3 Softball players Suspended (2nd Update 4/27/17)

12 hours ago, steeleagle said:

So has Coach Meyers made any statement on this? I would like to hear from him. 

And what is the best guess for how long they will be suspended? Is it AU policy AND team policy that comes into play here?

Sorry for Coach Meyers. Such a lot of pressure after all the success of last year. How things change quickly...

No statement from Myers. Statement came from AU AD. Haven't seen a guess how long they will be out.  I think it's team & AU Athletics policy because when football goes through this the football coach deals with the punishment

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It's who I am. You are wasting your breathe just like the 9000000 trillion times you have said the same thing. I am not going to change Mikey. Just accept it like I have. I'm not proud of it. It's just who I am.

You run in cycles and right now you are nearing another peak. Dropping some negative or nit-picking comment on almost every post you read. I'm just informing you that it's time for you to hold another meeting with yourself. Get in front of the mirror and do whatever it is you do that returns you to ground zero. The first few months after that, as you are still gaining momentum it's not nearly as bad. Go ahead and reset now. I'll warn you again in a few months when you start going overboard at the peak of your next cycle. No need to send money, I'm flush right now.

Your BFF, Mikey

32 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It's who I am. You are wasting your breathe just like the 9000000 trillion times you have said the same thing. I am not going to change Mikey. Just accept it like I have. I'm not proud of it. It's just who I am.

woooo easy there E. Do not beat yourself up to much. Be proud of who you are. This is not some fatal character flaw. And YES I am fully aware the irony in me saying this to you because I to used to get frustrated with ya! haha.

38 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Plenty of people's lives have been destroyed by being busted for pot... either legally or just getting fired for failing a drug test.  

I may be in the minority here but I thought no we need stronger laws for drugs, alcohol, and tobacco (heck even throw sodas in there) then more lenient laws.  Just because people want to do things doesn't mean they are good for you.  And this is from someone who wants very small government so I feel pretty strongly about this.  

Here's a good question for you all...  would you want your mom smoking weed?  Would you want your kids?  

I agree, legal or illegal, the long term negative side effects of marijuana outweigh the momentary  nirvana.  They don't call it a mind altering drug for nothing 

29 minutes ago, WeagleAU said:

I agree, legal or illegal, the long term negative side effects of marijuana outweigh the momentary  nirvana.  They don't call it a mind altering drug for nothing 

Can't agree with you guys here.  I smoked a good bit of pot back in the day, but didn't abuse it.  I'm 71 and can still do an evil Sudoku.  When do the long term negative side effects show up? 

3 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Can't agree with you guys here.  I smoked a good bit of pot back in the day, but didn't abuse it.  I'm 71 and can still do an evil Sudoku.  When do the long term negative side effects show up? 

At age 72 ;D

10 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

GET OUT OF HERE!!! your 71??? Your posting style comes off as not a day over 37!!!! haha. Seriously I had no idea.

2 hours ago, corchjay said:

Plenty of people's lives have been destroyed by being busted for pot... either legally or just getting fired for failing a drug test.  

I may be in the minority here but I thought no we need stronger laws for drugs, alcohol, and tobacco (heck even throw sodas in there) then more lenient laws.  Just because people want to do things doesn't mean they are good for you.  And this is from someone who wants very small government so I feel pretty strongly about this.  

Here's a good question for you all...  would you want your mom smoking weed?  Would you want your kids?  

You and Jeff Sessions.  I would be fine with both, because I am not stupid and have researched and understand the issue.  In my younger days I smoked all the time, worked 75 hours a week, at least, and built a multi-million dollar business.  Helped me manage my Chrons.  Crawl out from your shell and do some research.

59 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

You and Jeff Sessions.  I would be fine with both, because I am not stupid and have researched and understand the issue.  In my younger days I smoked all the time, worked 75 hours a week, at least, and built a multi-million dollar business.  Helped me manage my Chrons.  Crawl out from your shell and do some research.

What kind of business?

