i"m not sad to see him gone...I generally like Fox but had more than enough of his arrogance and often watched the first few minutes to see what he though was important for the day.....but not much beyond that. 

Turns out his on-air arrogance was a true indication of his personal style....I did wonder why he never mentioned a wife or kids in all the times I have seen him...too caught up in himself.    That said, lots of major networks put up with stupidity and outrageous behavior from popular on-air personalities but the the red line in the sand these days is sexual harassment or domestic violence.   There are no exceptions and pretty much no forgiveness.

Especially when it affects advertisers...and revenue

That is doubly true for Fox in particular, given the recent resignation of Ailes over the same thing.

Archived