Bill O'Reilly out at Fox

AUDub

17 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Nope...i"m not sad to see him gone...I generally like Fox but had more than enough of his arrogance and often watched the first few minutes to see what he though was important for the day.....but not much beyond that. 

Turns out his on-air arrogance was a true indication of his personal style....I did wonder why he never mentioned a wife or kids in all the times I have seen him...too caught up in himself.    That said, lots of major networks put up with stupidity and outrageous behavior from popular on-air personalities but the the red line in the sand these days is sexual harassment or domestic violence.   There are no exceptions and pretty much no forgiveness.

Especially when it affects advertisers...and revenue

Let's face it.  It's your last sentence that really carries the weight.   ;D

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Let's face it.  It's your last sentence that really carries the weight.   ;D

yep....in the end it's about business after all....which also explains why guys like Al Sharpton stay on the air....nothing he can say or do will matter to his audience or advertisers IMO....because it's business...

O'Reilly is denying the accusations. I suppose that is normal  but it will be interesting to see how this all unfolds as time goes on. It is a different world today in this area. Anyone in a senior position has to be more careful than ever. I never had any complaints against me but looking back and thinking about a lot of joking around stuff, I wouldn't dare do it today.

6 hours ago, AU64 said:

Nope...i"m not sad to see him gone...I generally like Fox but had more than enough of his arrogance and often watched the first few minutes to see what he though was important for the day.....but not much beyond that. 

Turns out his on-air arrogance was a true indication of his personal style....I did wonder why he never mentioned a wife or kids in all the times I have seen him...too caught up in himself.    That said, lots of major networks put up with stupidity and outrageous behavior from popular on-air personalities but the the red line in the sand these days is sexual harassment or domestic violence.   There are no exceptions and pretty much no forgiveness.

Especially when it affects advertisers...and revenue

Couldn't agree with you more. I like Fox News too, but he was arrogant and a blow-hard. Fox made the right move.

20 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

This article has some actual court documents on one of the sexual harassment cases:

http://www.dcclothesline.com/2014/07/28/bill-oreilly-sexual-harassment-case-fox-news-wants-forget/

c0c1206326ef237ee801568002e718b7_eww-and

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

This article has some actual court documents on one of the sexual harassment cases:

http://www.dcclothesline.com/2014/07/28/bill-oreilly-sexual-harassment-case-fox-news-wants-forget/

I have no idea the truth of all this but it sounds hard to believe O'Reilly is such a sex pervert. I wonder what the outcome of this court case was. It seems to be a "she said, he said" drama. Things I wonder about:

1. Why did it take 25 years for this to surface? With as many detractors as O'Reilly has it is amazing it didn't surface before now.

2. Why didn't Mackris's girlfriend who was with them at least once testify in the court case?

2 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

I have no idea the truth of all this but it sounds hard to believe O'Reilly is such a sex pervert.

Why?

I wonder what the outcome of this court case was.

He settled it within 16 days of her filing it.  

It seems to be a "she said, he said" drama.

She claims to have had some tapes.  He settled before it could go to trial.  

But to that end...if a perv is always careful to do his harassment verbally with no paper or electronic trail, isn't it always going to be he said/she said unless the victim can figure out a way to secretly record them?  And in some states, even if you do, it's not legally admissible because they have laws requiring both parties be aware that the conversation is being recorded.

Things I wonder about:

1. Why did it take 25years for this to surface? With as many detractors as O'Reilly has it is amazing it didn't surface before now.

2. Why didn't Mackris's girlfriend who was with them at least once testify in the court case?

The court case didn't last very long.

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

Why?

Well he is a smart guy in many ways and I just find it crazy he would be so stupid to do this openly with someone who worded for him and with a witness to boot.  He has enough money he could just go to a hotel and have a first class call girl come in. I know it happens though. My wife can tell you similar stories and I wouldn't dare to even tell a slightly off color joke in the work place these days,

8 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Well he is a smart guy in many ways and I just find it crazy he would be so stupid to do this openly with someone who worded for him and with a witness to boot.  He has enough money he could just go to a hotel and have a first class call girl come in. I know it happens though. My wife can tell you similar stories and I wouldn't dare to even tell a slightly off color joke in the work place these days,

I've seen plenty of smart guys get real stupid when they start thinking with the head not located on top of their neck.  Some seem to derive some sort of extra rush from attaining sex from women they work with rather than a call girl they can simply pay.  It's like the danger of it makes it more enticing.  Plus there's a power dynamic too...getting a rush from having the power to coerce someone to do it.

10 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Pretty much any joke these days....there will always be someone around ready to be offended. 