2 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Ok you asked for it...

reseach-

Altered senses

altered sense of time 

changes in mood

Impaired body movement 

Difficulty with thinking/problem solving

impaired memory

Lowers IQ on average 8 points with long term use

breathing problems

Increased heart rate

Problems with child development during and after pregnancy 

Temporary hallucinations 

Temporary paranoia 

worsens symptoms for people with mental disorders 

Failing drug tests 

Lowers life satisfaction 

Poorer mental health 

Poorer physical health

Causes relationship problems

Less academic and career success 

Damages the heart and blood vessels 

Gateway drug

numerous withdrawal symptoms 

I think that's probably enough for now but if you need more proof then I can gladly get out of my shell and "reseach" it some more.  I've seen plenty of youth destroyed by just playing around with it.  Losing out on cherished high school memories, risking obtaining a higher education, and sometimes even to legal troubles.  Usually it leads to not enough of a high next step is lortabs or adderal then to heroine, crack, or meth.  

I wish you well in your fight with chrons.  Not fun at all I hear and you probably get some benefit of pain and anxiety reduction from your use but logical and scientific evidence isn't on your side.  

9 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

If we do legalize pot we need a way to arrest people for driving while intoxicated just like we do for alcohol. It is a little harder to detect and do field tests on. No breathalyzer. Even if detected how much would show you are intoxicated and how long does it stay in your system and impairs you.

California is doing this. They have a field sobriety test that includes eye movement Test they say is 77% reliable. They also do blood, urine and breath testing for marijuana. 

https://www.duiease.com/test-for-marijuana-california/

4 hours ago, corchjay said:

Ok you asked for it...

reseach-

Altered senses

altered sense of time 

changes in mood

Impaired body movement 

Difficulty with thinking/problem solving

impaired memory

Lowers IQ on average 8 points with long term use

breathing problems

Increased heart rate

Problems with child development during and after pregnancy 

Temporary hallucinations 

Temporary paranoia 

worsens symptoms for people with mental disorders 

Failing drug tests 

Lowers life satisfaction 

Poorer mental health 

Poorer physical health

Causes relationship problems

Less academic and career success 

Damages the heart and blood vessels 

Gateway drug

numerous withdrawal symptoms 

I think that's probably enough for now but if you need more proof then I can gladly get out of my shell and "reseach" it some more.  I've seen plenty of youth destroyed by just playing around with it.  Losing out on cherished high school memories, risking obtaining a higher education, and sometimes even to legal troubles.  Usually it leads to not enough of a high next step is lortabs or adderal then to heroine, crack, or meth.  

I wish you well in your fight with chrons.  Not fun at all I hear and you probably get some benefit of pain and anxiety reduction from your use but logical and scientific evidence isn't on your side.  

lol, propaganda ******** do not evade the profanity filter, you seriously can not be that nieve.  too damn funny.  thanks for the laugh

9 hours ago, gr82be said:

Yes, because that's what you do when people can't obey the law. You change the law. Sorry but I can't get past the fact the girls just couldn't follow team rules. 

I understand that everyone has rules to follow. And if you are going to participate in a sport, job, etc you need to be willing to follow the rules. That said, decriminalizing pot is more than just eliminating a law because people can't obey it. Pot has been proven to have many medicinal uses from cancer to epilepsy. There aren't any long time negative side effects to people who use it in a responsible manner. Legalizing it can also create jobs. Somebody has to grow it, etc. 

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

lol, propaganda *********, you seriously can not be that nieve.  too damn funny.  thanks for the laugh

Were you high when you wrote that response? ....I'm sure at the time it sounded like a responsible and cogent rebuttal....

52 minutes ago, GiveEmElle said:

I understand that everyone has rules to follow. And if you are going to participate in a sport, job, etc you need to be willing to follow the rules. That said, decriminalizing pot is more than just eliminating a law because people can't obey it. Pot has been proven to have many medicinal uses from cancer to epilepsy. There aren't any long time negative side effects to people who use it in a responsible manner. Legalizing it can also create jobs. Somebody has to grow it, etc. 

I have to agree with @gr82be on this one, the one thing I would change is instead of "obey the law" I would substitute "meet the standard".  The whole pot thing is secondary to setting and meeting the standard of behavior for an individual that should be a cut above the rest.  This is where leaders are found.

If you are a teacher/evaluator, no matter what the field of endeavor, you hold to an established standard of performance.  The moment you relax those standards, as an evaluator, you do an injustice to your profession and to the people that you evaluate.  It appears that a lot of society is headed that way IMO.  If I were to give an example, it would get too polical for this forum.

As rules and laws are changed, the standards will change, but this should be a slow and thought out process.  The decriminalization of pot is in this process, it just takes time for the paradigm shift to take place and we are in the midst of this right now.  In the mean time, the standard is the standard.

