3 Softball players Suspended (2nd Update 4/27/17)

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Was hoping Myers would have cut ties with one of them.

Why? I see no reason to go overboard with this. Unless you know something the rest of us don't know. If so, do tell!

16 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Why? I see no reason to go overboard with this. Unless you know something the rest of us don't know. If so, do tell!

As E eluded to and others they were not surprised by one of them being a part of this.  Due to how things are kept quiet, it would be rumors to put out there.  But we clearly have a senior who has not been a good representative of the program or University in many peoples eyes.

3 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

As E eluded to and others they were not surprised by one of them being a part of this.  Due to how things are kept quiet, it would be rumors to put out there.  But we clearly have a senior who has not been a good representative of the program or University in many peoples eyes.

Regardless if people agree or disagree with this opinion let's not open it up to an argument. It seems easily volitile & lead to relocking the thread which I'd rather avoid having to do..

21 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Regardless if people agree or disagree with this opinion let's not open it up to an argument. It seems easily volitile & lead to relocking the thread which I'd rather avoid having to do..

I agree and like this forum better than the other one I used to frequent.  People make a point and move on.   No petty and elementary antics.   Non- Auburn family folks read this prob and form opinions.   Best we remember to be one family and keep the dirty laundry in the basket.  

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

What was there to argue? The question was asked and answered. End of story and no cause for an argument of any sort.

15 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Was hoping Myers would have cut ties with one of them.

Why are we hoping one of our best players gets kicked off the team with 15 or so games left in her senior year? On the whole, she's considered a good teammate and not a huge locker room problem, although she does have a strong personality and is in the midst of drama occasionally. Maybe she's not the leader we need her to be, but that's not unusual. Not sure why a marijuana arrest would all of a sudden have people wanting her gone. And it's not just you. I've seen multiple people on various Auburn message boards hoping or thinking she should be gone.

21 minutes ago, boomstick said:

Why are we hoping one of our best players gets kicked off the team with 15 or so games left in her senior year? On the whole, she's considered a good teammate and not a huge locker room problem, although she does have a strong personality and is in the midst of drama occasionally. Maybe she's not the leader we need her to be, but that's not unusual. Not sure why a marijuana arrest would all of a sudden have people wanting her gone. And it's not just you. I've seen multiple people on various Auburn message boards hoping or thinking she should be gone.

Some of us think she got a free pass on the UF situation.....grossly over-reacted to that run-in with the coach...more than what I would call a  " strong personality".  

But...trust Clint to decide if her positives outweigh the negatives...JMO but that MJ issue alone is not a good reason to dump her unless she has a track record that we are not aware of.

Just now, AU64 said:

Some of us think she got a free pass on the UF situation.....grossly over-reacted to that run-in with the coach...more than what I would call a  " strong personality".  

But...trust Clint to decide if her positives outweigh the negatives...JMO but that MJ issue alone is not a good reason to dump her unless she has a track record that we are not aware of.

We agree about the arrest. Even coupled with the Walton incident, her arrest doesn't seem like enough to want her gone IMO. And we disagree about her reaction towards Walton. She'd never shaken Walton's hand before after a game (whether she should've is a different debate). Walton knew that. Walton still makes contact with her knowing she's not going to shake his hand. Her reaction isn't at all surprising considering her family's past and Walton's actions toward her in the handshake line. I don't like the reaction, I don't like not shaking his hand, but the second he put his hand on her, her reaction was justified. 

14 minutes ago, boomstick said:

We agree about the arrest. Even coupled with the Walton incident, her arrest doesn't seem like enough to want her gone IMO. And we disagree about her reaction towards Walton. She'd never shaken Walton's hand before after a game (whether she should've is a different debate). Walton knew that. Walton still makes contact with her knowing she's not going to shake his hand. Her reaction isn't at all surprising considering her family's past and Walton's actions toward her in the handshake line. I don't like the reaction, I don't like not shaking his hand, but the second he put his hand on her, her reaction was justified. 

Guess we gotta disagree on the justification....or at least on the level of response...way out of proportion to what went on.

If you recall,  Nobody in any position of authority blamed the coach or thought he was out of line...otherwise I'm pretty sure the hammer would have come down.  A male coach and a female athlete ...potential dynamite...but the situation was studied and the SEC PTB concurred the coach did nothing wrong. But....they basically gave HF a free pass because she is a student.   Everyone wanted it to go away which is what happened. I don't recall anyone other than AU fans thinking that HF behaved rationally or properly.

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Guess we gotta disagree on the justification....or at least on the level of response...way out of proportion to what went on.

If you recall,  Nobody in any position of authority blamed the coach or thought he was out of line...otherwise I'm pretty sure the hammer would have come down.  A male coach and a female athlete ...potential dynamite...but the situation was studied and the SEC PTB concurred the coach did nothing wrong. But....they basically gave HF a free pass because she is a student.   Everyone wanted it to go away which is what happened. I don't recall anyone other than AU fans thinking that HF behaved rationally or properly.

Yeah, we're just going to have to disagree.

1 hour ago, boomstick said:

In these situations how good of a player should not be in discussion.  John Wooden may have been the best college coach of all time in any sport and listening to many of his speeches and quotes put me into the reasoning.  I just wanted to point out that Coach Myers talked about how good it was to see his team smiling and laughing and having fun again last night. 

Just now, auburnphan said:

In these situations how good of a player should not be in discussion.  John Wooden may have been the best college coach of all time in any sport and listening to many of his speeches and quotes put me into the reasoning.  I just wanted to point out that Coach Myers talked about how good it was to see his team smiling and laughing and having fun again last night. 

