2018 D Line Recruiting

ellitor

Garner wants 4-5 DL in this class

AUBURN, Ala. — Auburn is going big for its next haul of defensive linemen.

Well, yes, they will be large physically. That’s a given. What Auburn defensive line coach Rodney Garner means is he's hoping for clearance to sign a large quantity of players: he hopes to sign four or five defensive linemen in the 2018 signing class. The Tigers signed three — Markaviest Bryant, Tyrone Truesdell and Alec Jackson — in February, a small-but-expected signing class in the wake of Carl Lawson and Montravius Adams' departures from the roster.

“This one will be a bigger class,” Garner said. “We’re saying big. Four, five, if I’m blessed. Obviously, I want as many as I can get, but you have to make everything fit within. But if I was able to get five, that’d be unreal for me.”

Auburn signed two interior players and a Buck in February. Bryant was the crown jewel of the class and will compete immediately for playing time at Buck in the summer and fall. Truesdell (6-3, 325), a big nose tackle, and Jackson (6-5, 270), a Montgomery native, join the class.

“[Truesdell] is a very powerful guy,” Garner said. “Very raw, very green. But I think also he’s going to be a hungry kid that’s going to be willing to go through the process.”

Garner said in the spring it’s possible Auburn could add an additional defensive lineman to the 2017 roster via the transfer circuit, but that has not yet happened.

Auburn already owns a commitment from strongside defensive end Daquan Newkirk for the 2018 signing class. The Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College star is rated the No. 1 player at his position on the junior college level, according to 247Sports Composite.

“I’d love to get two true ends, one Buck and maybe two tackles,” Garner said. “We’ve just got to see how that goes.”

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We'll see. The story last year was that it was a poor class for D-linemen but this year was an excellent class and we'd load up. Clearly Garner wants to load up. Will it happen? Only time can tell...........

33 minutes ago, Mikey said:

We'll see. The story last year was that it was a poor class for D-linemen but this year was an excellent class and we'd load up. Clearly Garner wants to load up. Will it happen? Only time can tell...........

The bigger question in my mind from reading the article is will Gus allow him to take 4-5 in this class. AU 247 projects us to take 3 to 4 DL as of now.

Also while last year was a poor DL class, it was never said this year's DL class was great. Time will tell though.

History shows that if Garner wants a big DL class he'll get it. DL recruiting has been out of this world since he's been here. He may not be allowed to get 5 but 4 should be a given since we only got 3 this past class. But have we ever consistently signed top DL players like this before? It seems like every year we have pulled in at least 1 top 10 (at their position) type guy and some years we have gotten a couple. And the not top 10 guys have all been really good as well. Garner has done a flat out excellent job since he has been here, best decision Gus made was hiring him and then retaining him when he did the Muschamp reboot

This tells me he's expected a couple DL to leave after this year, specifically one that could declare after his junior season. 

39 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

This tells me he's expected a couple DL to leave after this year, specifically one that could declare after his junior season. 

The only 3 guys on roster that fit that category are Cowart, A'Will, & Donty. I don't see a guy in his 1st year at DT and not expected to start in Cowart leaving. A-Will has become a player but don't see him leaving either. Donty is the guy who takes up linemen & sacrifice making plays himself so others can. Doubt he leaves either.

Reality is DL coaches want 4 a year anyway for standard depth purposes. I don't think it says he expects 1 of the above 3 to leave.

47 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

I'm feeling Cowart leaves after this season @ellitor just a feeling! 

No disrespect but unless he graduates or does a Nic Fairley transformation at DT there will be nowhere for him to go.

Russell would be the one I would worry about leaving.He is really underrated and I expect a big year from him.

5 minutes ago, kd4au said:

Russell would be the one I would worry about leaving.He is really underrated and I expect a big year from him.

If he has a big year that would mean more PT. Why would he leave?

11 minutes ago, kd4au said:

His position is not set to have a big year. His job is to eat up blocks & let others work.

6 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

If he has a big year that would mean more PT. Why would he leave?

Hypothetically draft stock go way up. I don't think it will go high enough for him to decide to leave though.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Hypothetically draft stock go way up. I don't think it will go high enough for him to decide to leave though.

Very hard to imagine. The one thing he's got going for him is it's looking like he might be in a lot on passing downs, so he might have inflated stats for an interior lineman, but if Joe McMessageboard Guy Loof can come up with that little nugget then it's not going to get past any NFL scouts. Who knows, though. There might be a run on 3-4 DEs or something. The draft is tricky to predict. 

He may not have a big year, but I still say he is very good and if he decides to go pro I think he would be drafted,a lot of kids go and don't get drafted. I really don't follow the nfl that close so I'm sure you know more about it than I do.

