2018 D Line Recruiting

ellitor

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

Early signing period will make closing a recruiting class a bit more complex.  I sure hope we are not a bunch of checkers players, but more so chess players!   I still think we need to strategically alter our approach and focus on building some excitement for the teenagers (ie: keep the uniforms, but change up some other stuff that attracts kids).  The game on the field is not just for old farts like me.  

I could see us having 3-4 different helmets schemes.  Or something to build some excitement for twitter or instagram...

No...We don't need all that hoopla

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, WFE12 said:

No...We don't need all that hoopla

We, as in the fans dont need the hoopla; the players on the other-hand appear to need these things. When you have teams taking the field with pink helmets these days, anything Auburn would ever do, is way much more conservative.

16 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

A question or two and then an observation. Last year we were told that it was a weak year for D-Linemen but the next year was looking good. By the way we still signed a good class of D-Line last year. Now I see some people saying this is a weak year for D-Line. So question was last year really a weak year as we did pretty good and is this year a weak year or a good year?

Observation as usual we have not signed to many D-Linemen as yet and people are starting to moan and grown like the sky is falling. This is a a regular occurrence and yet by signing Day Garner has pulled in another crop of great D-Linemen. I can't understand why people doubt Garner every year when you look at his track record.

I was going to make the same observation about last years class, but you beat me to it. I really think the D Line discussion is usually more about D Tackles than it is D Ends.   Coynis Miller seems to be one of our top targets at D Tackle and I hope we sign him. If it is indeed a down year for D Lineman, all the more reason we better get our share. As you said, Coach G has a habit of making it happen. 

16 hours ago, Beaker said:

Early signing period will make closing a recruiting class a bit more complex.  I sure hope we are not a bunch of checkers players, but more so chess players!   I still think we need to strategically alter our approach and focus on building some excitement for the teenagers (ie: keep the uniforms, but change up some other stuff that attracts kids).  The game on the field is not just for old farts like me.  

I could see us having 3-4 different helmets schemes.  Or something to build some excitement for twitter or instagram...

The turds seem to do alright with the ugliest uniforms on the planet. I'm old fashion, I don't care for to much change.

35 minutes ago, kd4au said:

The turds seem to do alright with the ugliest uniforms on the planet. I'm old fashion, I don't care for to much change.

I respect that, but we are comparing apples to oranges:  they have an easier time recruiting who they want and I am just saying if we want better/easier recruiting, we could appeal to more teenagers (players) with some new wrinkles.   Product differentiation - BMW doesn't try to do exactly what Mercedes does.   

Personally, I am old school.  But I can tolerate new snazzy helmets if it lands or helps the coaches land more talent.  I like winning more than I do saying "our basic uni hasn't changed since '78".  

6 hours ago, Beaker said:

I respect that, but we are comparing apples to oranges:  they have an easier time recruiting who they want and I am just saying if we want better/easier recruiting, we could appeal to more teenagers (players) with some new wrinkles.   Product differentiation - BMW doesn't try to do exactly what Mercedes does.   

Personally, I am old school.  But I can tolerate new snazzy helmets if it lands or helps the coaches land more talent.  I like winning more than I do saying "our basic uni hasn't changed since '78".  

That basic uniform will always look good. Any recruit that gets persuaded by a uniform does not need to be an Auburn Tiger.

12 hours ago, AU Is Gold said:

That basic uniform will always look good. Any recruit that gets persuaded by a uniform does not need to be an Auburn Tiger.

I wish it was really like that, but the truth is we live in a different society than that. Kids today are superficial and and impressionable, more so than when we grew up; i'm not saying we need  to cater to them, just that we need to understand very few kids are well-grounded enough to make decisions based on that kind of wisdom.

11 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

I wish it was really like that, but the truth is we live in a different society than that. Kids today are superficial and and impressionable, more so than when we grew up; i'm not saying we need  to cater to them, just that we need to understand very few kids are well-grounded enough to make decisions based on that kind of wisdom.

I agree, but I still have hope. I think as more teams change their uniforms and style, Auburn's will become more attractable to recruits. I'm not going to lie though, I've kinda wanted to see an Auburn Georgia game where Auburn comes out of the tunnel with the "Eagle through the A" logo on their helmets. 