As for what might surprise me about stupid sexual encounters, after Bill Clinton's experiences with Monica in the White House and elsewhere...nothing surprises me about what people with "power" might think they can get away with.....and often get away with for a long time before someone says "enough". 

First thing I was told when I was hired at Southern Bell with 50 ladies in the office...."never dip your pen in company ink"....that's still good advice.

14 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

But not so stupid as to pay these women $13 million for things he didn't do?

Really?  <_<

10 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Pretty much any joke these days....there will always be someone around ready to be offended. 

Having work associates do such a thing - expecially if they are your superior - is offensive.  It's presumptive and it puts you in a position of "going along" even when you are offended by it.

I can remember feeling that way when people made racial jokes.  I can easily imagine how a woman would feel when exposed to sexual jokes in a work environment.

14 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I've seen plenty of smart guys get real stupid when they start thinking with the head not located on top of their neck.  Some seem to derive some sort of extra rush from attaining sex from women they work with rather than a call girl they can simply pay.  It's like the danger of it makes it more enticing.  Plus there's a power dynamic too...getting a rush from having the power to coerce someone to do it.

True. I bet O'Reilly will write a book about his side of all this and make a ton of money.

15 minutes ago, AU64 said:

First thing I was told when I was hired at Southern Bell with 50 ladies in the office...."never dip your pen in company ink"....that's still good advice.

LMAO

I just sit back and laugh at all these morons who try to sway the public for money and ideological gain. Pssssft. To hell with Fox, CNN, MSNBC and every other advertising machine out there. ;) 

18 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

True. I bet O'Reilly will write a book about his side of all this and make a ton of money.

I wouldn't be surprised at him writing a book.  I doubt it will focus much on this.  Too much potential liability if he's not squeaky clean.

A good read

Knifework, not character or integrity, is what we demand from our ideological gladiators. We’re paying the price.

There are those who say that the Left is “taking scalps,” and they have a list of Republican victims to prove their thesis. Roger Ailes is out at Fox News. Bill O’Reilly is out at Fox News. Michael Flynn is out at the White House. Those three names — the head of the most powerful cable news network, the highest-rated cable news personality, and the national-security adviser — represent a stunning wave of resignations and terminations.

But this isn’t scalp-taking, it’s scalp-giving. Time and again prominent conservative personalities have failed to uphold basic standards of morality or even decency. Time and again the conservative public has rallied around them, seeking to protect their own against the wrath of a vengeful Left. Time and again the defense has proved unsustainable as the sheer weight of the facts buries the accused.

Loved this part:

But when we ask for fighters first, and we elevate aggression over truth and competence, we ask for exactly the kind of scandals we’ve endured. Moreover, the degradation to our culture far outweighs any short-term, tribal political benefit.

The message sent when conservatives rally around the flag to defend the indefensible is exactly the message the Democrats sent so loudly as they continued to prop up the Clinton machine through scandal after scandal. Only winning matters. Ambition is everything. Political movements are about personalities, not ideas — so you’re left with the political equivalent of warring mafia families in which the highest value is loyalty, and the ends always justify the means.

22 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

Well they are paying him 25 million simply for the privilege of firing him.

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

Well they are paying him 25 million simply for the privilege of firing him.

Wow! Sounds like Bill could Coach an SEC football team for a few years.

Why do guys like O[Reilly get fired but renowned womanizing presidents like JFK and Bill Clinton. i know, I know but it is hypocritical and a double standard.

14 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Why do guys like O[Reilly get fired but renowned womanizing presidents like JFK and Bill Clinton. i know, I know but it is hypocritical and a double standard.

Who knows but as for Bill, I never considered him to be much of a conservative....he was generally a "big government" guy....and in my view, seemed to to fall somewhere between being a liberal and a libertarian....somewhere on the back side of the philosophical circle where those two philosophies come together.

JMO but I don't see his firing as a loss to the conservative cause.

2 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

Some of the difference is, a president just has more power and more people with vested interests in keeping him in power.  

But some of it also is that when you spend every night railing on your opponents and their lack of decency, morality and how they are ruining the country because of it, you'd better be damn sure your own nose is clean. 

5 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Some of the difference is, a president just has more power and more people with vested interests in keeping him in power.  

But some of it also is that when you spend every night railing on your opponents and their lack of decency, morality and how they are ruining the country because of it, you'd better be damn sure your own nose is clean. 

I hear you but disagree somewhat, The POTUS should set the moral standard for the country, O'Reilly is a nit compared to the POTUS The POTUS does a lot oc criticism of opponents too.

His next book may be called "Killing O'Reilly^-^

Archived