4 hours ago, kd4au said:

He may not have a big year, but I still say he is very good and if he decides to go pro I think he would be drafted,a lot of kids go and don't get drafted. I really don't follow the nfl that close so I'm sure you know more about it than I do.

He just seems the calculating type to me that won't go unless he gets a high round grade. I could be wrong though.

12 hours ago, ellitor said:

Also while last year was a poor DL class, it was never said this year's DL class was great. Time will tell though.

It was both said and implied plenty, on this very forum. No, I'm not going to take the time to search out all the year-old posts but I do clearly remember the reasoning given for only taking three last year and it was because this year's class was supposedly much better.

12 hours ago, gravejd said:

History shows that if Garner wants a big DL class he'll get it. DL recruiting has been out of this world since he's been here. He may not be allowed to get 5 but 4 should be a given since we only got 3 this past class. But have we ever consistently signed top DL players like this before? It seems like every year we have pulled in at least 1 top 10 (at their position) type guy and some years we have gotten a couple. And the not top 10 guys have all been really good as well. Garner has done a flat out excellent job since he has been here, best decision Gus made was hiring him and then retaining him when he did the Muschamp reboot

Garner has certainly landed some big recruits, especially at DT. We haven't been consistently great with QB pressures and sacks since he has been here, so we need to step it up in either recruiting or development in that area. 

11 hours ago, ellitor said:

He just seems the calculating type to me that won't go unless he gets a high round grade. I could be wrong though.

Hope you are right.To many of these kids leave early and never make it in the nfl,plus we need him.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 0:27 PM, ellitor said:

No disrespect but unless he graduates or does a Nic Fairley transformation at DT there will be nowhere for him to go.

I do not think Byron is leaving after this season whatsoever even if he has a really breakthrough season. He will need a really solid senior season to get on the radar for the NFL draft in the 7 rounds. I love the young man and feel that he will make us proud in 2017 & 2018.

I read somewhere, sorry no link, on a list of 2018 draft first round picks and BC was listed as one! Anyone else see that or have a link? Found it Walterfootball 2018 draft! Any comments?

2 minutes ago, toddc said:

I read somewhere, sorry no link, on a list of 2018 draft first round picks and BC was listed as one! Anyone else see that or have a link? 

No and as of right now he is not a major contender for this draft.

17 minutes ago, toddc said:

I read somewhere, sorry no link, on a list of 2018 draft first round picks and BC was listed as one! Anyone else see that or have a link? Found it Walterfootball 2018 draft! Any comments?

Sounds like someone took a look at the 2015 recruiting rankings and changed the title to 2018 draft projection. 

(Speaking of, for all those who like to whine about the recruiting services and star gazing, try cross referencing the top of this list against the first round of the draft the other night.)

Honest question:  was that link supposed to be a pro for recruiting services or a con?

There are 32 five-star guys on that list, and (conveniently) 32 first-round picks.

On the pro side, Garrett, Fournette, Peppers, Humphrey, and Jackson were all first rounders with three of them going in the first half of the first round. That's exactly what you expect/hope for when you sign a five star player.

On the con side, look at the number of complete washouts to this point in their career. Kyle Allen, Speedy Noil (undrafted), Tony Brown, Travis Rudolph (undrafted), Gerald Willis, Jalen Hurd. I mean, those guys were evaled as five star guys as well, and they either didn't make the NFL draft at all or transferred from the school that signed them (or both). 

Then you have guys that are still TBD on whether they "hit" or not. Da'Shawn Hand and Raashan Evans are the best examples. Neither has ever been a full-time starter for their semi-professional organization. Goes to show that, even with five-star signees, you'd better have some patience.

30 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

Honest question:  was that link supposed to be a pro for recruiting services or a con?

There are 32 five-star guys on that list, and (conveniently) 32 first-round picks.

On the pro side, Garrett, Fournette, Peppers, Humphrey, and Jackson were all first rounders with three of them going in the first half of the first round. That's exactly what you expect/hope for when you sign a five star player.

On the con side, look at the number of complete washouts to this point in their career. Kyle Allen, Speedy Noil (undrafted), Tony Brown, Travis Rudolph (undrafted), Gerald Willis, Jalen Hurd. I mean, those guys were evaled as five star guys as well, and they either didn't make the NFL draft at all or transferred from the school that signed them (or both). 

Then you have guys that are still TBD on whether they "hit" or not. Da'Shawn Hand and Raashan Evans are the best examples. Neither has ever been a full-time starter for their semi-professional organization. Goes to show that, even with five-star signees, you'd better have some patience.

The only stat that matters in the argument is 4* & 5* recruits make up about 5% of recruits going to college each year yet in the draft 66% of the first round picks were 4 & 5*s per the composite. Loof's link was 247 only rankings. Stars & rankings aren't the end end all be all but they clearly have some value.

Archived