2 hours ago, Timeslider 6 said:

Based on who were competing against on the recruiting trail I don't see having a different color jersey other than blue or white giving us that much of an advantage.  Other than LSU going purple, or Georgia with the blackout, pretty much all of the SEC sticks with their home/away uniforms.  I wouldn't be opposed to a simple uniform change like having blue pants and jerseys for one of the games when the whole stadium is supposed to be wearing blue.

When youre going against other SEC teams on the recruiting trail it really comes down to winning seasons and putting players in the NFL IMO.

13 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

Based on who were competing against on the recruiting trail I don't see having a different color jersey other than blue or white giving us that much of an advantage.  Other than LSU going purple, or Georgia with the blackout, pretty much all of the SEC sticks with their home/away uniforms.  I wouldn't be opposed to a simple uniform change like having blue pants and jerseys for one of the games when the whole stadium is supposed to be wearing blue.

When youre going against other SEC teams on the recruiting trail it really comes down to winning seasons and putting players in the NFL IMO.

I agree.  Uniform is kind of a nice thing, but the key is playing for championships and getting kids to the NFL.  Look at the turds.  They have the most boring uniforms ever (well except maybe PSU) and they are turning kids away.  Bottom line, win & give kids the training to make it to NFL & we will get the recruits.

3 hours ago, Timeslider 6 said:

I think you may be selling these kid's a little short. They are smarter than a lot of us old folk think.

If the main recruiting thread is accurate, we're looking for around 2 each at DT and DE. We've got Newkirk in the fold at the former, so that leaves 1 more DT and a couple DEs/Bucks. Jibunor is looking good on the latter, so are we looking at 1 more DT and 1-2 more DE/Bucks? 

Newkirk, Miller, Jibunor and maybe Tannor... that would be a pretty nice class. 

In Rodney I trust. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

If the main recruiting thread is accurate, we're looking for around 2 each at DT and DE. We've got Newkirk in the fold at the former, so that leaves 1 more DT and a couple DEs/Bucks. Jibunor is looking good on the latter, so are we looking at 1 more DT and 1-2 more DE/Bucks? 

Newkirk, Miller, Jibunor and maybe Tannor... that would be a pretty nice class. 

In Rodney I trust. 

humm

7 hours ago, Timeslider 6 said:

My parents generation used to say the same thing about us.

On 8/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, AU Is Gold said:

AMEN!

On 8/2/2017 at 9:03 AM, dabrasco said:

We, as in the fans dont need the hoopla; the players on the other-hand appear to need these things. When you have teams taking the field with pink helmets these days, anything Auburn would ever do, is way much more conservative.

Yeah, I mean look at all the 5 stars bammer gets. Its all about their tons of uniform combinations for sure. AU is good enough with plenty of tradition that it doesn't have to rely on gimmicks. Besides, when was the last time you heard a highly touted recruit say he went somewhere because he liked their helmets? The effect of that type stuff is highly overrated imo. Do they like it? Sure. Does it affect where they play football? No.

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

FWIW: Keith CB'd Kayode Oladele to Auburn. I like this guy's upside. He's also another Nigerian.

Nigerian pipeline

gotta love those guys growing up playing soccer and turning them into football players. All kinds of athleticism with these kids.

We have aNigerian family our kids grew up with all of them were the nicest kids and great students and athletes. The family was very disciplined and hard working. The oldest boy was 7' played basketball but was not great but used basketball to get a great education. The two girls were about 6'5"  (both parents were also in the 6'5' to 6'7" also) but went the academic route via scholarships one is about to enter into her internship.  Know a couple of other Nigerian families at our church also.  Again great families and great kids from the families I know you can't go wrong with these kids because they are all hard working and very level head and I would be proud to have them as part of the Auburn family whether as athletes or students.

By the way I live in Texas and love spicy food but the Nigerian food can burn a whole in your stomach they are right up there with the Thai's.

48 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

We have aNigerian family our kids grew up with all of them were the nicest kids and great students and athletes. The family was very disciplined and hard working. The oldest boy was 7' played basketball but was not great but used basketball to get a great education. The two girls were about 6'5"  (both parents were also in the 6'5' to 6'7" also) but went the academic route via scholarships one is about to enter into her internship.  Know a couple of other Nigerian families at our church also.  Again great families and great kids from the families I know you can't go wrong with these kids because they are all hard working and very level head and I would be proud to have them as part of the Auburn family whether as athletes or students.

By the way I live in Texas and love spicy food but the Nigerian food can burn a whole in your stomach they are right up there with the Thai's.

:-\

Archived