CoachJay, Personally I'm not passionate about this subject.  I haven't smoked pot in over 20 years.  Never really sat right with me.  I do think it should be legal.  I'm a small govt guy and big on personal responsibility.  

I think a lot of "facts" in your post may come from non-pot biased source.  There is no doubt some people have allowed themselves to get off track due to substance abuse but that can happen when anyone abuses anything.

im not in favor of youth using any mind altering anything.  So a great deal of your argument is probably aimed at under 21 which I doubt many are in favor of.

regarding the "gateway drug" type argument in to other things.  Alcohol is the primary gateway drug for the vast choice of drug users.  I did not know a single person who didn't use alcohol before smoking.  

The weed argument is identical to the alcohol argument ... except alcohol is waaaaaay worse ... but legal under the law and ok in the eyes of society.  That aspect is illogical.

i do however like this particular debate, however.  Always have.  I feel like I'm a "neutral".  But objectively I can't find reasons it isn't legal for 21 and up (which I could argue a lower age) relative to other societal issues.

at the end of the day ... if someone is gonna "destroy their own lives", regardless of how, they did it to themselves.  Still horrible but self inflicted.  

... and in the context of important issues, these girls getting themselves humiliated in a large swath of the public may be the best thing that ever happens to them ... or not.  It's their choice on how to act from here forward.

There are no benefits to it outside of medical use.  That's the bottom line so why "loosen" the law to let people do things that a lot can be protected from.  I base my feelings just on the health and still legal issues surrounding it.  

I'm right there with you on the legal/illegal aspect.  Right now it is against the law, against NCAA rules and against Auburn rules.  I assume also against Myers' rules. All other aspects are, quite frankly, irrelevant.  If Myers wanted to make a rule that ponytails were outlawed in his teams and you violated it ... well it would be his rules and the player agreed when the scholarship was signed.  There is no other argument.  Period.

all the legal stuff is an aside.

regarding the benefits of stimulants/intoxicants ... there is no benefits (arguably medical) to alcohol either.  People do these things for a variety of reasons ... primarily because they want the mind altered state.  I've got no problem with that ... assuming all levels of personal responsibilities 

2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

I have to agree with @gr82be on this one, the one thing I would change is instead of "obey the law" I would substitute "meet the standard".  The whole pot thing is secondary to setting and meeting the standard of behavior for an individual that should be a cut above the rest.  This is where leaders are found.

If you are a teacher/evaluator, no matter what the field of endeavor, you hold to an established standard of performance.  The moment you relax those standards, as an evaluator, you do an injustice to your profession and to the people that you evaluate.  It appears that a lot of society is headed that way IMO.  If I were to give an example, it would get too polical for this forum.

As rules and laws are changed, the standards will change, but this should be a slow and thought out process.  The decriminalization of pot is in this process, it just takes time for the paradigm shift to take place and we are in the midst of this right now.  In the mean time, the standard is the standard.

I'm certainly not advocating for breaking the rules. You do that you face the consequences. I'm an educator so I have to be mindful of my behavior in public and on social media. I know the consequences of breaking unwritten rules. My point is merely that pot should be legalized. As you stated the paradigm is shifting but I know how slowly Alabama shifts. 

1 hour ago, GiveEmElle said:

I'm certainly not advocating for breaking the rules. You do that you face the consequences. I'm an educator so I have to be mindful of my behavior in public and on social media. I know the consequences of breaking unwritten rules. My point is merely that pot should be legalized. As you stated the paradigm is shifting but I know how slowly Alabama shifts. 

I didn't think you were advocating breaking the rules, I just wanted to break out the pot discussion from following the standards.  I thought is was an important distinction.

ETA: Thanks for being an educator, its hard and sometime thankless work.  My wife was a school teacher for 25 years.

12 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

I always heard it killed brain cells , but only the weak ones, so I haven't noticed any effect of weed intake but had to give it up to keep my job .

Smoking pot regularly is probably bad for your lungs.....

http://www.lung.org/stop-smoking/smoking-facts/marijuana-and-lung-health.html?referrer=https://www.google.com/

ALL DRUGS have side effects. You just have to weigh the negative ones against the positive ones.

These young women took a risk and they lost. The bad part is that they hurt other people with the decisions they made. 

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

I didn't think you were advocating breaking the rules, I just wanted to break out the pot discussion from following the standards.  I thought is was an important distinction.

ETA: Thanks for being an educator, its hard and sometime thankless work.  My wife was a school teacher for 25 years.

Thank you.

Archived