3 Softball players Suspended (2nd Update 4/27/17)

8 hours ago, GiveEmElle said:

California is doing this. They have a field sobriety test that includes eye movement Test they say is 77% reliable. They also do blood, urine and breath testing for marijuana. 

https://www.duiease.com/test-for-marijuana-california/

The HGN is used as a part of the Standardized Field Sobriety and if I remember the percentage correctly, it's an 85% predictor of intoxication. Even when a person completes the other two tasks of the SFST, HGN is still reliable. Only thing is, natural nystagmus. I have natural nystagmus and was asked at the academy if I had actually been drinking while we were being trained to administer the SFST. Natural nystagmus can come from as early as birth or be a result of a head injury or a host of other causations. 

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, as a side note, THC levels are supposed to be much higher in today's lab produced strains of marihuana. I'm not sure if that would have different long lasting effects compared to the marihuana of yesteryear. 

Man I feel so out of place with this discussion! lol. I have never had a sip of alcohol or a hit of weed in my life. Am I doing life wrong guys?! 

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Man I feel so out of place with this discussion! lol. I have never had a sip of alcohol or a hit of weed in my life. Am I doing life wrong guys?! 

Not at all. I drink occasionally but I'd also recommend never starting. 

35 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

The HGN is used as a part of the Standardized Field Sobriety and if I remember the percentage correctly, it's an 85% predictor of intoxication. Even when a person completes the other two tasks of the SFST, HGN is still reliable. Only thing is, natural nystagmus. I have natural nystagmus and was asked at the academy if I had actually been drinking while we were being trained to administer the SFST. Natural nystagmus can come from as early as birth or be a result of a head injury or a host of other causations. 

Interesting. 

37 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Yes, cuz all the cool kids are doing it!

15 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

Yes, cuz all the cool kids are doing it!

FAKE NEWS!!!! haha.

@GiveEmElle I should have added that Vertical Gaze Nystagmus is the indicator used for controllled substance intoxication. I haven't worked a uniform assignment in almost 3 three years so I haven't administered an SFST in quite a while. 

53 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

@GiveEmElle I should have added that Vertical Gaze Nystagmus is the indicator used for controllled substance intoxication. I haven't worked a uniform assignment in almost 3 three years so I haven't administered an SFST in quite a while. 

Oh, I knew that. It was in an article I linked in a previous post on how CA tests for drivers under the influence of MJ.

While it is currently illegal you are taking a risk on hurting your future. Does it impair people in the future as one poster has said. There have been studies that show it can. By the way alcohol can destroy your life also if abused. alcohol used responsibly is fine and so is pot. The problem is some people are more susceptible to becoming hooked on pot or alcohol and it can ruin your life. I smoked some in college and a couple years after then quit and no bad side affects I had a friend that became hooked to the point he eventually had a mental breakdown it took him a couple of years and a lot of analyses to get straight both with pot, alcohol and in his mind.

Even if legalized that does not mean that some employers won't still have drug tests at work. If you fail for pot or alcohol you lose your job. If they legalize pot it would not bother me that much but I would prefer that they decriminalize it.  I would like the government and private companies to study it for medicinal use and determine once and for all if it can really help for some things.

1 hour ago, GiveEmElle said:

Oh, I knew that. It was in an article I linked in a previous post on how CA tests for drivers under the influence of MJ.

I'm sorry, I admit I didn't read the link 

1 hour ago, GiveEmElle said:

There can be no doubt that marijuana has medicinal benefits. So does opium. That doesn't mean that either one should be legal for street use.

6 minutes ago, Mikey said:

There can be no doubt that marijuana has medicinal benefits. So does opium. That doesn't mean that either one should be legal for street use.

I call false equivalency. 

9 minutes ago, GiveEmElle said:

I call false equivalency. 

Are you not advocating legalizing MJ and using its medicinal properties as support for that position? I could have swoon you were. If so, there is absolutely no false equivalency.