So you're saying Haley Fagan is the reason this team wasn't smiling and laughing and having fun? Because you wanted her gone and then insinuate the team is having fun while she isn't there. That seems like a heap of accusations to throw on one player. Also, in these discussions, legitimate reasons for her dismissal should be considered when hoping a player is kicked off a team.

18 minutes ago, boomstick said:

So you're saying Haley Fagan is the reason this team wasn't smiling and laughing and having fun? Because you wanted her gone and then insinuate the team is having fun while she isn't there. That seems like a heap of accusations to throw on one player. Also, in these discussions, legitimate reasons for her dismissal should be considered when hoping a player is kicked off a team.

I didn't read it that way....maybe the fact that the 3 players will be back in uniform took some of the pressure off the rest of the team as far as the rest of the season is concerned.   Good that it has been resolved....the unknown was probably the major issue...just how I interpreted it anyway.

16 minutes ago, boomstick said:

LOL.  I just repeated what the coach said.  If you think the only two problems were the ones that were made public by their own actions, well I would agree with you.  There have been team chemistry issues all year.  I have been told, like many others, about situations that have occurred and that is how I have come to my conclusion.  However, I respect Coach Myers and the decisions he makes, I was just surprised by the statement made.  He may have not made a decision at this point on when/if all will return.

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I didn't read it that way....maybe the fact that the 3 players will be back in uniform took some of the pressure off the rest of the team as far as the rest of the season is concerned.   Good that it has been resolved....the unknown was probably the major issue...just how I interpreted it anyway.

I think the fact that we scored 14 runs and hit the ball well had a lot to do with the attitude of the team. Maybe the suspended players possibly coming back soon had a positive affect as well. I was just posing the question to phan based on the post of mine he quoted and the context of what he's said on this subject. 

5 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

LOL.  I just repeated what the coach said.  If you think the only two problems were the ones that were made public by their own actions, well I would agree with you.  There have been team chemistry issues all year.  I have been told, like many others, about situations that have occurred and that is how I have come to my conclusion.  However, I respect Coach Myers and the decisions he makes, I was just surprised by the statement made.  He may have not made a decision at this point on when/if all will return.

It just seems the quote was a bit pointed given what else you've said on this issue in the last few posts. I do think there are chemistry issues, but I don't put all of that on Fagan. 

1 minute ago, boomstick said:

It just seems the quote was a bit pointed given what else you've said on this issue in the last few posts. I do think there are chemistry issues, but I don't put all of that on Fagan. 

Agree, but she is a factor.

52 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Agree, but she is a factor.

SHe may be A factor, but if there are others that are hurting team chemistry, you can't bench or get rid of all of them...

I agree, she is a little bit of a fire cracker, but only Coach Meyers knows her heart, and her attitude, and her relationship with other players..so I trust his judgement. If she suits up and plays, then he probably has given her her LAST chance, even as a senior...

I remember other players who needed more stern coaching, or TLC, or kicks in the butt to give them a chance to grow and mature...I see this is what a veteran coach like Meyers is doing now..Trust him...

This team's main problem is lack of hitting throughout the bottom of the lineup, and a second year pitcher who is struggling...

When the suspended girls are playing again there will be an update. This one is shut down otherwise.

softball players remain suspended but will be in uniform vs. Mississippi State

AUBURN, Ala. — Auburn softball senior shortstop Haley Fagan, sophomore pitcher Makayla Martin and freshman outfielder Brittany Maresette remain suspended after their arrests on marijuana charges last week.

Head coach Clint Myers said the three players returned to practice this week. They will dress out for Auburn’s final home series this weekend against Mississippi State.

“They’re still suspended,” Myers said. “They’re practicing. They’ve got to earn their way back on the team. When that happens, that’s solely up to them. … They will be in uniform. They’re on the team. They’re just not eligible to play.”

The three players were arrested in Auburn during the early hours of April 20 on second-degree charges of marijuana possession and drug paraphernalia.

“It was a huge disappointment,” Myers said. “Nobody anticipated that. … It goes back to stop talking and start acting like you’re understanding what’s being said. It was just a disappointment.”

Fagan, Martin and Maresette did not travel to Auburn’s three-game series at South Carolina last week and its Wednesday night road win at Alabama State. All three players were involved in extra running before practice Thursday afternoon.

Myers wouldn’t completely rule out the possibility of playing any of the three at some point in the Mississippi State series.

“It’s always possible,” Myers said. “I have not said there’s no chance that they will play. I’m an old-school kind of guy. They’ve got to earn it. We as the coaches, we met today. They’ve got some consequences of their doing. Those have got to be taken care of.

“Once those are taken care of and they’ve earned the trust of their coaches and their teammates to come back, then hey, they can come back. When that is is solely up to them.”

Auburn softball-Makayla Martin-Auburn Tigers
Auburn pitcher Makayla Martin (Dakota Sumpter/Auburn Athletics)

Before their suspensions, Fagan started every game at shortstop, and Martin was the team’s No. 2 starting pitcher. In their absences, Auburn has reshuffled its starting lineup and pitching rotation.

As it stands right now, freshman Ashlee Swindle is the scheduled Saturday starter for the Mississippi State series. She made her first career start last week in a Game 2 shutout win over South Carolina, and she was the winning pitcher in the Alabama State victory.

Myers’ tentative plan is to have junior ace Kaylee Carlson pitch Friday and Sunday against Mississippi State. The Tigers open the series Friday night at 7 p.m. ET/6 p.m. CT on SEC Network+.

“That’s simply depending on what happens on Friday, whether we would consider going back to back with Kaylee,” Myers said. “What we’d like to do is have Kaylee go out on Friday and Sunday. Weather has a little bit of a chance to do with that, if we happen to play a doubleheader. … But that call won’t be made until Friday.”

Archived