21 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Are you not advocating legalizing MJ and using its medicinal properties as support for that position? I could have swoon you were. If so, there is absolutely no false equivalency.

Comparing MJ to opium? 

9 hours ago, GiveEmElle said:

Comparing MJ to opium? 

No more silly than claiming MJ should be legalized because of its medical uses. A doctor can prescribe Morphine but few would use Morphine's medal properties as an argument to make it legal for general use and availability. The same applies to MJ. Whatever medical uses it has can be easily addressed by declaring it to be a prescription drug. Its medical applications have absolutely no bearing on whether it should be declared legal for general use.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

No more silly than claiming MJ should be legalized because of its medical uses. A doctor can prescribe Morphine but few would use Morphine's medal properties as an argument to make it legal for general use and availability. The same applies to MJ. Whatever medical uses it has can be easily addressed by declaring it to be a prescription drug. Its medical applications have absolutely no bearing on whether it should be declared legal for general use.

I'm sure epilepsy patients that can't get cannibis to reduce seizure episodes don't find it silly to make it legal. Legalization creates easy access for people that require it for medical reasons. Comparing MJ to other highly addictive drugs is a false equivalency. The belief that MJ is this evil addictive drug is Jeff Sessions level ignorance. 

2 hours ago, GiveEmElle said:

I'm sure epilepsy patients that can't get cannibis to reduce seizure episodes don't find it silly to make it legal. Legalization creates easy access for people that require it for medical reasons. Comparing MJ to other highly addictive drugs is a false equivalency. The belief that MJ is this evil addictive drug is Jeff Sessions level ignorance. 

And blowing it off as nothing more then a plant that has no health or life consequences is more ignorant.  I find Jeff Session to be a very valuable member of the US and the state of Alabama.  (His son which I'm friends with is a huge huge Auburn fan btw)

Either way this has been beat to death.  I agree to disagree with you and I'm ok with that.

On 4/21/2017 at 5:35 PM, WarTiger said:

It didn't say it was one of the girls residences.  It said it was a residence, as in it could have been anybody's and they were visiting.

Jay Tate reported on his podcast that it was one of the girls' residence.

1 minute ago, saminbama said:

Has there been any other news concerning their suspensions?

Yes. They are with the team & will be in uniform this weekend but unlikely to play per a free article by Phillip Marshall yesterday.

Unlocking this thread because of the recent update. Please take any further Marijuana legalization debate to the political forum. Thanks!

Softball players back with team, but when will they play?

AUBURN, Ala. – Three softball players who were suspended for last weekend’s series at South Carolina after being arrested on misdemeanor marijuana-related charges are back with the team, but when they will play again is not certain.

Auburn coach Clint Myers said Tuesday that sophomore pitcher Makayla Martin, senior shortstop Haley Fagan and freshman outfielder Brittany Marsette will be with their teammates when Mississippi State visits Jane B. Moore Field for a three-game series, starting Friday. They were suspended indefinitely after their arrests last Thursday and did not travel to South Carolina last weekend.

“They will be in uniform,” Myers told AuburnUndercover. “When they will play again remains to be seen.”

The decision, Myers said, will be his alone. They do not face athletic department discipline.

The No. 9 Tigers (39-8, 12-6) and the Bulldogs (34-15, 8-10) start their series at 6 p.m. Saturday’s game starts at 6 p.m. and Sunday’s game at 2 p.m. Senior Day ceremonies will follow the Sunday game. Seniors from both teams will be honored.

Auburn won two of three at South Carolina last weekend, winning a pair of 2-0 decisions and losing 3-0 on Sunday. Myers came home unsatisfied.

“You want to win at least two, but I was expecting three,” Myers said. “We didn’t play up to a standard. I don’t care who’s not there, there is a standard. We are Auburn.”

Myers said he continues to believe his team can do big things as postseason nears.

“We need to stop talking about it and start executing,” Myers said. “We can do anything we set our minds to.”

Archived